• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He bats at 3 to 5 theoretically because he just comes in at the 30 over mark or at 6.

Whatever happens first.
Yeah you know what I meant though. I don't think his role should be as a middle overs accumulator. He should either play to blaze away at the top (a role which has decreased relevance with two new balls) or as a finisher (which he's done well in this series). Ideally he'd come in at about the 35 over mark or slightly before that if he's not going to play as an aggressive opener, and that's exactly what been happening, so it's been well managed IMO.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
NcCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

Would that be our full strength ODI XI?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
NcCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

Yes I think so. Promising players to replace Elliott/Franklin/NcCullum when they're ready. And Mills when he gets too old.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would back Kyle Mills to hit a 6 any day of the week over Ellis.

Also, McCullum with 3 consecutive 50s for the 2nd time in his career.

vandem

International 12th Man
Why would an all-rounder batting at #9 hook in the air when there is a top order batsman at the other end, and 10 overs to go ? Dumb.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
NcCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

It's really quite harsh on Watling. He's failed in these three games, but for the 10 games immediately preceding this series he was averaging 59 and striking at 75. I think that probably buys a little more than one series.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's really quite harsh on Watling. He's failed in these three games, but for the 10 games immediately preceding this series he was averaging 59 and striking at 75. I think that probably buys a little more than one series.
Could chuck him in instead of Elliott I guess.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Why would an all-rounder batting at #9 hook in the air when there is a top order batsman at the other end, and 10 overs to go ? Dumb.
I was going to cry about calling Ellis an allrounder, but I guess you can't call him a bowler or a batsman either, so I guess it's justified.

+1

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
With Kyle 'The Masher' Mills in and Tim 'I only hit sixezzzz' Southee to come reckon we can get 10 an over

Final score sweepstake:

<170
170- 184
185- 199
200- 214 KN
215- 229 Bahnz
230- 244 NZTailender
245- 259 Cabinet
260- 274 Zinzan
275- 294: Athlai
295+

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're tempting fate there - next they'll want to pick him in the test side :p
It would actually make a lot more sense than having him play ODIs. Not that I'd be for it or anything, but he's actually been quite a good player for Canterbury in First Class cricket, especially over the last couple of seasons. He'd at least be getting the nod on performance to some extent. If he did something at Test level it'd be very surprising but at least consistent with his recent domestic returns.

Picking him in one day cricket is weird because he neither has the numbers on the board or the talent to the eye. He just has absolutely nothing going for his selection here. :laugh: