• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan ATG Team - Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
England had the best quality for 1st and 2nd slip, but lacks a top class option for third slip.
To me 1 - 7, W.I has the better line up, especially considering Miller and to a lesser extent Border.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
England had the best quality for 1st and 2nd slip, but lacks a top class option for third slip.
To me 1 - 7, W.I has the better line up, especially considering Miller and to a lesser extent Border.
England also has the best 'keeper.

As for the batting, what is "lost" for Australia by Miller and - if anything at all - Border is more than made up for Bradman IMO. And Gilly, for that matter.

The bowling attacks are difficult to compare given the varying compositions across each country, and will depend quite substantially on the pitch conditions.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Got a lot of votes which surprised me. Don't if I wasn't paying attention when he did lot of things right that helped his reputation. Genuine question.
I think Zaheer average record against Windies really holds him back though we don't know whether it was just plain bad luck because according to Holding he was the toughest batsman on the county circuit so he must be doing all right against him there.Mo Yo along with Mahela & Sehwag is considered an ultimate sub cont bully so that went against him. Younis is interesting he has been among the top 3 highest averaging batsman since 2004 which is big achievement given the quality of batsman in this era however I don't think he has been tested enough outside his comfort zones by genuine world class attacks him missing out on the Aus tour in 09 and Eng 10 due to issues with the board makes it difficult to make a proper assessment of his class thats why I think the tour to SA next month is very important for Ajmal and Younis in regards to their standings in world cricket.

In regards to this side I would not mind the selection of any of the three its a real toss up.

Bouncer

State Regular
So far the score is;

Saeed Anwar = 4
Hanif Mohammad = 7
Mudussar Nazar = 1
Majid Khan = 2

I'm in the middle of packing the people-mover to take the kids down the south coast for Christmas. So I'm going to be busy, plus I'm not sure of my internet access.

Therefore, I'm going to make a logical conclusion and PREDICT that based on those results Saeed Anwar and Hanif Mohammad will be our openers (but still hope that Majid gets the nod);

01. Saeed Anwar
02. Hanif Mohammad
03. Younis Khan
04. Javed Miandad
05. Inzamam-ul-Haq
06. Mushtaq Muhammad
07. Imran Khan
08. Rashid Latif
09. Wasim Akram
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Waqar Younis

All in all I think it's a very fine team and liable to cause significant damage to any other ATG side that gets in it's way. As with all Pakistan sides the resolve of the batsman, or lack of it I should say, will ultimately determine whether it beats the likes of Bradman's Aussie XI in a hypothetical series.

But whatever the outcome, any game involving Imran Khan at the helm is bound to be a corker.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY NEW YEAR, and THANKS to you all :)
I am little late to the discussion but I would suggest removing Fazal and play Saqlain to give more variety to the bowling.

I understand Mushtaq M probably made it to the 11 so that he can provide wrist spinning option to the 11 but I dont think the 11 needed another all rounder in presence of Imran, Wasim, Rashid and a full time off spinner would have made the 11 even more potent.

To replace Mushtaq we could have Pak's best option for # 6, Asif Iqbal who had done great at that number, was expert at playing with the tail - great team man & was one amazing fielder as well.

on a second thought I would pay to watch running between the wicket when Asif and Inzi were batting together, Poor Inzi would have been between rock and hard spot batting in between JM and AI...:)

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
England also has the best 'keeper.

As for the batting, what is "lost" for Australia by Miller and - if anything at all - Border is more than made up for Bradman IMO. And Gilly, for that matter.

The bowling attacks are difficult to compare given the varying compositions across each country, and will depend quite substantially on the pitch conditions.
Never disputed Knott is the best keeper selected, all I said was that there is no quality 3rd slip option, so it can't be the best.

Slifer

International Captain
All truely great team

Best batting lineups: W.I, Aus, Eng
Best bowling attack: Aus, W.I, Pak
Best cordon: Aus, W.I, S.A
Batting : Aus, WI , ENG
Bowling: Aus/WI, Pak
Fielding: RSA/AUS/WI, ENG, Pak

Sorry Kyear but with Bradman and to a lesser extent Gilchrist all the other teams r really fighting for second best batting wise. Bowlig IMO is a tossup between WI, Oz and Pak (and RSA for that matter). Ditto a fielding

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn Mcgrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Cricketweb West Indies All Time XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley *
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Frank Worrell
Lance Gibbs

Cricketweb England All Time XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton *
Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Sir Ian Botham
Allan Knott +
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Syd Barnes

Hedley Verity
Kevin Pietersen

Cricketweb South Africa All Time XI
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite +
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

Cricketweb Pakistan All Time XI
Hanif Mohammad
Saeed Anwar
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan *
Rashid Latif +
Wasim Akram
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Mohammad Yousuf
Saqlain Mushtaq

I think that really, you can't split the Australian, English, WIs and South African teams. It's very difficult to do so.

Australia has the obvious advantage of Bradman. Two attacking openers (a L/R combo). The artistry of Chappell, the determination and skill of Border (LH), Miller and Gilchrist (LH) as attacking weapons with the bat. Brilliant bowling combo, with Lillee, McGrath and Miller to bowl pace and O'Reilly and Warne. In the field they have Chappell, Miller and Border who were all excellent in the cordon (as well as Warne who was decent), and Bradman was a very good cover fields-man.

What sets them apart from the rest?
- Bradman
- High quality spin bowling unit. O'Reilly and Warne would cause serious problems bowling in tandem on day 4 and 5.

