• KP

18 25.00%
  • sanga

54 75.00%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Pietersen vs Sangakkara

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    Nah! He is averaging less than 40 in four countries, that is below par for a top batsman. He may be better than KP but it is very close than what many people are making it sound.
    Yep. Sanga's great and all but his limitations are being glossed over a bit here.

No one's really justified why they think Sanga is so much better than KP as to find the comparison pointless. Against the top sides KP has a record quite comparable to Sanga's and considering his attacking style an average of 49 is superb. There's no way Sanga is so far ahead that he can't be compared to Pietersen, imo
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 23-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Yep. Sanga's great and all but his limitations are being glossed over a bit here.

No one's really justified why they think Sanga is so much better than KP as to find the comparison pointless. Against the top sides KP has a record quite comparable to Sanga's and considering his attacking s
    Agreed, I'd say they've only been mentioned about a couple of dozen times in this thread alone.

I think it's a specious argument just to go on about performances against top bowlers.

There's a world in between Banglas, and Warne, McGrath.

In that world Sanga scores incredibly heavily and helps his side, a lot more than KP does, significantly more without gloves.

I feel the same about the way Gooch is praised for his great innings, and performances against great attacks.

Rather ignoring all those times he got out to average bowlers and England lost.
    Last edited by grecian; 23-03-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Agreed, I'd say they've only been mentioned about a couple of dozen times in this thread alone.

I think it's a specious argument just to go on about performances against top bowlers.

In that world Sanga scores incredibly heavily and helps his side, a lot more than KP does, significantly more without gloves.

I feel the same about the way Gooch is praised for his great innings, and performances against great attacks.

That's all well and good but Pietersen record is outstanding overall, far from Gooch like, in the sense that he did brilliantly against great bowlers, couldn't cash in that regularly against average ones.

In my post "top sides" meant everyone except Bang/Zimbabwe, so your argument is totally invalid anyway

Yesssssssssssss
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    That's all well and good but Pietersen record is outstanding overall, far from Gooch like, in the sense that he did brilliantly against great bowlers, couldn't cash in that regularly against average ones.

In my post "top sides" meant everyone except Bang/Zimbabwe, so your argument is totally invalid anyway
    Well not really, because if you take out banga/zimba, then sanga clearly does many runs better, so it's not close.

Ok, firstly if you are taking his average with no gloves for this comparison, that means you are saying he is significantly better than Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting et al. too. That is just a disingenuous argument.

As far as helping his team lot more than KP, it is not really true. Like I previously mentioned the biggest difference between them is their records against Pak. Against every other team its pretty close, in fact KP edges it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I do find it funny though. People say Sanga getting runs in SL is boosting on flat tracks, but then nothing of such is said for all of the batsman in the current New Zealand v England series. I'd also like to know why a side like England go to Sri Lanka and so regularly bat like headless chickens if the pitches are such roads too.
    Who? On this forum, may be OP went a little over board, no one else did. Also I don't think any one who actually follows game with enough interest would say that.

Well not really, because if you take out banga/zimba, then sanga clearly does many runs better, so it's not close.
    No he doesn't. Again biggest difference is in their records against Pak. Apart from that it is similar with KP shading it a better. I think sanga is better, but your hatred of KP(the person) , making you spout nonsense regarding his ability as a batsman. It is far closer than you think.

State 12th Man
    Would have to go with sanga overall .... The gap widened when KP was in a slump, but with these 3 brilliant tons - vs steyn/morkel , in SL and in India , that gap reduced considerably IMO, even more so as he has improved his record in the SC ....

But it isn't that big a difference as the difference in averages indicate or as some are making it out be ... nowhere close ..
    Last edited by abmk; 23-03-2013 at 11:27 PM.

KP plays match winning or saving knocks in big games against the odds regularly against the best attacks and/or in their home conditions, playing outrageously skilled attacking cricket. KP's knocks often turn around or decide a series, ever since his first series. Sangakkara is a good solid player who fills his boots when he can and makes the odd decent knock overseas. But he doesn't bend big games and series to his will in the same way, except maybe against Bangladesh...

Memories of that ball that he hit back at Steyn's head still makes me feel scared for Dale lol

Cricket Spectator
    Obviously it's Sangakkara!

He has the best Test Average of anyone who's scored over 10000 runs.

You could make a case that he's in the top 5 ever to play the game.

International Debutant
    I'd be sceptical that you could.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    lol

By the same arguments made here Barrington/Weekes are better than Richards and Border, batting is about more than just statistics. Surprised by the decisiveness of the poll, but as previously stated both great batsmen though, no doubt.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

State Vice-Captain
    You could make the case Anil Kumble is one of the top 5 bowlers to play the game. I mean, he's got the 3rd lowest average of anyone to take 600 wickets!!
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information