• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early era batsmen

uvelocity

International Coach
Early era batsmen were softies, I'm quite sure had Akhtar bowled to Bradman, his batting average would have reduced from 99.94 to 9.9!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
At what point in time was someone cherry picking stats here?

Kirkut was saying how ridiculous it is to think Akhtar would trouble Bradman.

Ease up boi.
Lol, Bradman is the ULTIMATE softie!!!:laugh:

He was SCARED of wet pitches, and only had the intestines to play on flat decks. Stan McCabe and Victor Trumper are DAYLIGHTS ahead of Bradman when it comes to playing challenging bowling attacks.
c00ked like a

the big bambino

International Captain
Lol, Bradman is the ULTIMATE softie!!!:laugh:

He was SCARED of wet pitches, and only had the intestines to play on flat decks. Stan McCabe and Victor Trumper are DAYLIGHTS ahead of Bradman when it comes to playing challenging bowling attacks.
Bradman played the same era as MCCabe and outscored him. He faced a more virulent form of leg theory than Trumper and doubled his average.

Whereas SRT is McGrath's bitch and averages about 10 against him. Your avatar is a myth.

archie mac

International Coach
Such extreme positions being taken here..
I thought it a pretty fair debate so far however with SRT it may go very pear shaped as we choose sides.

I personally think Sachin one of the all time greats and he would have been an all time great in whatever era he played.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you haven't read this article in the Age,
I would suggest having a look at it.

The article does give:

1) Australian batting averages through ages
2) How the leading Australian batsmen performed relative to the rest of the Team.

One interesting character was William Murdoch (Contempory of WG Grace), Murdoch's
batting average of 32 was 48.6% higher than the rest of the Team (Note: SRT's
averaged 49.1% above the other Indian's). I would guess WG Grace might of been
similar for England

archie mac

International Coach
If you haven't read this article in the Age,
I would suggest having a look at it.

The article does give:

1) Australian batting averages through ages
2) How the leading Australian batsmen performed relative to the rest of the Team.

One interesting character was William Murdoch (Contempory of WG Grace), Murdoch's
batting average of 32 was 48.6% higher than the rest of the Team (Note: SRT's
averaged 49.1% above the other Indian's). I would guess WG Grace might of been
similar for England
Why would SRT be that much higher? With Dravid having a similar average in Test cricket.

Grace was past his best by the time Test cricket started. Murdoch was a great player the best Aussie batsman until the golden age started. There is a book called the Top 100 and first XI circa 1987 where the authors choose an all time great Aust team by comparing the % of players made against their contemporaries.

I thought the process unfair against Bradman's peers, still was an interesting read:)

the big bambino

International Captain
Of course my opinion of SRT would be the same as anyone else on here. It just gets a bit tiresome swatting off tiresome revisionists as they try and parlay a man with a 50s ave as the best ever and then resort to belittling someone with almost twice the average. Got to expect to single one out and give a little blowback every now and then.

Kirkut

International Regular
Of course my opinion of SRT would be the same as anyone else on here. It just gets a bit tiresome swatting off tiresome revisionists as they try and parlay a man with a 50s ave as the best ever and then resort to belittling someone with almost twice the average. Got to expect to single one out and give a little blowback every now and then.
Face it, even Ponting is DAYLIGHTS ahead of Don Flopman.

the big bambino

International Captain
Whatever turns you on and if you don't have a life or anything else to do. But you likened yourself to Sehwag in your intro. So I guess you don't give a damn about yourself

archie mac

International Coach
I don't give a damn about Sehwag, never liked his casual commitment to the game.

But I'm enjoying the way I'm working you up, it's so easy!
You're mistaken, you're not winding anyone up but you are coming off as a fool with no knowledge about cricket

Kirkut

International Regular
Whatever turns you on and if you don't have a life or anything else to do. But you likened yourself to Sehwag in your intro. So I guess you don't give a damn about yourself
Man up, learn to come up with witty comebacks instead of weeping like a girl.

You're supposed to be hooking my short ball instead of taking the blow on your head.:cool:

the big bambino

International Captain
Hey Archie; you mentioned Laurie Nash earlier. Do you have any idea how his career went after his last test in '37? I've heard he played well in Melbourne grade cricket and deserved selection for the state team on form but never got picked. Can you confirm that and relay his grade stats in say 1938 and 1939?

archie mac

International Coach
Hey Archie; you mentioned Laurie Nash earlier. Do you have any idea how his career went after his last test in '37? I've heard he played well in Melbourne grade cricket and deserved selection for the state team on form but never got picked. Can you confirm that and relay his grade stats in say 1938 and 1939?
I am off to bed just now. But I have his bio and will do some research and post tomorrow:)

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I think one of the reason players of 20's or that era are considered great is because they ended up being pioneers in certain aspect of cricket or ended up doing things first or first professional or first greatest crowd puller in cricket...

Is the Doc not the first highly famous professional + first guy to score the mountain of runs?
Clem Hill..is he not the first to score 1000 runs in TC in a calendar year
Trumper..First player to completely master bad wickets + plus swashbuckling as well..

Last edited: