• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who debuted together

aussie tragic

International Captain
Some great/very good debutants together:

1. Sachin Tendulkar and Waqar Younis
2. Viv Richards and Gordon Greenidge
3. Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly
Add some Aussies

Don Bradman and Bert Ironmonger
Jeff Thomson and Max Walker
Bob Simpson and Wally Grout

aussie tragic

International Captain
You've never heard of those blokes, Meuleman I can understand but the others were all partif the Invincibles.
I'm not a big fan of the invincibles as England was devestated after WW2 so I think the result is heavily over rated, however I see now that McCool and Toshack do have some short but impressive records

aussie tragic

International Captain
A devastating West indies bowling debut

Colin Croft and Joel Garner vs Pak in Bridgetown 1976/77

Croft took 7 and Garner 6 in a side that included Andy Roberts in his prime (he took 4 and a part time spinner took the other 3)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
NZ debut with a twist

Dayle Hadlee and Hedley Howarth debuted together in 1969 before their more famous brothers Richard and Geoff debuted individually in the 70's

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hick and Ramprakash against WI in 1991. Obviously not ATGs but oddly similar careers.

Did Lillee and Greg Chappell debut together against England in 1970/71? Or possibly Rod Marsh? Maybe not quite , but I cba to check.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I'm sure if you go back far enough you could find 11 players who debuted together. Some of them must have had some success

Edit: You could probably find 22 actually

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Did Lillee and Greg Chappell debut together against England in 1970/71? Or possibly Rod Marsh? Maybe not quite , but I cba to check.
They all debuted in 1970/71 vs England, Rod Marsh in Brisbane, Greg Chappell in Perth and Dennis Lillee in Adelaide

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
which happened to be greg mail's last FC game #legend

bracken's too. #circle of life

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They all debuted in 1970/71 vs England, Rod Marsh in Brisbane, Greg Chappell in Perth and Dennis Lillee in Adelaide
Ta. So not quite what we're looking for here, but a handy trio to arrive in one series. Didn't they all retire at the same time?

aussie tragic

International Captain
reckon hughes has played tests already
well that's not fair, how may many all time greats were never dropped....Bradman, Ponting and S. Waugh are 3 that come to mind,,,,and there's another question...which ATG's were never dropped.....Greg Chappell, Border, Tendulker?

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ta. So not quite what we're looking for here, but a handy trio to arrive in one series. Didn't they all retire at the same time?
From the 1983-84 5th Test vs Pak match report

After close of play on the second day, Chappell announced in a television interview with his brother Ian, that he would retire from Test cricket at the end of the match. Later that evening Lillee also decided that this would be his last Test match, confirming his decision next morning, while later in the match Marsh said he would not be available for Australia's forthcoming tour of the West Indies.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
well that's not fair, how may many all time greats were never dropped....Bradman, Ponting and S. Waugh are 3 that come to mind,,,,and there's another question...which ATG's were never dropped.....Greg Chappell, Border, Tendulker?
Border might have been, if only because he originally debuted during WSC so he might have missed out when the first XI returned to the fold.

uvelocity

International Coach
look i don't like noble one either, but he asked about retire and debut that's all