• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

watson

Banned
Just noticed that CricketArchive spells Leyland's first name as Morris, not Maurice.

The Home of CricketArchive

This is actually correct as Morris appears on his birth certificate. Apparently, the name Maurice was first accidently used by Wisden, and the mistake has stuck ever since.

So Morris Leyland it is.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A team innings is measured in runs per over, bowling economies are measured in runs per over, but why does individual batting still use runs per 100 balls? Would make it much easier to understand for people new to the game if a batsman's SR was runs per over.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Because batsmen typically do not get to face the full over. And measuring per 100 balls makes a lot of sense over a whole career as batsmen with decent careers end up facing thousands of balls anyways.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because batsmen typically do not get to face the full over. And measuring per 100 balls makes a lot of sense over a whole career as batsmen with decent careers end up facing thousands of balls anyways.
I think he means instead of runs per 100 balls, you just calculate runs per 6 balls. It'd be easier to compare economy rates with strike rates that way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Oh ok. Yeah, probably... but somehow I think the 100 balls actually makes it easier. Might be interesting if some broadcaster started using it though.

cnerd123

likes this
Ive seen some TV channel do that once - they adjusted the Strike Rates to make them the Batsmen's 'scoring rate' or something.

Its an interesting idea. Would be unintuitive to me since I'm so used to the normal SR, but might be easier for newer fans to grasp.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
A team innings is measured in runs per over, bowling economies are measured in runs per over, but why does individual batting still use runs per 100 balls? Would make it much easier to understand for people new to the game if a batsman's SR was runs per over.

I often find myself converting SR to rpo as it just seems to make more sense to me........so I reckon this isn't a bad idea.

The other thing I don't like is in LO games towards the end of the chasing innings when they start talking about runs required and balls remaining...........that **** just doesn't compute with me at all. 120 required off 80 balls......wtf?? tell me it's 9 runs per over, that I understand.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I often find myself converting SR to rpo as it just seems to make more sense to me........so I reckon this isn't a bad idea.

The other thing I don't like is in LO games towards the end of the chasing innings when they start talking about runs required and balls remaining...........that **** just doesn't compute with me at all. 120 required off 80 balls......wtf?? tell me it's 9 runs per over, that I understand.
Haha I actually like that. Somehow makes the game more exciting if you think in terms of actual runs and balls left if it's a close one.

Victor Ian

International Coach
once i was at a ODI at the MCG - At the end on the scoreboard it displayed Run Rate Required...6 per over, 7 per over, 9 per over 15 per over, etc. The last amount was Run Rate Required... ALOT. Now that is simple to understand!

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Always wondered why no balls are counted against batsman's 'ball faced' count when by default they are legally invalid deliveries.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
It's because batsmen can score runs off them. A batsman could theoretically have 4 (0) otherwise.
Yes what is wrong in that? The delivery is considered invalid from the team's point of view anyways, why deny the benefits to the batsman? The bowler bowls a 150 full toss missile at the batsman's head which he fends off and get called a no ball but still loses a delivery against his name? That is not just imho.