• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa ATG - Open Voting

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Smith is just the man. Dunno whether he gets a spot but I can't help but love the guy.

Look at the culture he's instilled in the team. Never do you hear them bitching about anything when they lose. No excuses - even when excuses would be valid.

watson

Banned
Mitchell's only blemish is that that he averages 31.83 against Australia over 10 Tests. Highest score is 95.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Smith averages 37.28 against Australia, but has scored 3 centuries over 18 Tests.

Is this a big enough difference to sway things toward Smith? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Mitchell gets the nod for being a giant in some pretty ordinary SA teams.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I'm 100% letting my hating of smith cloud my judgement
Speaking strictly from a neurological point of view - this is not possible. All decisions are filtered through both the amygdala (Limbic System) and the Prefrontal Cortex.

Hence ALL decisions made by the human brain have a non-rational emotional component whether we like it or not.

Just thought I'd mention that for the wanna be Dr Spocks.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I grew up in London (SW19) during the 70s so I have a soft spot for Barry Richards and Eddie Barlow who were the darlings of County Cricket at the time.
:D I meant Richard as in 80,000 odd posts - would love to see him as seen through the Limbic System and Prefrontal Cortex, always assuming that would indicate what on earth made him tick

watson

Banned
:D I meant Richard as in 80,000 odd posts - would love to see him as seen through the Limbic System and Prefrontal Cortex, always assuming that would indicate what on earth made him tick
Richard of the 80,000 posts sounds facinating. Can we get him back?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Richards: 27
Smith: 17
Mitchell:13
Kirsten: 4
Barlow: 2
Taylor: 1

Not as close as I would have though. Still, time left so we will see.

watson

Banned
Richards: 27
Smith: 17
Mitchell:13
Kirsten: 4
Barlow: 2
Taylor: 1

Not as close as I would have though. Still, time left so we will see.
Yes, I thought that the connoisseurs of cricket would outnumber the riff-raff and vote for the fine wine of Mitchell over the cheap lager of Smith :p

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Barry Richards and Graeme Smith - Personally think Herbie Taylor should partner Richards but as it is obvious that he won't be picked, Smith is the next best choice particularly s a captain is needed

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell's only blemish is that that he averages 31.83 against Australia over 10 Tests. Highest score is 95.

Smith averages 37.28 against Australia, but has scored 3 centuries over 18 Tests.

Is this a big enough difference to sway things toward Smith? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Mitchell gets the nod for being a giant in some pretty ordinary SA teams.
adding to this, he was a fine slip fielder as well

Going to Australia the following winter, Mitchell again finished at the head of the batting figures for Test matches, and also earned golden opinions during the tour for his admirable slip fielding. In the third Test Match, he made six catches, the one that disposed of Woodfull being described as brilliant. It is not flattery to describe him as a slip fieldsman of the first flight and for his proficiency in this direction something is probably due to Halliwell, the South African wicket-keeper, who used to teach him to catch when he was only six years old.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
My ever evolving perspective on the issue now states that Richards simply didn't play enough test cricket for South Africa.

Bruce Mitchell
Graeme Smith.

On that note.

Called.

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
This one should be by far the easiest selections of the team

Middle Order: Choose any three of the following batsmen or any viable alternative choices to take up positions 3 - 5

Herbie Taylor
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Daryll Cullinan
Jacques Kallis
A.B de Villiers
Hashim Amla

Last edited: