• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar

was that Sachin Tendulkar last test match

• Total voters

sli

Cricket Spectator
Was that his last test match i hope not i would like the guy to have his last test series in England 2014, it would be a great way to retire for him and all us fans :down:

MrPrez

International Debutant
It wasn't. They'll make sure he gets a last match that everyone knows about and therefore fills the stadium.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Of course it wasn't.

On one hand I kind of feel sorry for Sachin regarding the criticism he has been receiving; everybody goes through form slumps including him, and as (arguably) the best batsman since Bradman he deserves a bit of patience from the selectors and the cricketing community. I'm sure if he keeps playing he will score another ton.

That being said, it's been a great career but all good things must end. The selectors will never drop him, not only because he sells tickets but because of the public backlash. It is basically up to him to call it quits at the right time. If he can play on til the next World cup and hold his place in the team via weight of runs then power to him. To hang around otherwise would be very selfish.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Ponting crapped on his record towards the end but Tendulkar is just as bad. Right now, minnows removed, Tendulkar averages 51.50 - about 0.4 runs more than Ponting.

Satyanash89

Banned
Certainly hope not. Dont care if he deserves to be dropped or not... strange, i think its best for the team that he retires.. but i dont think im ready for a non-sachin indian team. Its just way too huge... Dravid, VVS and now Sachin... i know ill cry :(

Satyanash89

Banned
I thought Ponting crapped on his record towards the end but Tendulkar is just as bad. Right now, minnows removed, Tendulkar averages 51.50 - about 0.4 runs more than Ponting.
Have to laugh when people use that to judge Tendy/Ponting... average of 51 against top sides after playing for 2 decades, after playing numerous great attacks in the 90s like they did is stunning.
Pontings slump lasted almost 3 n 1/2 years though, thats the problem... hope tendulkar doesnt stick around that long :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty sure you're the same bloke who said Ponting went too early.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Have to laugh when people use that to judge Tendy/Ponting... average of 51 against top sides after playing for 2 decades, after playing numerous great attacks in the 90s like they did is stunning.
Pontings slump lasted almost 3 n 1/2 years though, thats the problem... hope tendulkar doesnt stick around that long :ph34r:
True, but it shows that someone like Viv who was barely over 50 and never played the minnow of his time (SL) actually has a very good record (its often criticised for not being higher), despite also having a bad trough towards the end.

Pretty sure you're the same bloke who said Ponting went too early.
I don't get it, what does that have to do with this?

centurymaker

International Captain
actually the real slump started in 2010 ashes series...before that he had only been declining as a bastman.

hoping that tendulkar also fails in the upcoming ODIs so that the liability realizes he should retire immediately. he's clearly well well past it.
I'd rather have laxman playing for india again than tendulkar playing another match tbh.
coz he'd surely do better.
he's still getting big tons in ranji.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is disgusting behaviour, posting such drivel in Sachin's retirement thread

angad

U19 12th Man
He will regain form, one final comeback, will deliver sucker punch and retire on high. He will retire in 2014 from Tests after touring SA and NZ, will play 2015 ODI WC and retire from all forms of Cricket in Australia. He still has 3 Test and 5 ODI centuries in him. :wub:

Howe_zat

Audio File
He should but he won't.
Absolutely no say of ours when he should retire. What should happen is for him to be dropped if he's not good enough.

Honestly hope he plays on for as long as he wants. It's not his responsibility and he doesn't deserve to have to end his own career just because the selectors don't have any guts.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Absolutely no say of ours when he should retire. What should happen is for him to be dropped if he's not good enough.

Honestly hope he plays on for as long as he wants. It's not his responsibility and he doesn't deserve to have to end his own career just because the selectors don't have any guts.
In principle I agree. With Sachin though, you have to wonder whether he has a certain duty to do the right thing given the public uproar that would seemingly greet him being dropped. I dunno.

Aside from that, as I said in another thread, is there someone who will come in and be a better option? Again, I don't follow Indian cricket enough to know but if him being replaced wont improve the side then my first point is irrelevant anyway.

I cringed reading a stack of people saying Paul McCartney should retire because he clearly still loves performing. If nobody wanted to watch him then he's have no audience to perform to anyway. I mean its a bit different because I saw Macca live a year ago and it was absolutely exceptional, but the point for me is that if someone loves doing something then why would they choose to jack it in? If others decide you're no longer good enough then so be it but if you're wanted and you want to do it, why stop?

All I'd say is that if the selectors do decide its time, they should ask him if he'll come out and say it's his decision. That would be a satisfactory way of getting around what I said in my first paragraph, but I don't know how feasible it is, all in all.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
In principle I agree. With Sachin though, you have to wonder whether he has a certain duty to do the right thing given the public uproar that would seemingly greet him being dropped. I dunno.

Aside from that, as I said in another thread, is there someone who will come in and be a better option? Again, I don't follow Indian cricket enough to know but if him being replaced wont improve the side then my first point is irrelevant anyway.

I cringed reading a stack of people saying Paul McCartney should retire because he clearly still loves performing. If nobody wanted to watch him then he's have no audience to perform to anyway. I mean its a bit different because I saw Macca live a year ago and it was absolutely exceptional, but the point for me is that if someone loves doing something then why would they choose to jack it in? If others decide you're no longer good enough then so be it but if you're wanted and you want to do it, why stop?

All I'd say is that if the selectors do decide its time, they should ask him if he'll come out and say it's his decision. That would be a satisfactory way of getting around what I said in my first paragraph, but I don't know how feasible it is, all in all.
Macca should have retired a long time ago, he's embarrassing to watch.