• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Would be interesting to see if an Opera singer could injure Watson by singing his at his resonant frequency, the **** is made of glass after all.

Ruckus

International Captain
Reckon that should basically be it for Watson's bowling. The selectors have to way up whether he is of more value as a allrounder injured 50% of the time, or as a batsman alone. Pretty clear decision for me. Still believe he has it in him to be good enough to play just as a batsman, but don't think he should bowl anymore than 5 overs or so in a match, if at all. Fortunately, think this team is increasingly less reliant on his bowling too, with the depth we have going now. Line/length bowlers like Bird should be capable of providing the consistency he did anyway.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well if watson isn't bowling....i mean, without bowling he's just an older version of Usman, but with more uppish drives.

Ruckus

International Captain
Even with Khawaja in the team, the batting line-up is still not set in concrete. Cowan, Hughes and Khawaja himself are still unknowns for me. Plus add in Hussey's retirement in a year or two, and unless there is another batsman better than Watson out there (which there isn't atm), they'll still likely be room for him in the team as a batsman alone.

TumTum

Banned
I don't get the Herath sympathising. It's not like he's been bowling unplayable deliveries without luck. He's just had a really long day without getting wickets, only troubled the batsmen for a short while but the batsmen just blocked him out for most of the day.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't get the Herath sympathising. It's not like he's been bowling unplayable deliveries without luck. He's just had a really long day without getting wickets, only troubled the batsmen for a short while but the batsmen just blocked him out for most of the day.
When you have five missed chances I think you deserve a little sympathy. It's not like old-Hilf style where he was just beating the bat heaps, he was actually creating chances which weren't taken.

benchmark00

Nah you've all overrated how Herath bowled. The chances he did create were very largely batsman error. Dilshan bowled as well if not better. Just didn't bowl for as long.

TumTum

Banned
When you have five missed chances I think you deserve a little sympathy. It's not like old-Hilf style where he was just beating the bat heaps, he was actually creating chances which weren't taken.
They were very hard chances, not regulation ones, most from aggressive batting not great deliveries.

I agree with benchmark's comments earlier that he didn't look threatening at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson's not bowling I'm not picking him. Simple as that.
Got 83 today so he isnt getting dropped plus Clarke obviously isnt 100% so they wont leave both out

If one is out for next test - Usman plays

If both are out - Usman and ?

Henriques is injured

Mitch Marsh is injured or drunk

Dussey is too old

Guy like Maxwell could get a surprise call up or do they bring in Starc and have Wade bat at 6

None of the above is probably the correct answer

Top_Cat

If he suffered it bowling and he batted fine with it well...
I don't think he batted 'fine', honestly. Some nice shots but some really horrid play when the ball was up. Looked ginger and I wonder when the calf was tweaked or if he even came into the game with it not 100%.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah you've all overrated how Herath bowled. The chances he did create were very largely batsman error. Dilshan bowled as well if not better. Just didn't bowl for as long.
believe it or not, but the batsman has to make some error for any chances created. Edges between keeper and slip, dropped catches at short mid on and slip etc etc are some of the least "batsman being an idiot" chances one could force. He created the chances and they weren't taken.

But obviously, he's just lucky to be the number one test wicket taker this year. Clearly pretty ****...

They were very hard chances, not regulation ones,
Does an edge going between the slips mean it was bowled more poorly than a ball that went straight to the slips?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Watson is becoming borderline destabilising IMO, however. Worth starting a thread about it, I think.

benchmark00

If Clarke and Watson are out for Sydney then we've got Hussey or Warner captaining.

And Watson as a bat alone is better than Khawaja. People forget how good of a bat Watson is. He ****ing dominated shield cricket.

benchmark00

believe it or not, but the batsman has to make some error for any chances created. Edges between keeper and slip, dropped catches at short mid on and slip etc etc are some of the least "batsman being an idiot" chances one could force. He created the chances and they weren't taken.

But obviously, he's just lucky to be the number one test wicket taker this year. Clearly pretty ****...

Does an edge going between the slips mean it was bowled more poorly than a ball that went straight to the slips?

I agre
Top contribution as always.

benchmark00

I don't think he batted 'fine', honestly. Some nice shots but some really horrid play when the ball was up. Looked ginger and I wonder when the calf was tweaked or if he even came into the game with it not 100%.
Yeah no doubt it wasn't one of his best knocks, but what I meant was that he was able to bat with it, not totally restrictive.