• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's fast bowling problem

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about we get ahead of ourselves?

Remember the Hughes comparisons to Bradman after his debut series. Deary me.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Early days but he does look good. Hughes looked like crap when he was scoring those hundreds. Bird has a nice, relaxed action that shouldn't strain him too much, looks like a fast bowler in terms of physique...just has a very good vibe to him. Hope he stays on the park regularly.

Healy is a **** commentator but "there's a probing Bird out there" is a brilliant line.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
Harris might not come back but he is a class act who should be first picked .

Not going to take too many bags but builds up the pressure for the other end to take wickets.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So everyone is pretty much agreed on Bird.

We are so spoiled for choice (when all our bowlers are fit). Given that we have dropped a man of the match winner and had an attack that blew away a strong batting side twice while we have a good 5 bowlers out with injury, I really can't believe how lucky we are at the moment. Only England has the same kind of depth (and I honestly don't think their attack is as good as ours).

I really think that Starc will be in the long term plans. Harsh on Siddle, but I'm leaning towards

Bird
Starc
Pattinson

as our strongest attack at the moment. Perhaps we could play MJ in the first game of the series to break a few fingers and force some key players out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How are people saying Bird is already in Australia's best attack? Or even close?

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can replace what I said about Starc too tbf, but your point would be interestingly received by Benchy I am sure.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel I've picked the perfect time of the day to lay the bait down for benchy throughout Cricket Chat before he returns from the sauna to post Adam Cooney doing the worm in HK.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh:

I'm on Singapore time, i.e. Perth time, so I'm seeing your bait released in real-time. Its been quite an experience.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Once I post about how much better Wade is than Haddin and how Watson is a lesbian we'll probably be able to hear his head explode in about three hours.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Are you ****s insane? So many people leaving out Siddle. He's your best bowler ffs.
It baffles me, and I'm not even a Siddle man (too bogan). The guy is becoming a huge asset, can't believe he's being left out.

#comeonmate

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Siddle's about as good as he's ever going to get, IMHO. Very solid, dependable, meat n potatoes kind of seamer who can occasionally rip it up, but some of the younger chaps & even a fit Rhino do have higher ceilings.

He'd be in my team as of now, but if the selectors ever had a full hand of quicks to choose from (say) a year down the line I'm not so sure.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't disgrace himself in England last time out, and he's a better bowler now, fear him more than any of the other bowlers they'll send out tbh, and I do rate Pattinson and Starc highly. Just reckon Siddle's better atm. Anyone who would leave him out of Australia's best XI at this point in time is kidding themselves however they compare him to the youngsters.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a proper test bowler, I do. Has the equipment to do very well in quote-unquote "English" conditions (took a bagful at Headingley last time, if memory serves), but I'd be more concerned about what a fit and firing Pattinson, Starc, Cummins or Harris could do, as chimeric as those creatures seemingly are.

greg

International Debutant
Until Johnson came along, I always used to get nervous about left arm quicks bowling to England. Not quite sure if there was any validity behind that nervousness. I suppose it's a bit different now that we have the compensation of a bowler to exploit the rough created.

More on topic - I think that very soon the Aussie selectors are going to have to identify and nail down what their first choice bowling attack is. I just don't see how they can continue to "manage" as many as seven or eight bowlers without causing serious resentment. You can manage/rotate players who know that they will have a pretty automatic place in the team to return to. Fringe players are unlikely to take being rested with the same equanimity. Selection for Sydney is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a proper test bowler, I do. Has the equipment to do very well in quote-unquote "English" conditions (took a bagful at Headingley last time, if memory serves), but I'd be more concerned about what a fit and firing Pattinson, Starc, Cummins or Harris could do, as chimeric as those creatures seemingly are.
Not Cummins, I do not rate him.