Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: BEST end to a TEST career

  1. #16
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,438
    Reckon Colly's test career ended on quite a high.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  2. #17
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Looking at Hussey today, 25 in the first innings, can he make it a perfect ending?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

    Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

    Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

  3. #18
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Clarrie Grimmett took 33 wickets in his last three Tests, 13 in the final one.

    Though they should never actually have been his last three Tests.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  4. #19
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Clarrie Grimmett took 33 wickets in his last three Tests, 13 in the final one.

    Though they should never actually have been his last three Tests.
    Don't know if you can do much better than that as a bowler, there haven't been any hat-tricks on retirement have there?


  5. #20
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Scott Muller.

    Stuart Law.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  6. #21
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    The legendary S F Barnes, in his last ever test series made a record that stands till today. The figures of his achievement are staggering to put it very mildly.

    Barnes played only the first four Tests of the series. England won three of them. Barnes figures, well known to most cricket buffs are still worth repeating

    • Tests : 4
    • Wkts : 49
    • Avg : 10.94
    • St Rt : 27.7
    • Eco. : 2.37
    • 5 fors : 7 . . . in just 4 Tests !!!
    • 10 fors : 2 . . . in just 4 Tests !!!


    If he had played the last Test, it is impossible to imagine the record would ever have been broken. As it is, with about 13 months left for the centenary of the end of this amazing bowler's career, the record still stands.

    There is a tendency to run down Barnes' figures by talking of the opposition and the conditions. While it is clear that of the three countries playing Test cricket by then, South Africa were the weakest. However, there is more to it.. . .

    South Africa were coming out of their minnow status in the new century. Having lost four straight series (eight straight Test matches) to England in the 12 years of the end of the 19th century, all at home, they had begun to get back at the 'mother country' in the first decade of the 20th.

    In 1905-06 they trounced England 4-1 at home.
    Granted a tour of England in 1907, as a reward, they performed very creditably, drawing the Tests at the Lord's and The Oval and lost by 53 runs at Headingley in a low scoring game. England had played their full strength side (barring Barnes who they continued to treat shabbily) with a side that reads the who's who of the English stars of the day.
    1. CB Fry
    2. Tom Hayward
    3. Johnny Tyldesley
    4. Reggie Foster
    5. Les Braund
    6. George Hirst
    7. Gilbert Jessop
    8. Crawford
    9. Arnold
    10. Dick Lilley
    11. Colin Blythe
    12. Knox

    The fact that they played just 12 players in the three Tests showed they took the Proteas seriously after their big series loss of the previous tour to SAfrica.

    In 1909-10 England toured South Africa again and again the lost the series, this time by three games to two. The English side had included Jack Hobbs, Frank Woolley, Wilfred Rhodes, Simpson-Hayward, Colin Blythe . . . and no Barnes !

    England had now won only one of the last three series and just 3 of the 13 Tests. This has to be remembered when we talk of the 1913-14 series.

    Another factor that needs to be remembered is how the other England bowlers' fared in that last series of Barnes. Here are the figures of Barnes against those of rest of England for the four Tests in which he played . . .

    Code:
    Player        	 O	 M	 R	 W	 5w	 10w	 Best	 Avg	 S/R	 E/R
    										
    S F Barnes	226	56	536	49	7	3	 9/103	10.9	27.7	2.4
    										
    Rest of England	371.1	83	953	30	1	0	 5/89	31.8	74.2	2.6
    The Rest of England included Rhodes, Woolley, Douglas, Hearne, Bird and Relf

    It is interesting to see that there isn't such a great difference between the economy rates of Barnes (2.4) and the Rest (2.6). They were good bowlers and were able to keep the South Africans on a tight enough leash. They just couldn't take wickets the way Barnes did. Hence the strike difference of 27.7 against 74.2.

    And remember the man was forty years old.

    Coming back to Barnes' farewell to Tests, who is to say when he should have retired. The guy just kept getting better with age inspite of England treating him like a pariah and selecting him very reluctantly to start with claiming Test matches were completely different from the leagues he was used to playing in and then when he astounded the world, not least the Aussies on who he was let loose, they used every pretext, mostly related to his personality and how difficult he was to handle, to keep him out of the side and yet this is what he did. In his last 10 Tests he took 88 Test wickets at 10.7 each.

    Of course, it has a lot to do with the fact that eight of these games were against South Africa who were completely clueless against him. Australians were obviously far better. Yet, seen in the context of the rest of England's bowlers who is to say whether he needs to have retired, or rather never played again for, he never announced his retirement.

    Another interesting aspect of Barnes' bowling has to do with how he fared at the beginning of a Test as against in the latter parts. There is a general perception that with uncovered pitches the latter part of the matches used to be a delight for bowlers. Well . . . not true for Barnes. His figures for the four innings make very interesting reading. Have a look.

    Code:
    Inn #	 O	 M	 R	 W	 5w	 Best	 Avg	 S/R
    
    First	417.2	122	946	77	11	 8/56	12.3	32.5
    Second	179.1	49	398	23	3	 6/52	17.3	46.7
    Third	583.2	152	1410	74	9	 9/103	19.1	47.3
    Fourth	132.2	33	352	15	1	 5/102	23.5	52.9
    
    Overall	1312.1	356	3106	189	24	 9/103	16.4	41.7
    It is interesting to see that the performances in the first and third innings are far better. He also bowls much more overs (in both innings) when England field first. This is very strange. Anyone with a theory on this ?? :o)

  7. #22
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,330
    Its too bad he only played those 27 tests. Wasn't chosen multiple times when he should've been, probably would've even been good enough after the war. 14/144 in his final test, wow.
    Last edited by Coronis; 04-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.

  8. #23
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,364
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Clarrie Grimmett took 33 wickets in his last three Tests, 13 in the final one.

    Though they should never actually have been his last three Tests.
    Indeed.

    Bradman should never be forgiven for denying us the peak of arguably the most talented spinner of them all. Be like Ponting telling Warne to **** off from the Australian side in 2002-03.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  9. #24
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Its too bad he only played those 27 tests. Wasn't chosen multiple times when he should've been, probably would've even been good enough after the war. 14/144 in his final test, wow.
    He appears to have been extremely unpopular, particularly with the amateurs who were captains and the general expectation that the professionals were to behave like the menial servants they were treated like. Barnes was very proud of his craft and must have appeared as extremely arrogant to the establishment unused to such attitude by those who were generally expected to submit themselves to the 'lording' over them by amateurs not fit to carry their boots if one looked at sheer competence as cricketers.

    There is the famous instance of when Barnes was bowling in a charity match to the famous West Indian Sir Learie Constantine, known for his belligerent batting. Barnes, now in his fifties, excercised a vice like grip over Constantine which irked his captain Cec Parkin who wanted the crowd to be entertained by some luscious hitting by the famous West Indian. "Chuck 'em up to him, Sid" he said. "Let the crowd see him crack one or two."

    Barnes threw the ball down, collected his sweater and refused to finish the over or bowl again in the match. As he put on his sweater, he turned to his skipper and said, "I have a reputation as well as Constantine."

    He was right of course and in the modern time, we would have celebrated his guts to stand up to authority but in that time and age they despised him for nothing but demanding the self respect he knew he deserved.

    When he was on the ship going to Australia, handpicked by Lancashire skipper MacLaren who was leading the English side, the vessel ran into terrible weather within just a few days of the voyage. The players, most of whom had seen nothing further than the grounds they played on, were scared stiff and worried that they would all go down to the bottom of the ocean. MacLaren famously said, "If we do go down, at least that bugger Barnes will go down with us,"

    Constantine played him in the tour game of the West Indians against Staffordshire in 1928, Barnes was well into his fifties and it was 14 years after his last Test series we are talking about. Constantine writes . . .

    Barnes was bowling. He was over fifty then, but I thought him the greatest bowler I met during that English visit (remember he played Harold Larwood among others on that tour) He had every sort in the bag and could take a wicket with any of them.


    He next metions Barnes in the context of the season of 1937 . . .

    What was my greatest game for Nelson? Its not easy to say, but I think I liked best a personal duel I had with Barnes, one of the finest players of all time.

    As far back as 1895, eight years before I was even born, Barnes was playing for Rishton as a professional. He went from league cricket to playing for England in Australia and did magnificently. When I first saw Barnes , during my initial tour of England, I learned by watching him just how to set a field, measure a run and trick a steady batsman. He had broken innumerable cricket records and will always be remembered as one of the great personalities of the game.

