• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI threaten to cancel SA tour later this year, CRAZY

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Tactical beamers from Sharma would suit South Africa more. They may accidentally hit Srinivasan up in his box instead of the batsman.

A win-win for everyone. Indian fans rejoice at Sharma finally getting kicked out of the team, and the rest of the world at seeing Srinivasan get his just deserts.
Sharma can't bowl to a plan any more than he can use a toothbrush though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket would be so much financially worse off without India, but in actual cricketing terms, would anyone really miss them? They're rubbish away from home, and always have been; they stymie criticism of the game in their own country; they think spinners are worthwhile human beings and they have a whinge whenever things don't go their own way. All that aside from being the hot bed of graft and corruption from a match fixing POV.

The game would be better off without them.
Agreed and the only nation that can do something about that is yours Sir.. You guys need to stop with your obsession with footy and rugby and pour all the money into cricket and we won't need India and their money anymore

Which Indian express bowler is that?
Who else but Ishant Sharma who logs on to CW with the user name DAEMON.
Ponting is pretty much Ishant Sharma's personal bunny and also directly and solely responsible for Sharma having lasted this long and still going strong.
If he didn't dance and hop around in Perth in that test match in 2008, Faulkner would not be able to smash 30 runs in an over in 2013.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tactical beamers from Sharma would suit South Africa more. They may accidentally hit Srinivasan up in his box instead of the batsman.

A win-win for everyone. Indian fans rejoice at Sharma finally getting kicked out of the team, and the rest of the world at seeing Srinivasan get his just deserts.
That's double joy for Indian fans.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Cricket would be so much financially worse off without India, but in actual cricketing terms, would anyone really miss them? They're rubbish away from home, and always have been; they stymie criticism of the game in their own country; they think spinners are worthwhile human beings and they have a whinge whenever things don't go their own way. All that aside from being the hot bed of graft and corruption from a match fixing POV.

The game would be better off without them.

Sounds awfully like Australia eh Burgey sweetheart :-)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't say that. Check the last Ashes thread. The vast majority if Australian supporters on here were more than happy to acknowledge their side was outplayed. Same with the series in India.

Certainly there weren't any conspiracy theories floating about or the widespread (though justified) inferiority complex or the (unjustified) victim complex you get with Indian cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't follow the whole saga as closely as I would have liked, but I recall people saying that India were reducing this series to ensure Tendulkar retires with his 200th in Mumbai. In the end he's retired beforehand but its still a 2 test series. Was it ever about Tendulkar or was it mainly about BCCI just being dicks?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it had anything to do with Tendulkar, or the South African board announcing the fixtures before having them confirmed, or any of the other theories offered; I think it was just straight up about the Lorgat issue and the BCCI being dicks.

OverratedSanity

I don't think it had anything to do with Tendulkar, or the South African board announcing the fixtures before having them confirmed, or any of the other theories offered; I think it was just straight up about the Lorgat issue and the BCCI being dicks.
Maybe a bit of both imo... I'm a bit of a cynic I'm general and even for me India setting up a two test series in the interim period seemed too convenient. Seemed to me atleast that they took advantage of an already bad situation and thought this may be a way to give Sachin a good farewell too

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So originally there was no WI series? Like I said, haven't followed it closely. The whole time I thought Tendulkar was on 197 tests and they wanted to reduce SA series to 2 tests so his 200th would be against WI after the SA series #hadnoidea

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, BCCI were trying to bully around CSA from the start of this year on the Lorgat issue and this tour was the leverage they could use.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think its very naive to suggest this had NOTHING to do with Tendulkar being on 198 test matches, obviously cancelling SA wasn't influenced by that but the WI to play just two games and the last one is at his stadium? Come on.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think its very naive to suggest this had NOTHING to do with Tendulkar being on 198 test matches, obviously cancelling SA wasn't influenced by that but the WI to play just two games and the last one is at his stadium? Come on.
The 2 Test Matches with West Indies were organized due to Sachin's retirement. But if he hadn't retired then we would have probably seen ODI's with someone in this gap.

BCCI wasn't going to do anything more than mandatory 2 tests and 3 Odi's as Per FTA anyway in South Africa once they appointed Lorgat as it was a Ego issue. And this is something which has been brewing since the start of the year and then accelerated in July.

Also, If BCCI wanted to keep the whole SA tour and Tests which CSA announced unconfirmed, there was enough gap in Itinerary in which the Australia ODI's were announced to organize 2 Tests vs Windies anyway and more too.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It didn't have much to do with Tendulkar. They just used it to take advantage of the situation. Not only did Bcci have issues with Lorgat, the team sponsorship etc finished at the end of the year so they didn't want the series to continue into the next year with the players still displaying the old sponsorship logos and stuff. If it was all about Tendulkar, they would not have reduced the ODI series from 7 matches to just 3.

Basically they wanted the series to end this yr due to sponsorship issues.

Last edited:

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I was saying even before the WI tour of India was announced that India needed to set up a 2 or 3 test series before the SA tour. It's not clear Rohit and Shami would have even been in the plans for India. I despise how the BCCI handled/handles these matters, but the idea that this series had nothing meaningful for test cricket beyond Sachin's farewell is shortsighted. India would have been worse off going to South Africa without another test series under its belt after the Aus series.

That said, the BCCI have set awful precedents throughout this process that will bite them in the ass soon enough.

Last edited:

Daemon

Come to think of it Shami and Sharma wouldn't have been playing if that 'meaningless' ODI series against Australia hadn't taken place. Ishant probably wouldn't have been dropped too.

Pivotal point in Indian cricketing history imo, thank you Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Come to think of it Shami and Sharma wouldn't have been playing if that 'meaningless' ODI series against Australia hadn't taken place. Ishant probably wouldn't have been dropped too.

Pivotal point in Indian cricketing history imo, thank you Australia.
I tend to think Rohit probably would've played anyway, but Ishant definitely would've played ahead of Shami. Imagine how much this forum would've gone off if Ishant was selected ahead of Yadav in a Test...