• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If not for some featherbed wickets in NZ, Compton would have gone down as another Ed Smith, Ian Ward, Usman Afzaal etc. That was painful.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone seems to want Root to open in the ashes with Bairstow at 6 for the ashes.

They're not going to move Root up to open untried for the start of the ashes.
Can't see an alternative - unless they decide to play every game at Taunton so they can bring Trescothick back.

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
Carberry's about the only other semi-realistic candidate for replacement opener that I can think of just now. Not sure what his recent FC form has been like, however.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Terrible. Averaging 22 in the 2nd Division with just the one 50.

Still ripping up the Pro40 though, probably more of a shout for the one day side atm.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fine with not enforcing the followon. More important than winning the game is winning the series. Enforcing the followon actually gives NZ a chance of winning especially on a quick scoring ground like headingley. Chances are if England enforced the followon they win easily but it does greatly increase the chances of NZ winning. Bat 80 overs, let the wicket wear a bit more and keep the bowlers fresh. If it rains it rains.

Journalists and fans tend not to like this because they like to see the game moving forward. And all the journos prefer a spare day to play golf or whatever.
You can make arguments and justify not enforcing a follow on but they are usually flawed. Bowl em out, knock em off and put your feet up. Good teams don't fear outlandish, freak happenings. England will win this Test but with rain around the follow on should be enforced.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Really hoping that Trott doesn't get 50 - because at this rate it would take until the end of the match.

He really must be the most boring batsman who's ever played Test cricket. Although I never saw Trevor Bailey.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Really hoping that Trott doesn't get 50 - because at this rate it would take until the end of the match.

He really must be the most boring batsman who's ever played Test cricket. Although I never saw Trevor Bailey.
Did you see Tavare?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
You can make arguments and justify not enforcing a follow up but they are usually flawed. Bowl em out, knock em off and put your feet up. Good teams don't fear outlandish, freak happenings. England will win this Test but with rain around the follow on should be enforced.
it's easy to say this **** from the sofa with a beer in your hand. Cook and Flower are actually accountable for their decisions.

stumpski

International Captain
Did you see Tavare?
I did, but I think he had more shots than Trott. I don't even understand what he thought he was doing today. Batting again is fine but only if you bat with intent. Only reason we got anywhere near three an over was Cook.

Boycott and Barrington were both dropped for slow scoring; in a way it's a pity that doesn't happen any more. Compton I could understand, he needed time in the middle. I just hope Flower isn't in there now telling Trott he's done a good job.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, but is it me or is Trott's innings borderline pathetic. Needs to be able to change gears when required to be an effective number 3.

Last edited: