• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who can stop South Africa?

BeardofAmla

Cricket Spectator
Australia would've been 2-nil up going into Perth were it not for the weather in Brisbane and Pattinson's injury in Adelaide

Michael Clarke scored 2 double hundreds in that series, the Australian team broke the world record for the most runs in a test day and Mitchell Starc scored the 2nd fastest 50 (and 14th overall) by an Oz batsman in test history - does that sound to you like they were facing a "great" attack

Sorry but SA are simply the best attack in a very. very ordinary period for test cricket

BTW, dont talk to Australians about injuries - we were down to one fit bowler in Adelaide (alongside 2 that were half fit and another who was crocked after 9 overs) and havent been able to pick from a full complement for years
Off all the sad words put to tongue or pen the saddest are these "It might have been or It could have been"
You couldn't take 20 wickets not even 19 to win you lost. We did we won. Get over it.

Last edited:

Mr_Ronan

Banned
SA are a fantastic side but are far from unstoppable.

They've played Australia in 5 Tests home and away in the past 18 months and came out of that with 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws. And In both of those drawn games, Australia had complete ascendency.

So any reasonable observer would say that over those 5 Tests it was a very even contest.

It should also be kept in mind that they played a very inexperienced Australia team which is definitely on the rise...as evidenced by the fact that in the past 2 years they have won 12 Tests and lost just 3...with 2 of those losses coming against the no. 1 ranked Test side and the other an absolute nailbiter loss to NZ.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
SA are a fantastic side but are far from unstoppable.

They've played Australia in 5 Tests home and away in the past 18 months and came out of that with 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws. And In both of those drawn games, Australia had complete ascendency.

So any reasonable observer would say that over those 5 Tests it was a very even contest.

It should also be kept in mind that they played a very inexperienced Australia team which is definitely on the rise...as evidenced by the fact that in the past 2 years they have won 12 Tests and lost just 3...with 2 of those losses coming against the no. 1 ranked Test side and the other an absolute nailbiter loss to NZ.
The loss of Hussey and Ponting has left a huge gap in Australia's side. They have some exciting bowling prospects, but heavily injury prone. For some reason the side has been in perpetual transition mode since 2007 in my opinion. Do they have a settled batting and bowling lineup? Can you say with confidence what their team will look like next year? If not they may produce a good performance here and there, but a consistent run is unlikely.

SA definitely underperformed in the Down Under last year, but still ended up on the winning side. In the end, thats what matters.

subshakerz

International Coach
What I like about the SA side is that you feel that they actually have some true class throughout their lineup, rather than one odd world class player and several others who happen to be in good form at the same time, which is what I felt about the England sides of 2005 and 2011.

Kallis and Steyn are all-time greats, Smith will surely end up in his country's greatest ever lineup, and Amla, Philander, Devillers and possibly DePlussis are greats in the making. Compare this to the second best team, England, who hardly have a single great in their side (Pietersen doesnt count for me). In the end, its the number of high quality players you have that determines the quality of your team.

When they play, you get the impression that the standard of cricket is quite high, and they rarely collectively fail in both batting and bowling. The sore spot of course is spin, as it has always been.

People are making unfair comparison between this side and the great WI and Australian teams of the past, but it misses the point. The point is simply to be better than your opponents, and its not their fault that their opponents are in pretty poor quality overall. They already have achieved an impressive overseas record and removed any doubts about who is the real no.1. What else should be expected from Mr. Smith? I guess to be more dominant at home, and it seems that he's off to a good start.

I would rather they continue to dominate until the other teams push their standards up.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Pattinson hardly beat up SA. He averaged near 40 in the last series which isn't bad considering the nature of the pitches and strength of the opposition though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The loss of Hussey and Ponting has left a huge gap in Australia's side. They have some exciting bowling prospects, but heavily injury prone. For some reason the side has been in perpetual transition mode since 2007 in my opinion. Do they have a settled batting and bowling lineup? Can you say with confidence what their team will look like next year? If not they may produce a good performance here and there, but a consistent run is unlikely.

