• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Raval is only a thing because of that 55 Auckland venues average tbh, I don't think any of you would be even attracted to him if he was a Wellington opener averaging about 34. Crabs across, glances off hip, four runs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Raval is only a thing because of that 55 Auckland venues average tbh, I don't think any of you would be even attracted to him if he was a Wellington opener averaging about 34. Crabs across, glances off hip, four runs.
He has that Seddon Park 100 this season, but would want to see another one away from home to shake his reputation as a home town bully.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So does that mean you're in the Latham camp? You don't seem to be a big Rutherford fan either.

Outside choice Daniel Flynn?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So does that mean you're in the Latham camp? You don't seem to be a big Rutherford fan either.

Outside choice Daniel Flynn?
Yeah I'd be with you on Latham over Rutherford for the Indian series, I watched Latham's full innings in Dambulla for NZ A a while back obvs. Reached the end of that video with neither a 'put a line through Latham for a while' nor a 'get him in there' feeling. A bit fiddly and creasebound, and we still haven't really seen him playing the short ball well since he looked dire against it vs. India A at Lincoln. There is undeniably more strike rotation and a much higher activity rate with Latham though, and less retardation against spin. You can also see him berate himself harshly for mistakes with his body language and showing an intense commitment to improve, which is good.

Kippax's tl;dr answer is that they're all just placeholders until 2017 or so, obvs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon prior to this round Latham as the incumbent A team opener and skipper was a lot closer to the test side than CW as a whole would have him. Hesson won't pick front foot dominant batsmen like Papps no matter how many runs he scores and the selectors don't appear to rate Raval. It's between Latham and Guptill and if Latham gets a double today he is the next cab off the rank imo.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I reckon prior to this round Latham as the incumbent A team opener and skipper was a lot closer to the test side than CW as a whole would have him. Hesson won't pick front foot dominant batsmen like Papps no matter how many runs he scores and the selectors don't appear to rate Raval. It's between Latham and Guptill and if Latham gets a double today he is the next cab off the rank imo.
It's pretty clear that Latham is liked within the NZ setup so they'll obviously be happy with the runs he's scoring. I just honestly can't see them dropping Rutherford or Fulton yet. They haven't been terrible at all and I do believe our selectors have moved on slightly from the days of discarding openers at the first opportunity.

I'd be really interested to know whether Latham got told to open in FC by Hesson etc or whether he chose to do so because he saw that as his best opportunity. He always opened in age group cricket so it's not anything new to him but he'd done alright in the middle order until now. He probably is a natural opener in a similar mold to someone like Langer, good tight defense but enough shots once he gets going. He and Rutherford could form an excellent partnership if they figure things out at the top level.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Question is, do you want him in the team yet?

Flem274*

123/5
Haven't watched his knock yet, but as I said in the Rutherford chat we have time before India to let blokes play and string a good run of scores together before making a decision. No sense in rushing.

But his stocks have gone up from 24 hours ago. Would love to see him back this up in the next few games.