• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

BeeGee

International Captain
Freak wicket, that.

Haque looks down and finds he has a third ball between his legs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
btw

NEW ZEALAND SPIN BOWLER > FOURTH QUICK ARGUMENT

2011 - 2013

"Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty I'm Free At Last."

REST IN PEACE

and hopefully

GRANT BRADBURN'S OPINION COUNTING

2013 - 2013

"The Last Stooge"

GO TO HELL

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Both openers fell to sweeping from off stump. Maybe they need to learn to sweep only from middle and leg.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
should only sweep from outside off IMO. Perfectly safe.
It is lunch break so just to make conversation I will make a long reply to this. I am not married to the following opinion - just want to see what you say in reply.
NZ traditionally has a love hate relationship with the sweep. Better players of spin use their feet more than they sweep. Our best player of spin is Williamson hands down and the way he ticks it over is to chip down the track rather than sweeping.
Ian Smith recalls a test match from the 80s in his autobiography where they were told if you get out sweeping you will not be playing the next test. So nobody swept and some off spinner got on top of the new zealanders finally John Bracewell came in who had missed the team meeting and he made a fighting 80 by sweeping anything and everything and nz made it to 270 odd.

That example excepted I have seen numerous dismissals out sweeping. Sure getting your pad outside the line of off stump might be safe but still seems to be a high risk shot overall unless you can either get your pad outside the line or its missing the stumps.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I guess its fun to have alternate views. We had Bangers on the ropes at 12-2 and then brought on our spinners in the 7th over. A combination of Wagner and Anderson instead might have dismissed Mominul (he's not that great) and saved us 180 runs. Bartin basically got his eye in. 2 spinners and 2 seamers did not prove to be a successful formulation. I note that in your team for the next match you have even opted for an additional seamer as well.
It was strange captaincy in any case to bring Martin on so early. Perhaps McCullum trying a little too hard to be unpredictable instead of just leaving the new ball with fast bowlers in the few overs in which it may move off the straight.

For my team I think that if you zoom in, and then zoom in again, and then look a little closer at the available options, and then get out your microscope, once you reach the level of magnification of a gnat's balls and quantum weirdness then in these conditions Martin is just edged out by the other two. Not the right type of spin bowler for this sort of slow damp subcontinental pitch and is just generally not accurate enough - Vettori flighty straight-breaks but with a four-ball every over or two, thus completely removing the benefit of being a Vettori-clone in the first place.