• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better Dravid or Ponting

Who was better Dravid or Ponting

• Total voters

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sledger was making the point that he doesn't rate Dravid's batting with that post, and TC takes his wicket keeping comment literally.

Come on TC.
I add so much to this forum, I really do. I'm modest too. Great bloke all-round.

Flem274*

123/5
Ponting. Not because he was more attacking which seems to be the main argument in here, but because I think he was simply better. It's close though.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
There's no clear winner for mine although I do know which batsman I'd pick if someone had to bat for my life. And that would be Dravid.

Ponting at his peak was a gun though. He could grind down the opposition to dirt single-handedly. But one gets the feeling that he was relatively more vulnerable at the start of his innings and in some respect, a less ideal #3 test batsman that Dravid. RD was just made for #3.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd take Ponting in his peak ahead of almost anyone; he reached heights only a couple have bettered. That's not the question though. Over the course of a career I think Dravid would add ever so slightly more to a side. Both tailed away towards the end of their careers but I think Dravid held his decline together a bit better; he dug himself out of a few late-career troughs despite looking shot at times and the lone hand he played in England is something Ponting could never have done at the same age.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I do know which batsman I'd pick if someone had to bat for my life.
I find this saying funny. I mean, I can't ever imagine a would-be killer saying, okay I'm going to kill you unless you pick a good Cricketer who will keep you alive with his rock solid technique.

What does a batsman have to actually do in order to keep your life going? Block out an over? make a patient 50? hit a ton? WHATS THE CRITERIA CRICMAHANTY?

TNT

Banned
I find this saying funny. I mean, I can't ever imagine a would-be killer saying, okay I'm going to kill you unless you pick a good Cricketer who will keep you alive with his rock solid technique.

What does a batsman have to actually do in order to keep your life going? Block out an over? make a patient 50? hit a ton? WHATS THE CRITERIA CRICMAHANTY?
Cricketers with lower strike rates and less aggressive techniques apparently will bat better if your life is on the line. Its no secret that if your life is on the line Ponting would play risky shots but Dravid would put up the wall to try and prolong your life.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And what's to say either want the responsibility of batting for your life. It's a lot of pressure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cricketers with lower strike rates and less aggressive techniques apparently will bat better if your life is on the line. Its no secret that if your life is on the line Ponting would play risky shots but Dravid would put up the wall to try and prolong your life.
Didn't watch the 3rd Test in the 2005 Ashes then?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you we're going to choose someone to bat for your life it would be WG Grace wouldn't it?

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd take Ponting in his peak ahead of almost anyone; he reached heights only a couple have better. That's not the question though. Over the course of a career I think Dravid would add ever so slightly more to a side. Both tailed away towards the end of their careers but I think Dravid held his decline together a bit better; he dug himself out of a few late-career troughs despite looking shot at times and the lone hand he played in England is something Ponting could never have done at the same age.
Great post

U19 12th Man
Ponting declined so sharply in the back end of his career it left his numbers not really reflective of what he was as a player. Didn't end up showing quite the longevity, but no question, both up and playing well, Ponting every day of the week.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Ponting easily. Complete mismatch here. Who's Ponting's round 2 opponent: Peter Fulton?
Going a little overboard here. It is not like Ponting is light years ahead of Dravid. Over the course of their careers there is a very strong argument to be made that Dravid was the better batsman.

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
I think that due to consistency I would have to pick Dravid over Ponting... But it also depends on the circumstances...