• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Weerasundara's strength can also be his weakness, he shouldn't reign it in for fear of getting out. He's already good at it so he should aim to perfect it. Where he needs to improve is the compulsive hooking and not being a front foot plonker.

He's Martin Guptill, but a Guptill we still have time to rescue.
Yeah the shot choices are so callow and low percentage at times with him though that they're really well beyond execution, aren't they? That one that sailed between Haddin and Clarke Jnr. at 2:50 - he was trying for an encore of that shot of his from April PEWS liked on a pitch with twice the bounce. There is one cut where he gets back in his crease just a little bit. Considering the bounce in those tracks, a pity that there was just one of those that stood out.

I'd personally want him to listen to Hendrix and readjust any mindset of 'I'm not the crux; I'm just an okay player in this team' before their WC tbh. An ex-ND coach like Bradburn probably won't be telling anyone to isolate themselves with a Crowe-like self-regard for the ultimate good of the team, but the composition of that squad demands it. The bowling attack will be begging for someone to calmly supply them with 220 to defend against top nations.

Playlists for the Darwin and Lincoln series -

NZ U19's Top End Tour (June-July 2013) - YouTube

Australia U19's Tour of NZ (March-April 2013) - YouTube

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It does fly off his bat nicely ,though. P.S. crap decision LBW for his last dismissal.

From a previous video of yours summarizing one of those matches - you had put up text of Weearsundera and McClure partnership at bottom of screen, but I couldn't tell which of them was smoking those shots over long on, now I know.

Last edited:

MichaelJ2000

Cricket Spectator
There has been some chat about Watson in this thread. Seems to have impressed some peeps.
I heard that he has been working closely with Vettori and Mark O'Donnell for a few years now. O'Donnell coaches 1st XI cricket at Auckland Grammar. Coaching Chris Gayle one day, and schoolboy cricket the next! :laugh: I also re-call reading an article where Guptill mentioned him as one to watch, before the tour of Sri Lanka last year.

Dane Watson, 4/31 vs. Australia U19 - YouTube

Definitely puts a rev or two on it, judging from the available footage. I don't know where he stands in terms of Auckland selection. Maybe a Ford Trophy game of two would be good for him. Would love to see the wickets have more in them for spinners this season!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I heard that he has been working closely with Vettori and Mark O'Donnell for a few years now. O'Donnell coaches 1st XI cricket at Auckland Grammar. Coaching Chris Gayle one day, and schoolboy cricket the next! :laugh: I also re-call reading an article where Guptill mentioned him as one to watch, before the tour of Sri Lanka last year.

Dane Watson, 4/31 vs. Australia U19 - YouTube

Definitely puts a rev or two on it, judging from the available footage. I don't know where he stands in terms of Auckland selection. Maybe a Ford Trophy game of two would be good for him. Would love to see the wickets have more in them for spinners this season!
Welcome to CW Michael.

Immenso

As per last year, a good sensible calendar with just the one month gap in Plunket Shield around Xmas for the HRV.

As per last year, kudos to David White, and his Friday night cricket and better structured season than the Vaughan era 3 month pause.

jcas0167

International Debutant
The bowling attack looks like it has a few promising bowlers. The tall blonde can bowl. And the off-spinner looks nice. He was mentioned in the Paul Wiseman article as well. Both have some good figures behind them too. Has anyone heard of Ken McClure from Canterbury? He has scored a lot of runs for the U19s. Looks solid.
Big wraps from Paul Wiseman in January 2010:

With the bat, captain Ananthan Yugaraja will be leading the attack along with youngster Kenneth McClure, who Wiseman describes as a “mini Ross Taylor”.
Wellington Cricket- Young stars to watch at under 17's

Flem274*

123/5
What parts and how much of Rossco does he channel though?

Hopefully it's the exquisite balance when playing square and the brutal cover drives, rather than the hockey talent minus an effective offside game.

It's probably his hockey skills.

Immenso

Actually, much more of the HRV will be Xmas than usual. They are doing 2 televised games in a row at the same venue on consecutive days, rather than just Friday nights.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, which can only be a good thing. Good to see them continuing the Eden Park experiment with T20 - had some decent-ish crowds last year, so hope it goes from strength to strength this summer.

My only complaint, as usual, is that the final is the only Ford Trophy game we get to see on TV.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
What parts and how much of Rossco does he channel though?

Hopefully it's the exquisite balance when playing square and the brutal cover drives, rather than the hockey talent minus an effective offside game.

It's probably his hockey skills.
It is actually the fact his slog sweepz have some gud bat speed and can go for the occasional maximum, apparently. :p

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hope we win the test series.

will zaheer be playing by then? if not we could win as their spinners have never been great shakes down here.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
that series is a massive opportunity. If we get through Pujara and Kohli anything could happen

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2 tests and 5 ODI's? Why not 3 ODI's and 2 T20's? More ad revenue from ODI's or something?

Oh well, at least we've got it nailed down now. And it'll be nice to watch tests in February for a change. The weather can get distinctly ****ty in the back end of March.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
that series is a massive opportunity. If we get through Pujara and Kohli anything could happen
I'd wait until after India's tour of South Africa before deciding how big of an opportunity this is. I get the feeling that this Indian team is a whole different kettle of fish from the rabble that got bounced 8-0 in 2011/12. Still, time will tell.