Cricket Player Manager
Page 15 of 284 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side. I don't buy it being because Williamson's place in the side is uncertain. He just scored a 100 in his last match and has performed better than any other New Zealand number 3 since Fleming (not saying much, but it still counts). Even if his number 3 spot were in question (which it can't be any time soon, given the lack of viable replacements), Williamson would be more likely to drop down the order rather than drop out of the side altogether.

Bowlers almost never make good captains, and I've seen nothing from Southee in his career to date to suggest that he'd be likely to buck that trend. Maybe Hesson legitimately believes that Southee is captaincy material, but if this is true, it's very hard to see it as anything other than a calculated powerplay to entrench McCullum's position by filling the vc role with a supporter of his.

Ugh.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 17-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour?
    Just rumour. NZ Cricket have come out and said they don't know where the rumour came from and that it isn't true. Of course, they are about as trustworthy as Chris Martin's forward defense - so it could actually be true.

Black Caps Vice Captain: No Decision Yet | Stuff.co.nz

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    But we want to get angry at NZC!
    Exit pursuing a beer

lol that title "No Decision Yet"

reminds me of "Ross is Captain For Now"

David White has proven he knows less about what's happening in the team than Talkback Joe.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Binkley View Post
    Just rumour. NZ Cricket have come out and said they don't know where the rumour came from and that it isn't true. Of course, they are about as trustworthy as Chris Martin's forward defense - so it could actually be true.

Black Caps Vice Captain: No Decision Yet | Stuff.co.nz
    Phew, that makes me feel slightly better for the moment. But given that Hesson is the man who'll choose the vc, I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed a while longer.

Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side.
    Also filled in as captain for Gloucestershire aged 20 when Gidman was injured.

BBC Sport - Gloucestershire captain Gidman faces spell on sidelines

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Anyone going to follow the practise 20/20 tonight?

I have work in the morning so probably cbf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Captain sonnench's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

On holiday atm, so i'll be following it on cricinfo if i'm up. Wish they would televise the game, should be pretty close imo.

Was hoping Supersport would show it as I found a way to watch their stuff online, however it doesn't seem that they are.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

First innings maybe.

Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side. I don't buy it being because Williamson's place in the side is uncertain. He just scored a 100 in his last match and has performed better than any other New Zealand number 3 since Fleming (not saying much, but it still counts). Even if his number 3 spot were in question (which it can't be any time soon, given the lack of viable replacements), Williamson would be more likely to drop down the order rather than drop out of the side altogether.

Bowlers almost never make good captains, and I've seen nothing from Southee in his career to date to suggest that he'd be likely to buck that trend. Maybe Hesson legitimately believes that Southee is captaincy material, but if this is true, it's very hard to see it as anything other than a calculated powerplay to entrench McCullum's position by filling the vc role with a supporter of his.

Ugh.
    Agree entirely. This was my reaction as well. Good thing it has been confirmed as a rumour.

Incidentally, what are peoples thoughts on how the captaincy will affect McCullum's batting? I can't help think it will stifle his natural game which I'm not sure will be a good thing.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Don't think it's gonna get far worse than it is ATM tbf - although can't see it having any positive effect on his batting either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Agree entirely. This was my reaction as well. Good thing it has been confirmed as a rumour.

Incidentally, what are peoples thoughts on how the captaincy will affect McCullum's batting? I can't help think it will stifle his natural game which I'm not sure will be a good thing.
    General trend seems to be that the higher the expectations of McCullum's batting are, the worse it gets. Though tbf he has turned this round a little in the last couple of years.

I definitely do not want to see McCullum batting down the order though (tests). Must stay as opener.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I definitely do not want to see McCullum batting down the order though (tests). Must stay as opener.
    +1.

He actually has the best technique for an opener of all the NZ batsmen.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    +1.

He actually has the best technique for an opener of all the NZ batsmen.
    Technique doesnt count for **** when your shot selection is ****

Edit: Completely agree with you though
    Last edited by ohnoitsyou; 18-12-2012 at 03:35 AM.

School Boy/Girl Captain longtom's Avatar
    regards

longtom

Thread Information