• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am bemused how their spinners got less turn today than both Bartin and Sodhi. Their spinners were still better as they bowled less gifts but nonetheless we turned it more, how can this be?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My main memories of bradburn is that a)he was a successful stalwart for ND cricket.
b) realise he was a batsman but the boy could also bowl. He had an unusual method of gripping the ball if I remember correctly. Sort of in all four fingers rather than his first two fingers and in his ODI debut he clean bowled geoff marsh with a beaut and I was pumped on off spin bowling afterwards.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Always thought Bradburn was a bowling allrounder. His record definitely seems to indicate as much.
when I knew him before I left the country he batted 3 for ND unless my memory is screwed.

cricinfo says he batted 6,7,6,3 in 1990 in odis so maybe he slipped down the order later.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Could you rephrase this? I don't quite understand what you are suggesting here..
Cliffs notes - Sodhi is young and impressionable and could get his confidence shattered.
Yeah Sodhi grew up idolising Kumble and Vettori, and gave the Black Caps a pretty lofty pedestal by modern NZ standards. He's not one of these guys who'd swiftly trade in national cricket honours for the cachet of 'better' sports.

Cricket | Ish Sodhi in a Spin After Rapid Rise | Stuff.co.nz

BeeGee

International Captain
Always thought Bradburn was a bowling allrounder. His record definitely seems to indicate as much.
A bowler who could bat, yes. His batting improved as his career went on and he moved up the order. A bit like Styris.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
It may be a road but nonetheless if we had've selected another seamer and IFF (with two fs) that bowler had chipped in with 2 wickets early in the piece then we might have gotten amongst Bangers.
Some speculative stats for you:

Our three seamers - 7 wickets for 180 runs. A bowling average of 25.

Our three spinners - 3 wickets for 308 runs. A bowling average of 102.

Using those bowling stats as a benchmark, it you replaced one spinner with a seamer then Bangladesh would have scored aprox. 100 runs less than they did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can anyone explain why Corey Anderson is listed as such on a cricinfo scorecard when everyone else gets initials plus surname?

Challis

U19 12th Man
**** the umpiring has been good in this game- back to the old school benefit of the doubt rule which seems to be employed less liberally with DRS since they are less scared of making mistakes.
But watch it Kane I don't want to make history here let some other team lose.
it has generally been really good but I do remember one crucial decision going against BD, just before Watling got his 50. I thought there was a pretty plumb LBW decision not given against Boult. If that had been given then NZ would have been all out for 360 odd, which would have been way below par on this pitch. I know I'm being uber critical but I can't help thinking what if...

I am bemused how their spinners got less turn today than both Bartin and Sodhi. Their spinners were still better as they bowled less gifts but nonetheless we turned it more, how can this be?
That's probably because the BD spinners don't actually spin the ball much. Razzak is a very ordinary Test bowler, his style is more suited to ODIs, he relies on accuracy and darts the ball, rather than giving flight. Shakib used to spin and flight the ball but again he is now changing his style, probably due to the vast amount of T20 games he plays. I think he is also coming back from an injury, so that might be hampering his bowling.
I think it was Sanjay Manjrekar who came up with statement "the Bangladesh spinners had cracked the art of not spinning the ball". That pretty much sums it up. Whilst it is effective in ODIs and T20s it is pretty docile in Test cricket.
I think it would have been better if Enamul Haque Jr or Elias sunny had been selected instead of Razzak.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing some frustrated comments on cricinfo with people saying neither team has been aggressive enough to force a result, but their is only one reason this game will be a draw - roady road
Absolutely. And watching this session before the rain I saw a touch more spin but nothing at all that would suggest a result is achievable.

It may be a road but nonetheless if we had've selected another seamer and IFF (with two fs) that bowler had chipped in with 2 wickets early in the piece then we might have gotten amongst Bangers.
Nothing I've seen on 'tv' or read in this thread has drawn me into being anything other than a selection nihilist for this match - as in, nobody else that we could have picked would have made a lick of difference to how our bowling unit performed. Yes Southee would have improved it because he is quality, but he's injured. At a stretch, just maybe the unknown that is Milne might have made a difference, though I wouldn't count on it. I think the posts along the lines of the above are just wishful thinking - the narrative that Wagner (frequently maligned on this forum as a mediocre placeholder) would have made a noticeable difference on that pace-bowlers' graveyard is a fantasy. If Wagner had been selected (in place of Sodhi as seems to be the consensus here) and I'd been asked to forecast his bowling figures on this wicket I would have come up with something in line with the 2/112 that Sodhi got. Some huff and puff, good effort, running in hard etc, but still someone of his ability trying to get something out of this pitch would be banging his head against a brick wall. And reverse? Nah.

