• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft League Season 4: Voting Thread

Vote for the three best teams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Is my team really that bad?
It's a great team I think, in fact it was pretty hard for me to decide between the ties. Your team also has a great captain, great w.k. and good bowling combination with three fast bowlers and two spinners- Verity and Mushtaq. Deserves more votes.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
It's a great team I think, in fact it was pretty hard for me to decide between the ties. Your team also has a great captain, great w.k. and good bowling combination with three fast bowlers and two spinners- Verity and Mushtaq. Deserves more votes.
I agree. The 5 bowlers selected plus the great keeping skills of Cameron make for a strong attack with excellent variety;

6. Mushtaq Mohammad
7. Jock Cameron †
8. Hedley Verity
9. Ian Bishop
10. Colin Croft
11. Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Hard decision. Decided on...

kingkallis-
Beast of a bowling attack. I consider Marshall and Lillee the two greatest quicks ever, so to get both was brilliant. Snow able to be drafted in on quick wickets as well. Botham a great first change and provides tremendous batting depth coming in at 8. Kumble will provide great support, and come in to his own on day 4 and 5, along with Faulkner. Two high quality spinners there.

I'm not Hayden's biggest fan, but he does the job, and my admiration for Sutcliffe is immense. L/R opening combo of high quality there. Chappell a combative and skilled #3 (and great captain), and Pollock probably the best #4 there is. Hussey at 6 has proven time and again the value of the counterattack lately.

Quality slip cordon with Chappell, Pollock and Botham to take the edges from Lillee and Marshall. Hussey a great ground fielder as well.

Blakus
Trueman, Pollock and Walsh are a great pace attack who would refuse to tire. I'm not Murali's biggest fan, but he gets the job done as effectively as any spinner in history. Hammond a capable 5th option.

Hammond, Weekes and Miandad in the middle order sold this to me. Brilliant stuff. Jayawardene at six is a big partnership player. I'd love to see him and Ponsford make a total together. Ponsford and Sehwag good openers who would compliment each other well. Batting solid right down to Pollock at 8.

Hammond and Weekes both good slippers. Only change I'd make would be to have Hammond captain.

MichaelF7777
Think I was the first to vote for him, which surprised me. Lindwall, Miller, Spofforth, Laker and Trumble are an a-class attack. Waugh and Grace capable of providing medium pace support.

Grace is heavily romanticised, but there is no doubting his ability. Taylor was regarded as one of the finest of his day, with a textbook technique. Sangakkara, despite home track bully allegations, is a fine LH #3. Crowe is well regarded here by CW people. If he was English/Aust he'd be in many more ATG teams (maybe). Waugh, Miller, Healy and Lindwall a great mid/lower order, and Trumble is very capable at 9.

Hard decisions, some great teams drafted here.

Thanks to Jager for running it!
Putting aside the 'chucking' controversy for a minute - There is a very good case for believing that Murali is the greatest bowler of all time. Fast, medium, or slow. Can't say I entirely disagree with that belief.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Monk, kyear and Blakus

Shortlisted 4 teams based on bowling strength (fourth was Michaelf). Blakus has the best 4th bowling option making his attack the best.

watson

Banned
Yes, it's going to be tight Jager.

Has everyone voted yet? From memory, it's 'compulsory' for all participants.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Perhaps I've got my green and gold tinted glasses on, but Monk's team is the best - just think those 4 bowlers would work brilliantly in tandem.

Himannv

International Coach
Just three votes? I did think my team was better than that.

A bit surprised that watson isn't in the lead. I thought he had a very strong team.

watson

Banned
Just three votes? I did think my team was better than that.

A bit surprised that watson isn't in the lead. I thought he had a very strong team.
I think that 6-7 votes is about what I expected because;

1. Rohan Kanhai is an 'aquired taste' as a No.3
2. B.Richards and Procter are unknown quantities due to to their lack of Test match experience.
3. Woolley averaged in the mid-30s
4. Benaud is a very good spinner as opposed to a truly great spinner.
5. The fast bowling combo of Ambrose-Hall-Procter lacks a 'certain something'.

watson

Banned
I think that if you want to Draft well and pick up votes then you need 3-4 'baby players' (ie. everyone finds them adorable) in your team. For example;

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Joel Garner
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Brian Lara
5. Gary Sobers

On the other hand, some players like Bob Simpson, Mushtaq Mohammed, and Hashim Amla appear to give the 'kiss of death' because they are on the wrong end of the 'Cool Wall'.

Lastly, always try and choose a name that sounds heroic as opposed to daggy. Hence select Harvey or McCabe at No.3 rather than Dravid or Ul-Haq if possible.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I think that if you want to Draft well and pick up votes then you need 3-4 'baby players' (ie. everyone finds them adorable) in your team. For example;

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Joel Garner
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Brian Lara
5. Gary Sobers

On the other hand, some players like Bob Simpson, Mushtaq Mohammed, and Hashim Amla appear to give the 'kiss of death' because they are on the wrong end of the 'Cool Wall'.

Lastly, always try and choose a name that sounds heroic as opposed to daggy. Hence select Harvey or McCabe at No.3 rather than Dravid or Ul-Haq if possible.
Mushtaq is underrated I feel, he faced some great attacks in his days and spin in his armory is another package.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I must admit that Mushtaq Mohammad did put me off Kyear's team. Inzy is another bat that Watson mentioned who puts me off a bit too.

If King Kallis selects John Snow in his XI and drops Faulkner, moving up Hussey and Botham I would have found it difficult to ignore his team.

Just so I don't get these guys angry, all the teams are terrific and close to equal, so its a tough task and these were just small faults which ultimately cost them my vote.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Joel Garner
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Brian Lara
5. Gary Sobers

I have McCabe and Harvey, so I'll bite here. Dravid, great cricketer, slow batsman, very rarely took a game on and won it himself. Struggled to impose himself on a contest in a way that wins matches. Inzy, great batsman, but lazy, and a liability in the field. Harvey and McCabe, both batsmen who took the game away from the opposition regularly.

There is a reason why people see the names Sobers and Lara in teams and it sways them. It's not that they're "baby" players. It's the fact that they have the ability to destroy other teams. I'm a big fan of Simpson's all round game, and I would've taken him this draft over Barnes had he been available, but he doesn't really strike fear in to the opposition.