• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The thing is, people have talked about how England have just been "off their game" for four of their last five series. Maybe it's actually something more than that?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Root and Compton will find it much easier in familiar batting conditions.
Whether more familiar or not, they both had the easiest batting conditions possible in New Zealand, and Compton cashed in.

Purely by aesthetically judging their techniques, Root looks better equipped to score runs in English conditions with the ball moving around a bit more than Compton.

Compton (like Fulton, and basically all the NZ batsmen barring Taylor and Brownlie) will find it much more difficult.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is, people have talked about how England have just been "off their game" for four of their last five series. Maybe it's actually something more than that?
I don't think we played anywhere near our best cricket in NZ and the Kiwis played very well and were no doubt the better side over the 3 tests. That's the only series I'll say were we were "off our game".

India - Excellent performance with both bat and ball.

South Africa - Are simply a much better side than Eng and beat us.

West Indies - Those writing Broad and Bresnan off should look back at this series. Both were excellent and this was less than 12 months ago.

Sri Lanka - Hard to really judge how they went here.....hate 2 test series. Terrible in the first, dominant in the second. If there was a third test and we won it, it would have been a good series performance.......if we'd have lost it, it would have been poor. Juries out on this one for mine.

Pakistan - Terrible. But undone by some unbelievably great spin bowling. It is easy to forget how well our bowlers went in this series though......they certainly did their job.

So all this leads me to believe that whilst we aren't a great side by any means and certainly not as strong as 2010/11.......we certainly shouldn't be concerned with our opposition this summer.

Edit:

My apologies, that last sentence had some Aussieesque arrogance about it!!

What I obviously mean is that we will rightly be favourites going into both series, if we play anywhere close to our potential then we will win. But having said that both NZ and the Aussies are capable of taking advantage if we are off our game and not up for the contest.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But having said that both NZ and the Aussies are capable of taking advantage if we are off our game and not up for the contest.
I think Aussie are but England at home will be heavy favourites to beat us. Our best chance is if Tim Southee finds his SL form in England and takes a series of 5fers.

I also suspect the Parker report will have unsettled the NZ dressing room and Taylor's mind set. I will be surprised if he comes off in the series. Really for Ross to start playing well again it will take some great leadership from BMac to settle him into the side and get him re-focused. I hope Brendon can do that for him because I doubt the coach will based on newspaper reports.

If Ross is allowed to he should take his wife on tour for support.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Although Broad and Bresnan had success against the Windies, I think both didn't bowl as well as they had done against India, and in Broad's case, as well as he did against Pakistan.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I also suspect the Parker report will have unsettled the NZ dressing room and Taylor's mind set. I will be surprised if he comes off in the series.
The dude scored a century and a 75 after being told he wasn't good enough by his coach.

The good thing about scoring runs is that you only have to focus on scoring runs.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Lions team announced for game against NZ.

Pretty strong team

England Lions team to face New Zealand at Grace Road:

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Joe Root (captain, Yorkshire)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Chris Wright (Warwickshire)

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Im surprised Bresnan isn't in the team, i would have thought that he might be competing for a spot with Woakes. Is he therefore already pencilled in for Lords

Jezroy

State Captain
More than one source today saying that Guptill in line for a middle order spot - ie. Not that he will have one, but that's what he is in the squad for.

And considering Taylor and McCullum will be in India and miss the first tour game, makes it kind of obvious that he will get that one at least.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Lions team announced for game against NZ.

Pretty strong team

England Lions team to face New Zealand at Grace Road:

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Joe Root (captain, Yorkshire)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Chris Wright (Warwickshire)
Lions to win?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
More than one source today saying that Guptill in line for a middle order spot - ie. Not that he will have one, but that's what he is in the squad for.

And considering Taylor and McCullum will be in India and miss the first tour game, makes it kind of obvious that he will get that one at least.

ffuuuuuuuuuuu this is awful news.

we have so many better middle order batsmen who deserve a chance more than him. He failed at test level. Go back to domestic level and get better. It's that simple.

stumpski

International Captain
With the first match four days away, I guess the Kiwis must be on the plane by now?

I don't have Test tickets - that's what I have Sky for - but I'm going to the game at Canterbury on 22 June if it's played.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
With the first match four days away, I guess the Kiwis must be on the plane by now?

I don't have Test tickets - that's what I have Sky for - but I'm going to the game at Canterbury on 22 June if it's played.
They've arrived already.

Don't mind Guptill getting some game time. Will be a useful opportunity for him ahead of the odi's.

Will rage so hard if he gets selected ahead of Brownlie though.

Jezroy

State Captain
Don't mind Guptill getting some game time. Will be a useful opportunity for him ahead of the odi's.

Will rage so hard if he gets selected ahead of Brownlie though.
Can still see it happening TBH, if Deano has a bad game first up and Guppy has a good one. I get the feeling that they think Guppy is a good team man to have (especially in the field). Not saying that I don't feel like Brownlie isn't. And I have no evidence to support my claims.

Just saying.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You get the impression it's do or die for Brownlie this series (even first match). Just doesn't have that aura to him I guess, despite being more reliable than Guptill. You get the impression Guptill fits in with a marketing strategy for NZ cricket while Brownlie isn't the kind of guy who is going to feature in ads with Taylor, Vettori, and McCullum for SkyTV...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
what I don't get is that Guptill hasn't even played any first-class cricket since South Africa.

He's done absolutely nothing to be given another opportunity. There are plenty of batsmen who scored good domestic runs who deserve a chance more than him. Flynn scored runs on return to domestic cricket. Neil Broom. Latham etc etc etc

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Last year I saw MG getting off a plane on the way to the Windies. So I wished him well and he gave me a meaningful "thanks man". Dean Brownlie and BJ Watling were standing beside him and they looked nervous that me the fan might engage with them and they avoided eye contact. :ph34r:

Based on this meaningless encounter Guptil has my full support over Brownlie.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I can't help but like Guptill for that reason - everything I've heard has him come across as a genuinely good bloke.

Has experience in English conditions as well, for what it may be worth.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
what I don't get is that Guptill hasn't even played any first-class cricket since South Africa.
The only plunkett shield game he was remotely available for while not tied up with NZ or Injured was on the 30th of Jan, 4 days after the last ODI in RSA, no other players from the ODI squad played that round, not even as substitutes, iirc at a management directive.

And he was dropped by Derby for Chanderpaul, it is a bit hard to compete with Chanders especially when he is available for the full county season.

Hopefully the time off has allowed him to improve his technique.