• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Flem274*

123/5
Reading about Stokes in the Ashes subbie has made me wonder what we would have to do to attract the likes of Stokes and James Fuller back to their homeland.

Andy Caddick being arguably the best New Zealand bowler of the 1990s should have been the point we said never again. I think Fuller has one of the highest ceilings I've seen from a New Zealand player in recent times and from what I've heard of Stokes he is no mug either.

We've been pretty good at attracting the odd player with a bit of heritage like Brownlie and Redmond, and South Africa views us as a way to sneak their undesirables into test cricket, but we can do better.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Reading about Stokes in the Ashes subbie has made me wonder what we would have to do to attract the likes of Stokes and James Fuller back to their homeland.

Andy Caddick being arguably the best New Zealand bowler of the 1990s should have been the point we said never again. I think Fuller has one of the highest ceilings I've seen from a New Zealand player in recent times and from what I've heard of Stokes he is no mug either.

We've been pretty good at attracting the odd player with a bit of heritage like Brownlie and Redmond, and South Africa views us as a way to sneak their undesirables into test cricket, but we can do better.
Can't see it happening often, at least for the young guys playing in England. The top English county pro's don't get paid much less than the NZC's top contracted players. Not many players will want to give up a steady and respectable income earnt playing in front of actual crowds, to go and spend 4 years earning barely minimum wage, with no guarantee of success at the end of it. Yes, you'll get the odd weirdo like Roger Twose, for whom the lure of international cricket overrides all other considerations, but they'll tend to be few and far between. We should probably focus on just trying to keep our own young talents playing the game (you will be missed Harry) before we start looking overseas.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I hope we sign Jarvis again #shieldinthebag

Jarvis being the quality workhorse and swing bowler we rotate our squad of young, gun and brittle quicks around would be swell.

Wouldn't mind some Brendan Taylor to glue the post-Sinclair middle order together either.

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Jesse Ryder has tested positive for a banned stimulant
Jesse Ryder tests positive for drug - report - Cricket News | TVNZ

Jesse says he purchased a weight loss product over the counter, checked it on google and decided that the product was safe to take ... obviously it wasn't
His legal team argued that the product was 'mislabeled'
They are talking a 6 month ban ie all of the domestic cricket.

Ross Dykes must be stoked.

It is pretty impressive by NZC that this appears to have been going on even before the chrishchurch incident and it was kept quiet.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As a result of todays revelations about his positive drugs test, Jesse's finally made some definitive statements about his goals re getting back into the Blackcaps:

"All going well I'd push for the West Indies tour [in December] but that's probably not realistic.

"I'd have to perform pretty well over the start of the summer to get a look in at that. Hopefully, all going well, the Indian series [in January-February]."

So there you have it. No more vague, will-he, won't-he references of wanting to return to international cricket "when I'm ready". Hopefully this means he will also take his training a bit more seriously, and actually apply himself at the crease, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon Hesson will be telling him how he scores his runs will affect his chances as much as how many runs he scores.

He's a walk in back into the ODI opening slot though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's not thinking straight right now possibly still dealing with some issues. I realise he is gen Y but rocking up to Campbell live with a hoody and a baseball cap on - something is not quite right about that. I am confident Dan Carter would not dress like that to be on TV.

Also his answer to whether the drinking is under control sounded suspiciously like it isn't under control or that it is a struggle.

MichaelJ2000

Cricket Spectator
I hear a lot about Weerasundara when the current U19's are being spoken about. Are there any other real talents out there? What is the bowling attack like? What happened to Seifert? I seemed to think he was the one to watch from this group of U19's.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's not thinking straight right now possibly still dealing with some issues. I realise he is gen Y but rocking up to Campbell live with a hoody and a baseball cap on - something is not quite right about that. I am confident Dan Carter would not dress like that to be on TV.

Also his answer to whether the drinking is under control sounded suspiciously like it isn't under control or that it is a struggle.
Very unfair comparison. I'm comfortable that Zac Guildford would have no qualms turning up dressed as Ryder has.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Very unfair comparison. I'm comfortable that Zac Guildford would have no qualms turning up dressed as Ryder has.
Disagree, when Guildford has come out and apologised for his many offences he tidied himself up
Jesse can dress how ever he likes imo, though people will judge him for it

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Seiffert did score plenty of runs in the U19 'test' (a 97 and a 60 odd) that was turned into a farcical non-test 12 aside match by our ODI obsessed administrators. So wont appear on any permanent records. Did bigger all after that in the ODIs both here and there, but I think we can assume the talent is there. Still pissed with Buchanan about that.

You should look at Plunket Promise YouTube channel, Kippax posted plenty of video of the U19s.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guildford's offenses have been far worse than Ryder's, IMO. He's also had a far more supportive team environment and better management. This despite the fact that Ryder is far, far more important to NZC than Guildford is to NZRU.

There's a new schoolboy winger every couple of years that one could pick out to play for the ABs within a couple of seasons.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The thing about Weerasundara is that while beautiful drives on the up are, well, beautiful, one really hopes that he learns shot selection too. It's nice to have those shots, but he really shouldn't be playing them very often as a top order batsman.

As with Kane and those ***y back foot drives.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah Weerasundara's strength can also be his weakness, he shouldn't reign it in for fear of getting out. He's already good at it so he should aim to perfect it. Where he needs to improve is the compulsive hooking and not being a front foot plonker.

He's Martin Guptill, but a Guptill we still have time to rescue.

MichaelJ2000

Cricket Spectator
The bowling attack looks like it has a few promising bowlers. The tall blonde can bowl. And the off-spinner looks nice. He was mentioned in the Paul Wiseman article as well. Both have some good figures behind them too. Has anyone heard of Ken McClure from Canterbury? He has scored a lot of runs for the U19s. Looks solid.