    In 1930, he was playing for Rawtenstall. We won the toss but Barnes began to go through our wickets as he well knew how. I was told to save the situation and went out to the wicket to find him absolutely at his best. The wicket had just enough moisture to take the spin well, and could he spin them !

    We were 68 for 3 when I went in and Barnes skittled them out till we had 118 for 9, my score being 45 not out. I had to knock them about and be quick about it !

    I shall never forget the length, spin and guile Barnes produced to stop me from getting the bowling, to get either me or the partner out. I went for Barnes and hit him; and he went for me., attack versus attack, like rapiers crossing, then I was caught and bowled by the master off about the best ball of the innings. For that was typical of Barnes - the more you hit him the better he bowled !
    Last edited by SJS; 05-01-2013 at 01:06 AM.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Its too bad he only played those 27 tests. Wasn't chosen multiple times when he should've been, probably would've even been good enough after the war. 14/144 in his final test, wow.
    He was asked to go to Australia in 20/21 but the MCC wouldn't let him take Mrs Barnes so he declined

  11. #26
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    For batsmen there are many tempting examples.

    1. Andrew Sandham

    In ten Tests between 1921 and 1925, Sandham had managed just one fifty and a Test average of 19.1. He would have never expected to play another Test for England when he got a call for the 1930 maiden tour of West Indies. Sandham was in his 40th year.

    This, however, did not make him the oldest player in a team from the graveyard . . . well quite a few of them were closer to that age than to being debutants.

    George Gunn was in his 51st year and had last played in a Test match in 1912 - 18 years ago ! He was surely more surprised than Andrew.

    Patsy Hendren was a youngster, I guess, at 42

    The oldest was left arm spinner and all rounder Wilfred Rhodes in his 53rd year still playing for England 31 years after his debut in 1899 !!

    Nigel Haig was ten years younger than Rhodes at 42 but was going to open the bowling attack !!

    Bill Astill, the off spinner, was 42.

    Fred Calthrope was a young debutant at 38 !!

    Jack O'Connor was an absolute infant playing just his second game at 33.

    NO, Andy Sandham shouldn't have been surprised. What he did, after the ten Tests for a solitary century was surprising, nevertheless.

    • In the first Test at the Kensington Oval Sandham scored 152 and 51. Nearly doubling the runs he had made in his entire ten Test career till then.
    • In the 4th Test at Sabina Park he scored 325 and 50. Making a total of 528 in just these two games - he had managed just 287 in his first ten !
    • The fact that he did not reach double figures in any of the four innings of the second and third Test makes no difference to the fact that he aggregated 592 runs in the series at 74.0 which, by the way, was Andy's last.
    • Sachin in his 72 Test series has managed a best of 493. :o)
    • Of course there is the minor matter of the triple century he scored in the first innings of his last Test. This, at that time, was the highest EVER Test innings !
    • Sachin, after 194 Tests and 320 innings is yet to score a 250 !


    BTW, the comparison with SRT is not to run the great man down but just to put Sandham's performance in that amazing series, 72 years ago, in perspective and give them a bit of statistical context.

    How can you do better than scoring over 500 runs in your last series and also make the highest ever Test score in your last game.

    By the way, the 375 runs, Sandham scored in that last Test was also the highest match aggregate of all time and remained a record for 44 years till Greg Chappell broke it by 5 runs in 1974 !!

    We need to look long and hard to find a better end to a test career but we will be back :o))
    Last edited by SJS; 05-01-2013 at 01:58 AM.

  12. #27
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Indeed.

    Bradman should never be forgiven for denying us the peak of arguably the most talented spinner of them all. Be like Ponting telling Warne to **** off from the Australian side in 2002-03.
    Grimmett was a bit like Barnes in one respect. He was very conscious of his own self respect and refused to kow-tow to those in authority. Like Barnes, this never meant that he was rude or a difficult person but he just wanted to be respected as an equal by everyone even if they happened to have the initials DGB. Bradman was a bit of a boss and wanted everyone to be aware of that. It is ironic that the player Bradman used to run down Grimmett (in a way), the great Bill O'Reilly, also happened to have a similar attitude towards authority so that while Grimmett's feelings towards Bradman are not publicly known, O'Reilly's are and he is one of Bradman's fiercest critics, not least for the way the Don treated Grimmett.