England has two very strong opening batsmen (the fact that Sutcliffe missed out attests to this). Hammond, Barrington and Compton in the middle order provide a lot of variety, and skill. Lacking a left handed player in the top 7, which is a shame. Botham capable of shredding a bowling attack with the bat, and Knott is very handy with the willow also. Bowling attack is led by Trueman and Larwood, with Barnes and Laker as spin partners. Botham is the all rounder here, with a knack of picking up vital wickets. Criticism has been levelled at having Botham at 6, with most thinking he is one spot too high for an ATG team. I think it works best for this team to have him there with Knott very capable at 7. In the field Hammond and Botham are both excellent slippers, and Hobbs was a very good cover field. Knott an exceptional keeper.

- Best opening batsmen of all the teams
- Botham is a real x-factor. In a series, he might win two matches almost single-handedly.
- SF Barnes and Laker could be a real handful on the right wicket.

West Indies is a strong team, as you'd expect. Greenidge and Hunte aggressive at the top, and then the middle order is as good as any, and maybe better than the rest as a whole. Headley, Richards, Lara and Sobers, along with Walcott, are a nightmare for the opposition bowlers. Combination of left and right handed aggressive technicians, highly skilled and intimidating. The bowling attack is what is expected- tall, fast and accurate. Four quicks was their modus operandi during the 80s, and it brought them much success. However, with Sobers in the team as a left arm quick, I think there's room for Gibbs as a spinner. As a fielding unit they are excellent, with Viv, Lara, Sobers and Greenidge all good in the cordon, and elsewhere.

- The middle order. Dynamic, powerful and intimidating.
- Four quicks, plus Sobers. On a green wicket, they would be a handful.

South Africa. What is it with South Africa and all-rounders? They seem to produce them at will. Procter, Faulkner and Kallis all front up here. As a batting unit, these guys are special. Richards is spoken of almost reverentially as a batsman by guys like Bradman and Ian Chappell. Smith is ugly, but effective. Kallis is all class, and the guy following him at 4 is even better, a true genius. Nourse was a brilliant batsman capable of holding it all together, while Faulkner, Procter and Waite form a potent middle-lower order. As a bowling unit this team is impressive. Donald and Steyn are similar in many ways, both quick, skilled and nasty. Procter is spoken of very highly as a quick bowler, and Kallis provides excellent support. Tayfield and Faulkner provide a nice spin combo, contrasting each other. Most SAs tend to be good fieldsmen, good in the slips and in the outfield. Richards, Pollock, Kallis and Smith all excellent slippers.

- Three high quality all rounders. They would all walk in to most test teams in history on the basis of either their batting OR their bowling.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn Mcgrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Ponting at No.10? :laugh:

Assuming its post-2007 Ponting, i agree
:ph34r:

Satyanash89

Banned
He's at 12.....

Him and Davidson are the squad.
oops... fail :(

Shame Davison didnt make.it... a left armer wouldve been awesome... cudve picked him instead of o reilly

Its strange that Oz have two spinners in there when pakistan dont even have one...
WI the best lineup to watch by far though... Greenidge Headley Lara Viv Sobers
Holy mother :o

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
oops... fail :(

Shame Davison didnt make.it... a left armer wouldve been awesome... cudve picked him instead of o reilly

Its strange that Oz have two spinners in there when pakistan dont even have one...
WI the best lineup to watch by far though... Greenidge Headley Lara Viv Sobers
Holy mother :o
True. I think the inclusion of Miller allows Australia to play both O'Reilly and Warne. Miller is one of the very few cricketers who were proper opening bowlers capable of batting in the top order. I think that if Australia were to include Davo, it'd be at the expense of McGrath.

Agree that the WIs batting line up would be brilliant to watch.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia and the West Indies really a class above the other three teams. Bradman, Chappell, Gilchrist, Warne, Mcgrath, O'Reilly and Lillee are all top echelon while Miller provides the versatility to play two spinners.
For the West Indies the middle order and fast bowling are unmatched and they are well suppoted by Greenidge and Hunte. The fielding, especially in the cordon is brilliant and Viv and Sobers were World class everywhere. Having four top 10 batsmen ever in your middle order, not counting Walcott and Greenidge, who are not too far behind and two of the top 5 and four of the top 15 fast bowlers to have played the game including the best in Marshall is hard to beat. And we still haven't mentioned that the second best player of All Time resides in the middle order as well.

The other teams don't have the quality of these two teams.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A few people have talked about England playing two spinners but I've never considered Barnes to be a spinner. Of course he could spin the ball - by his own admission - and by all accounts his exceptionally large hands and long fingers allowed him to give the ball a tremendous rip. However he also swung the ball prodigiously and generally bowled fast-medium (there are accounts of him bowling "very fast" at times) and whenever I've seen him discussed or selected in all-time teams it's not been as a spinner but as a part of he seam attack.

Then again, we've had discussions in these parts before about exactly what kind of bowler Barney was, and perhaps the ability to bowl both styles brilliantly is part of his unique greatness.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few people have talked about England playing two spinners but I've never considered Barnes to be a spinner. Of course he could spin the ball - by his own admission - and by all accounts his exceptionally large hands and long fingers allowed him to give the ball a tremendous rip. However he also swung the ball prodigiously and generally bowled fast-medium (there are accounts of him bowling "very fast" at times) and whenever I've seen him discussed or selected in all-time teams it's not been as a spinner but as a part of he seam attack.

Then again, we've had discussions in these parts before about exactly what kind of bowler Barney was, and perhaps the ability to bowl both styles brilliantly is part of his unique greatness.
He certainly wasn't a spinner in the conventional sense - did you read the piece I wrote about him (relatively) recently?