Hard to see either how this could be anything but useful experience for Sodhi, a guy that two years from now may be worth picking and sticking with long term. No he didn't deserve to be in the squad but I don't think it's hurt us in this match. He certainly has more of a future than any other of our spinners. I was never keen on Bartin's flighty high-arm spin in Bangladesh and he duly was our worst bowler conceding 4+ per over and no wickets, but he's been designated our current first choice spinner over the equally sub-mediocre Patel and that was always going to see him selected. And I'd accept that because I don't want the poisoned first-choice-spinner chalice passed to Sodhi yet.

It's a road. And Monimul batted well and Bangladesh did not offer many gifts. This is a pitch where TRENT BOULT scored 52* and looked comfortable doing so. All he or anyone else with a bat needed to do to score runs on this wicket was concentrate, prop forward, defend straight and occasionally hit through the line. Most of the wickets we lost were foolish or overly ambitious shot selection; it is a disgrace that we were ever 342/9 on this and we are damn lucky that Watling and Boult dug us out of that. We should have scored 520+ though.

Bowling attack for next match: Boult, Williamson, Southee if available. Flip a coin for the rest.

Edit: If I was forced to choose in order to win the next match with Southee unavailable I'd go Boult, Bracewell, Wagner, Sodhi, (Williamson), (Anderson). But then I'd be stuck with Sodhi as the number one spinner after this series and that's not a good idea.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This has probably been ranted about a countless number of times by the NZers on here already (haven't had time to read much) but I find it both hilarious and infuriating that Williamson, arguably the 3rd spinner in this game, was again trusted with the bulk of the overs. Such a horrible team balance; a proper 6th batsman or proper 3rd seamer could have been so useful.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing I've seen on 'tv' or read in this thread has drawn me into being anything other than a selection nihilist for this match
Edit: If I was forced to choose in order to win the next match with Southee unavailable I'd go Boult, Bracewell, Wagner, Sodhi, (Williamson), (Anderson). But then I'd be stuck with Sodhi as the number one spinner after this series and that's not a good idea.
I guess its fun to have alternate views. We had Bangers on the ropes at 12-2 and then brought on our spinners in the 7th over. A combination of Wagner and Anderson instead might have dismissed Mominul (he's not that great) and saved us 180 runs. Bartin basically got his eye in. 2 spinners and 2 seamers did not prove to be a successful formulation. I note that in your team for the next match you have even opted for an additional seamer as well.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
A bowler who could bat, yes. His batting improved as his career went on and he moved up the order. A bit like Styris.
The Home of CricketArchive

The Home of CricketArchive

These matches are ten years apart but he came in at 7 for both of them for ND. Check out the names on the first card. For NZ in 1990 he started off at 7 but by the year 2000 he was batting at 9 or 10 for the ODI team according to cricinfo.

Don't know why I thought he was a number 3.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This has probably been ranted about a countless number of times by the NZers on here already (haven't had time to read much) but I find it both hilarious and infuriating that Williamson, arguably the 3rd spinner in this game, was again trusted with the bulk of the overs. Such a horrible team balance; a proper 6th batsman or proper 3rd seamer could have been so useful.
If Kane keeps outbowling the rest of them, he'll keep getting big overs.

I've been saying it for ages - as long as Kane is bowling as he is, and Bucko/Ish aren't up to it, we play an extra batsman or seamer based on the conditions. Not saying the extra batsman (Brownlie) would've scored runs but often creating scoreboard pressure by scoring 500+ is worth an extra bowler on its own, especially against a side of Bangladesh's inexperience.

You'd like to think that's the way they'd go for the 2nd Test but I'm willing to wager it'll be either Ish or Bucko out (probably the former) for Wagner, in the pursuit of reverse

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not much interest left in this match, but I hope one of our guys can at least rack up a decent total today.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another solid 50 for Fulton. Hope he doesn't throw it away in the 70s this time.