• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

BeeGee

International Captain
Says he doesn't remember much after getting out for a duck.
Probably wishes he couldn't remember that either.

The big question I have is if Ryder didn't have a fractured skull (which his quick discharge from hospital suggests) or a collapsed lung, where did that BS come from? Are the media just making that **** up? I saw multiple eye witness accounts saying Ryder was viciously kicked while on the ground. The police charges show that wasn't the case. What the **** is wrong with these people? Does nobody tell the truth anymore?

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Probably wishes he couldn't remember that either.

The big question I have is if Ryder didn't have a fractured skull (which his quick discharge from hospital suggests) or a collapsed lung, where did that BS come from? Are the media just making that **** up? I saw multiple eye witness accounts saying Ryder was viciously kicked while on the ground. The police charges show that wasn't the case. What the **** is wrong with these people? Does nobody tell the truth anymore?
...of course people tell the truth. But memory and the way the brain works is a tricky thing. Watch this video and follow the instructions carefully: (and if you have seen it before, then don't spoil it for others.)

selective attention test - YouTube

People very well may have reported what they thought they saw. The police are at the stage where they have to charge based on what evidence they have.

As for the fractured skull and punctured lung: that goes back to what I mentioned earlier in the thread, the "24 hour news cycle." The way news stories are reported have changed dramatically over the years, sort of kicked off when CNN started and the first gulf war. News is available instantly: when something happens people blog about it, they post videos on youtube, they hit twitter. The "filters" over traditional news like the editing process, etc have had to be put aside in order for the news agencies to still be relevant. They are being beaten to the story by the guy who was just walking past but has a big following on twitter.

If you go back and read the early stories the news agencies were careful to not be absolute with their diagnoses: but they reported what they were hearing from their sources at the time.

So this is what the "24 hour news cycle" is. When something like this happens: it takes at least a day for the rumours, the half-truths, and the other stories to filter out before we start to discover what actually happened. And by that stage the attention span of the general public has generally waned, so any updates to the story that happened are generally ignored. This isn't ideal, and I hate the tabloid nature of things like "Seven Sharp" and even the national news, but it is the way the world works right now, and there is little we can do to change it unfortunately.

BeeGee

International Captain
...of course people tell the truth. But memory and the way the brain works is a tricky thing. Watch this video and follow the instructions carefully: (and if you have seen it before, then don't spoil it for others.)

People very well may have reported what they thought they saw. The police are at the stage where they have to charge based on what evidence they have.

As for the fractured skull and punctured lung: that goes back to what I mentioned earlier in the thread, the "24 hour news cycle." The way news stories are reported have changed dramatically over the years, sort of kicked off when CNN started and the first gulf war. News is available instantly: when something happens people blog about it, they post videos on youtube, they hit twitter. The "filters" over traditional news like the editing process, etc have had to be put aside in order for the news agencies to still be relevant. They are being beaten to the story by the guy who was just walking past but has a big following on twitter.

If you go back and read the early stories the news agencies were careful to not be absolute with their diagnoses: but they reported what they were hearing from their sources at the time.

So this is what the "24 hour news cycle" is. When something like this happens: it takes at least a day for the rumours, the half-truths, and the other stories to filter out before we start to discover what actually happened. And by that stage the attention span of the general public has generally waned, so any updates to the story that happened are generally ignored. This isn't ideal, and I hate the tabloid nature of things like "Seven Sharp" and even the national news, but it is the way the world works right now, and there is little we can do to change it unfortunately.
I got the count wrong by one and I saw the other thing. But I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

I also see dead people.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Someone coined a word for it; churnalism. Get in first, even with half-facts/truths then spend the next 24 hours refining/correcting/outright contradicting.

In the flurry of an event, there's lots of stuff people see/don't see/make-up without even realising it. It doesn't necessarily have malice either. A problem occurs when those first reactions are retrospectively mined and the event is cold, someone runs their eyes over them and they're given a lot more weight than they deserve. For example, 9/11 trutherism. A news agency will correct their final version, a person often has many reasons to hang onto what they believe to be the case.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Someone coined a word for it; churnalism. Get in first, even with half-facts/truths then spend the next 24 hours refining/correcting/outright contradicting.

In the flurry of an event, there's lots of stuff people see/don't see/make-up without even realising it. It doesn't necessarily have malice either. A problem occurs when those first reactions are retrospectively mined and the event is cold, someone runs their eyes over them and they're given a lot more weight than they deserve. For example, 9/11 trutherism. A news agency will correct their final version, a person often has many reasons to hang onto what they believe to be the case.
Churnalism is more about "churning" out stories based off press releases without doing anything to research them such as making calls etc.

What you're describing is more about the nature of 24/7 news, which is as you say, get in first and fastest.

When news is breaking, let's say a car crash, the first thing we do is put up what we know from one call to police or fire, then start looking for more info, witnesses etc. Someone will have been sent to the scene of a serious crash, but before they're there it will be filed. Because it's important to be first. Many of us believe, however, it is more important to be accurate than first. If you can't be fastest and accurate, for God's sake be accurate.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Completely agree with that piece. Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking the Herald were indulging in victim blaming when the news first broke.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, good on him. I've been to a few Angus Little fundraisers over the past year (his dad plays/coaches at Taita and used to play for Wellington) but high-profile donations like Jesse's really help boost the cause, I think.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm 90% sure that smacking someone in the head and causing them to fall over and smack their head, are identical under law, the intent to harm is still there
Yep you'd think so. I wouldn't understand it if they dodged intent because he smacked his head on the concrete. Health wise great news for Ryder though. Hopefully he recovers completely.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I dont think anyone has actually come out and said what his full injuries are but No given that he is suppose to have lung/chest damage.
He has 7 weeks till the end of the IPL, i just dont think its enough time for recover
More relistic might be the Caribean Premier League in 4 months, or the Bangladesh Tour in 6 months. Which would have been the first tour he was available post 1 year stand down.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the most likely is he leaves it all winter and comes back for Wellington next season and sees how he goes from there. Sensible not to rush.

Safe to say he'll get one heck of an ovation when he does walk out to bat again.

Jezroy

State Captain
Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Needs Ronsford Beaton like a hole in the head tbh.

Ronsford BEATON, Jeff Thomson Style Delivery, Beats the Wicket Keeper, 4 BYES - YouTube

Which, luckily enough, he doesn't have.

No Chance Jesse Ryder Will Play IPL | Stuff.co.nz

Cricketer Jesse Ryder's manager has dismissed any prospect of his star charge making a late appearance in the Indian Premier League, although his injuries from an alleged assault are not as serious as first thought.

Defence lawyer Jonathan Eaton claimed in court in Christchurch last week that Ryder did not suffer a fractured skull or a collapsed lung in an altercation outside Aikmans bar in Merivale, Christchurch, on March 28.

Ryder's manager, Aaron Klee, declined to comment on those claims, saying he could not do so because the case was before the courts.

But The Dominion Post understands from other sources that Ryder's injuries, although serious, were not as critical as first reported.

Ryder was heavily concussed, and the damage to his lungs came after he was knocked out, when an involuntary reflex saw him inhale blood and vomit. His skull took a heavy blow but it was later determined there was no fracture.

Flem274*

123/5
So apparently you can almost kill someone and avoid jail.

Disgraceful. "Injury was unexpected and couldn't be predicted" erm moron when you punch someone and they go down on a hard surface...