  13. #28
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Grimmett was a bit like Barnes in one respect. He was very conscious of his own self respect and refused to kow-tow to those in authority. Like Barnes, this never meant that he was rude or a difficult person but he just wanted to be respected as an equal by everyone even if they happened to have the initials DGB. Bradman was a bit of a boss and wanted everyone to be aware of that. It is ironic that the player Bradman used to run down Grimmett (in a way), the great Bill O'Reilly, also happened to have a similar attitude towards authority so that while Grimmett's feelings towards Bradman are not publicly known, O'Reilly's are and he is one of Bradman's fiercest critics, not least for the way the Don treated Grimmett.
    O'Reilly considered Grimmett the best bowler he'd seen IIRC. Interesting how despite that, and the opinions of many others, and when Clarrie was in the form of his life, he was dropped from the side.

  14. #29
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    For batsmen there are many tempting examples.

    1. Andrew Sandham

    In ten Tests between 1921 and 1925, Sandham had managed just one fifty and a Test average of 19.1. He would have never expected to play another Test for England when he got a call for the 1930 maiden tour of West Indies. Sandham was in his 40th year.

    This, however, did not make him the oldest player in a team from the graveyard . . . well quite a few of them were closer to that age than to being debutants.

    George Gunn was in his 51st year and had last played in a Test match in 1912 - 18 years ago ! He was surely more surprised than Andrew.

    Patsy Hendren was a youngster, I guess, at 42

    The oldest was left arm spinner and all rounder Wilfred Rhodes in his 53rd year still playing for England 31 years after his debut in 1899 !!

    Nigel Haig was ten years younger than Rhodes at 42 but was going to open the bowling attack !!

    Bill Astill, the off spinner, was 42.

    Fred Calthrope was a young debutant at 38 !!

    Jack O'Connor was an absolute infant playing just his second game at 33.

    NO, Andy Sandham shouldn't have been surprised. What he did, after the ten Tests for a solitary century was surprising, nevertheless.

    • In the first Test at the Kensington Oval Sandham scored 152 and 51. Nearly doubling the runs he had made in his entire ten Test career till then.
    • In the 4th Test at Sabina Park he scored 325 and 50. Making a total of 528 in just these two games - he had managed just 287 in his first ten !
    • The fact that he did not reach double figures in any of the four innings of the second and third Test makes no difference to the fact that he aggregated 592 runs in the series at 74.0 which, by the way, was Andy's last.
    • Sachin in his 72 Test series has managed a best of 493. :o)
    • Of course there is the minor matter of the triple century he scored in the first innings of his last Test. This, at that time, was the highest EVER Test innings !
    • Sachin, after 194 Tests and 320 innings is yet to score a 250 !


    BTW, the comparison with SRT is not to run the great man down but just to put Sandham's performance in that amazing series, 72 years ago, in perspective and give them a bit of statistical context.

    How can you do better than scoring over 500 runs in your last series and also make the highest ever Test score in your last game.

    By the way, the 375 runs, Sandham scored in that last Test was also the highest match aggregate of all time and remained a record for 44 years till Greg Chappell broke it by 5 runs in 1974 !!

    We need to look long and hard to find a better end to a test career but we will be back :o))
    A bit of an unintensional end to his career, he would be annoyed rather than happy!! Not how he wanted to end his career!

  15. #30
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Greg Chappell needing 68 runs to go past Bradman in his final innings, got there with ease making 180 odd which gave him a ton in his first test, first test as captain and last test. Also set the then record for catches taken in tests by grabbing a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Andy Sandham
    Ponsford and Woodfull last Test 1934. The former for batting and the latter for winning back the Ashes. Atlhugh I can't remember if he won it on his birthday or was that 1930?
    You know it makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Test Cricket Draft
    By LFD in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 17-12-2012, 05:30 PM
  2. The CW50 - No.20-11
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 13-12-2009, 01:49 AM
  3. Mouth-watering analysis this
    By Zinzan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •