• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the most overated player from the subcontinent, ever?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, regarding Kumble, no other bowler got anywhere close to him that game, the Aussie bowlers only managed 9 wickets between them for the match,Kumble also had to bowl to openers who were well set both digs. On a pitch that offered the bowlers nothing that performance was quite special.

As for Sanga/Jayawardene, I think it's fair to say that Mahela is overrated somewhat, as he has no consistency outside the SC, but I think Sanga deserves the praise he gets, he averages 55 and has made big runs overseas. Although his record doesn't quite compare to others outside the SC, I think every player has some trouble in foreign conditions, and Sanga is one of few SC batsmen who is able to hold himself together outside the SC. Take the recent Boxing day test for example, Sanga was the only one who could hold a bat it seemed. Until he got injured and literally couldn't hold the bat that is.

BeeGee

International Captain
Tendulkar.

A great batsman, but his legend has been blown way out of proportion to reality.

the big bambino

International Captain
Good to see the discussion cleared up abt Kumble. I've done a bit of a sketchy review of spinners in Australia and bottom line, its a tough gig. Over the history of tests in Oz Kumble is one of the best spinners to come here.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see the discussion cleared up abt Kumble. I've done a bit of a sketchy review of spinners in Australia and bottom line, its a tough gig. Over the history of tests in Oz Kumble is one of the best spinners to come here.
Probably the best in the last 15 years, only Vettori and Kaneria come to mind as other spinners who really had success here (in that timeframe).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, regarding Kumble, no other bowler got anywhere close to him that game, the Aussie bowlers only managed 9 wickets between them for the match,Kumble also had to bowl to openers who were well set both digs. On a pitch that offered the bowlers nothing that performance was quite special.

As for Sanga/Jayawardene, I think it's fair to say that Mahela is overrated somewhat, as he has no consistency outside the SC, but I think Sanga deserves the praise he gets, he averages 55 and has made big runs overseas. Although his record doesn't quite compare to others outside the SC, I think every player has some trouble in foreign conditions, and Sanga is one of few SC batsmen who is able to hold himself together outside the SC. Take the recent Boxing day test for example, Sanga was the only one who could hold a bat it seemed. Until he got injured and literally couldn't hold the bat that is.
Australia in the 00s was the most spin unfriendly country in the world (even Warne averaged 29), and for Kumble to perform as he did in a series of flat decks and huge scores was remarkable.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tendulkar is definitely the most overrated. I don't think anyone else even comes close.

Had to laugh at the guy who suggestdd Laxman tho - if anything, Laxman is probably the most underrated batsman the subcontinent has ever produced.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar is definitely the most overrated. I don't think anyone else even comes close.

Had to laugh at the guy who suggestdd Laxman tho - if anything, Laxman is probably the most underrated batsman the subcontinent has ever produced.
That was me, coming from an Australian perspective, we all think he is a legend but the reality is that he averaged 45 in an age of flat decks and was mediocre in SA and England, good batsman, but not a legend as sometimes thought in Australia. Definitely not the most overrated of all time though, just throwing his name in.

watson

Banned
That was me, coming from an Australian perspective, we all think he is a legend but the reality is that he averaged 45 in an age of flat decks and was mediocre in SA and England, good batsman, but not a legend as sometimes thought in Australia. Definitely not the most overrated of all time though, just throwing his name in.
Some batsman are better than their average suggests because not everyone wants to be brutally focused all the time.

Laxman was one of those type of batsman, and a legend because he was so good to watch.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Some batsman are better than their average suggests because not everyone wants to be brutally focused all the time.

Laxman was one of those type of batsman, and a legend because he was so good to watch.
I prefer watching Ian bell bat than Alastair Cook and Kevin Pietersen. Doesn't means he's a better batsman than them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Laxman is over-rated, and I say that despite Laxman being a shoe-in for my all time XI where the criteria is whether I liked watching them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interesting to see the Sydney game discussed so much.. To me, that game was an example of how overrated Sachin's greatness has become.. That knock was just unbelieveable once he got past 100 or even 150 given the state of the game, the pitch and the opposition's batting strength.. It was almost like this second 120 runs was the very antithesis of his first 120.. It is one thing to cut out certain risks to ensure you get a start and get a score and get yourself in, but quite another to be adamant about not trying to bat normally even when it is obvious that the team and the situation demands it. That and his 194 in Pak were examples of such knocks..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But the most over-rated has to be among blokes like Mohammed Yousuf Youhana and Jayawardene and even Ganguly to an extent. Blokes who are amazingly good at home but sitting ducks abroad. (well, that was a stretch but you get the point.. )

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I prefer watching Ian bell bat than Alastair Cook and Kevin Pietersen. Doesn't means he's a better batsman than them.
Bit disingenuous comparing Laxman with the Sherminator. Bell will never have Laxman's game sense. I get where you're coming from but has there been a more consistent batsman against Australia in the last twenty years? Other than Tendulkar, of course. His last tour obviously had an impact on his overall stats but he's been so effective against them over the years.

akilana

International 12th Man
But the most over-rated has to be among blokes like Mohammed Yousuf Youhana and Jayawardene and even Ganguly to an extent. Blokes who are amazingly good at home but sitting ducks abroad. (well, that was a stretch but you get the point.. )
But they are not overrated. Their names don't pop up when you discuss the top players from the last 15 years.