SA definitely underperformed in the Down Under last year, but still ended up on the winning side. In the end, thats what matters.
In what way did SA underperform in Oz?

For SA, Kallis Amla and Smith all scored centuries in the first 2 test - as expected

De Villiers had been out of form for a while so his performances in the first 2 tests were really to be expected

Steyn was average in England for all bar a couple of spells and he did the same here

Vern looked average on the only other occasions that I have seen him bowl in good batting conditions, so seeing him struggle in Brisbane was hardly a surprise

For Oz, Clarke was the no.1 batsman in the world at the time so runs from him were expected.

Hussey recently retired with a test average of over 50 so runs from him were expected

Warner has the talent to destroy any attack so Adelaide was no shock

The Australian attack is improving and playing at home

If anything, the performances that really hurt Australia (Faf in Adelaide and Peterson in Perth) were the biggest shocks of the entire series

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
****, I was all ready to disagree with Social when I read his first line, but after reading your justification, I can't. That is a good summary of the series and the "expectations" beforehand. I'd argue Cowan's knock at Brisbane was something no one expected (he took the game away from SA) but otherwise, good post.

subshakerz

International Coach
In what way did SA underperform in Oz?

For SA, Kallis Amla and Smith all scored centuries in the first 2 test - as expected

De Villiers had been out of form for a while so his performances in the first 2 tests were really to be expected

Steyn was average in England for all bar a couple of spells and he did the same here

Vern looked average on the only other occasions that I have seen him bowl in good batting conditions, so seeing him struggle in Brisbane was hardly a surprise

For Oz, Clarke was the no.1 batsman in the world at the time so runs from him were expected.

Hussey recently retired with a test average of over 50 so runs from him were expected

Warner has the talent to destroy any attack so Adelaide was no shock

The Australian attack is improving and playing at home

If anything, the performances that really hurt Australia (Faf in Adelaide and Peterson in Perth) were the biggest shocks of the entire series
Actually, your reasoning is pretty good, I cant disagree much except with Steyn, who had a terrific spell in the pre-series game but somehow didnt turn up until the last test. In England, I think he wasnt as effective as he didnt have his favorite new ball position, but wasnt as poor as as he was in Australia.

This still doesnt change my point, though, the Australian side is in flux, it has lost two batting giants and the bowlers continue to break down. I dont see them threatening to be no. 1 any time soon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think wait and see how Australia go in India. Don't get me wrong, India aren't the benchmark by any stretch, but it will be fairly massive if they can win there with their squad post-PuntHuss

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, your reasoning is pretty good, I cant disagree much except with Steyn, who had a terrific spell in the pre-series game but somehow didnt turn up until the last test. In England, I think he wasnt as effective as he didnt have his favorite new ball position, but wasnt as poor as as he was in Australia.

This still doesnt change my point, though, the Australian side is in flux, it has lost two batting giants and the bowlers continue to break down. I dont see them threatening to be no. 1 any time soon.
Unless something radically changes with the Oz batting lineup (i.e. consistency), I cant see them challenging either

However, IF (and it is a massive if) the young bowlers reach their potential, they will be capable of beating anyone on any given day with or without consistent performances from the batting lineup

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Somehow i have a feeling that with De Velliers keeping its a ploy to have an allrounder in the top six. and when De Kock Matures he will batt at 6. or seven with Duminy in the mix. Long term, the balance of the team will still be strong. who can stop the them? Most likely Australia. But they need batsmen. the ones they have im not sure off.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I'm worried for SA in the sense that I'm not sure they have a plan B most of the time. One of these days Philander is going to have a series where he's under par and a guy like Morkel will have to be given extra responsibility with the new ball.
Like every series before Philander came on the scene?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is that a good post? SA were nowhere near as dangerous with the ball pre Philander.
They were still one of the top sides.

The way Pup Clarke phrased it was as though they'd lose every game where the 3rd seamer didn't perform.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What? No way was PC saying that. He's just saying without Philander they wouldn't be as dominant. South Africa will always be one of the better test teams.