• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your current World XI bowling attack

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would say Vern and Jimmy as Steyn is the better old ball bowler? Certainly Vern has to have it really as that's the only real time he's demonstrated his ability so far.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Steyn can probably adapt to first change better, as he did it reasonably well against England, so that's probably how I would go. Also if you've got two left handed openers, which is reasonably common, then you'd probably prefer Philander and Anderson bowled with the ball at its newest.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I would also give Anderson and Philanderer the new ball since Steyn is so good with the old ball, plus he gets angry when the ball gets older and increases his speed. :p

Angry Steyn is awsome to watch (but not when Pak is batting).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bowling Wars

ROW vs SA

Anderson vs Steyn
Pattinson vs Philander
Starc/Siddle/Harris vs Morkel
Ajmal vs Petersen
Watson vs Kallis

ROW wins in my eyes. Better spinner, better fifth bowler, better third pacer.

Okay, so can anyone tell me who exactly are the first choice quicks in the Australian test team at the moment. The contenders seem to be:

Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Bird, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Ryan Harris and Cummins (is he around anymore?).

Bird had a fantastic debut. Johnson made a good comeback. Pattinson was their best bowler before injury. Starc looks very exciting. Siddle is a monster we all know. Hilf may have to give way. Harris was pretty great too as far as I can remember.

Tough one.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Swann > Ajmal for me. Swann is successful all around the globe and has a good record in SA too.

Liquidity.Trap

Cricket Spectator
Bowling Wars

ROW vs SA

Anderson vs Steyn
Pattinson vs Philander
Ajmal vs Petersen
Watson vs Kallis

Okay, so can anyone tell me who exactly are the first choice quicks in the Australian test team at the moment. The contenders seem to be:

Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Bird, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Ryan Harris and Cummins (is he around anymore?).

Bird had a fantastic debut. Johnson made a good comeback. Pattinson was their best bowler before injury. Starc looks very exciting. Siddle is a monster we all know. Hilf may have to give way. Harris was pretty great too as far as I can remember.

Tough one.
True indeed. Bird and Cummins are the least experienced. Hilf and Johnson most. Pattinson should be in when fit, in my opinion. That's the only lock I have.

BeardofAmla

Cricket Spectator
Bowling Wars

ROW vs SA

Anderson vs Steyn
Pattinson vs Philander
Ajmal vs Petersen
Watson vs Kallis

Tough one.
Didn't we slam both those attacks on their own home turf? I remember 600/2 and going at 5 a over for 100 overs against Australia.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
It picks itself. I'm surprised some people are actually opting for Swann ahead of Ajmal.

Ajmal's past 20 Tests he's taken 115 wickets at 24.
Swann's past 20 Test he's taken 77 wickets at 32.

Ajmal has leapfrogged him massively.

Steyn
Philander
Anderson
Ajmal

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn
Philander
Anderson
Ajmal

On turning track

Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal
Herath

Herath deserves to be picked more than Swann on recent performances.