• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
iirc Hesson pretty much picked this squad, when it was annouced littlejohn was already on the outer,
I find the two leggies odd cause when McHesson dropped Astle for the South African tour they pretty much said we wont a finger spinner to tie up an end so we can attack with Southee/Boult.
Given we have a surpluss of left armers surely the push should be on finding a quality offspinner/chinaman to complement them - i personally think that it is a negative to Kanes development for him to be expected to throw 10-15 overs a day and eventually have to go to perth for testing.
So imo it would have been better to have taken a punt on Craig/Singh/Johnstone, because in the likely event on both Astle and Sodhi been taken to in this game who are you going to use to tie up an end, Gillespie goes for plenty as did Bracewell last time he was in the sub continent Cachopa/Neesham ??

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
It's harder to develop and benefit from an A tour when you're being played massively out of your usual position as 4 of the current top 6 are.
Richardson's first game as an opener was on an A tour, it is an oppourtunity for Broom because he is starting to run out of time, and given that it is india the best place to bat usually is opening the batting

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
iirc Hesson pretty much picked this squad, when it was annouced littlejohn was already on the outer,
Yeah I agree with that, found it really odd Littlejohn and Buchanan were both on tour with the U19s at the time the squad was put out. Tastle fits in with Hesson's 'if playing two spinners, one must bat' rule.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Often seems a very poor player of spin to me Raval, just from some PS wickets I've seen. Only pressed on past 50 once last year as well.
Prior to moving to CD he scored a few big hundreds for Auckland and was quite like MacIntosh would go big than have a poor run, his move coincided with the change in scoring system and i wonder if the need to accelerate the scoring for points has caused him to throw away his wicket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a seriously mediocre attack we've put out. Not even FC standard ffs.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll understand if they get out to Ladda or Kulkarni, but if they don't pile it on against the rest...well..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Richardson's first game as an opener was on an A tour, it is an oppourtunity for Broom because he is starting to run out of time, and given that it is india the best place to bat usually is opening the batting
I don't disagree with that, but then again unlike Mike5181 with his eternal love of Neil Broom (:p) I don't think Broom is likely to succeed for NZ. So he might as well open and perhaps one day may get to be more NZ opener grist to the international fast bowlers' mill.

Run out for 10 though is a bit of bad luck... or bad management.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't disagree with that, but then again unlike Mike5181 with his eternal love of Neil Broom (:p) I don't think Broom is likely to succeed for NZ. So he might as well open and perhaps one day may get to be more NZ opener grist to the international fast bowlers' mill.

Run out for 10 though is a bit of bad luck... or bad management.
I would agree with that when you look at the current side there is only one middle order spot available until McCullum retires following the World cup, in an ideal world McHesson would like someone who can justify there place with the bat and bowl some medium pace hence the inclusion of Cachopa/Anderson/Neesham/Munro with Ryder being possibly there prefered choice

51/3 ffs

Mike5181

International Captain
I would agree with that when you look at the current side there is only one middle order spot available until McCullum retires following the World cup, in an ideal world McHesson would like someone who can justify there place with the bat and bowl some medium pace hence the inclusion of Cachopa/Anderson/Neesham/Munro with Ryder being possibly there prefered choice

51/3 ffs
McCullum's move down the order effectively killed any chance of Broom playing test matches in the middle-order so perhaps it isn't the worst idea. I don't expect the guy to dominate or even do well at test level given the chance. Williamson, Taylor, Ryder, Baz and probably Brownlie are all better than him. But the fact that Guptill and Flynn have played close to 60 test matches between them and he hasn't played one is baffling.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
105/5. Ronchi-tonk badonkadonk having a bit of a flail.

Seriously...what the hell is up with this top 6? I'd probably rate this top 6 as weaker than that of CD, Canterbury and Otago from last season's PS. FFS, even ND would give this lineup a run for their money.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel so sorry for Neil Broom. With Ryder out until next year and Brownlie and Guptill fighting a feracious battle for the title of "world's ****test middle order bat" he's got a real chance to push for a place. And what happens? ****knuckle selectors make him an opener on the NZA tour...just 'coz. That top 6 is a disgrace and whoever selected the squad for this tour should get sacked (if they haven't been already).
Tastle should've opened, clearly.

Flem274*

123/5
105/5. Ronchi-tonk badonkadonk having a bit of a flail.

Seriously...what the hell is up with this top 6? I'd probably rate this top 6 as weaker than that of CD, Canterbury and Otago from last season's PS. FFS, even ND would give this lineup a run for their money.
and for our international readers, this isn't even hyperbole for once.

The Canterbury number 5 and Otago number 4 batsmen opened the batting, Wellington's number 7 is batting at 5, Otago's number 8 batted at six, and we have Dougeh, two of the least successful Plunket Shield spinners, Wellington's fast bowling headache and Otago's 4th seamer to defend this modest total with in the wake of injury and naievity on the part of three of our bowling options.

NZ A indeed.