• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really liked the look of Mohammed Shami during the ODIs against Australia so I was very happy to see him selected in the Test team and from what I saw, he looked very good. Has the potential to be the best right arm quick from India since Srinath. Not the loftiest of goals, but still.
Quite like the fact that he's come up in the first impressions thread.

While I think I may him seen him play in the Champions League for KKR a couple of years ago as well, my first real look at him was his ODI debut in January this year. I could see why he was successful domestically; bowled at a decent pace and got a little bit a movement, but I thought he was fundamentally flawed in that his front arm was very inconsistent and he often got no momentum through the crease. He took me as a guy who was putting absolutely everything into every ball to achieve the mid-130s pace he was generating and as such had comparatively little control over the rest of his movements.

There was some noted improvements in his action when he played IPL this year, but by the time he showed up in the ODIs against Australia he looked almost a completely different bowler to me. He gets himself nicely side on for every ball now, possibly owing to him fixing that front arm properly and explodes through the crease properly. He seems a bit stronger in general than when I first saw him and he really looks a proper Test prospect now. It'll be interesting to see if he can maintain it all given he wasn't bowling even close to this well twelve months ago. It seems the time in the national setup has genuinely helped him immensely so far which isn't something you often say about Indian seamers..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Now we need Xuhaib's verdict and if it's positive we can pretty much lock him in as a future Indian ATG.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I really liked the look of Mohammed Shami during the ODIs against Australia so I was very happy to see him selected in the Test team and from what I saw, he looked very good. Has the potential to be the best right arm quick from India since Srinath. Not the loftiest of goals, but still.
Who is it now? Ajit Agarkar?

salman85

International Debutant
Shami has looked good.Though he hasn't looked as good as cricinfo would have you believe.

I think he needs to build up physically a bit.And of course, be coached by the right people.Going by India's history of overhyped fast bowlers,the chances of Shami eventually fizzling out are much higher compared to the chances of him developing into a something noteworthy.There have been Indian fast bowlers in the past who have done better than Shami in the initial parts of the career (Ishant for one), only to become absolute jokes later on.

I think it is imperative that he is coached by someone capable at this stage of his career.Wasim for me, would be one such guy.He has worked with Indian pacemen in the past, and their performances have always gone up when he's been around.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
i liked the look of him in that odi where the deck had a bit in it. looks ripe to do well on non sc tracks imo

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Fortunately for us all, Shami's fully sequenced genome is now (finally) available to all on Cricinfo.

Frankly, they're very late on it; I mean, really, it should have been out as soon as he delivered a ball above 130kph. I am very frustrated by the lack transcriptome data, to be honest. How can I conclusively say that he'll be the best pace bowler to ever play the game without at least some idea of which Super Fast Bowling Gene Clusters (SuFaBoGeCs) are translated upon the consumption of a biryani?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, they're really going overboard this time.

Tbf though, I love to see articles like this, and the one that came out when Awana was drafted in to the squad earlier (even though he never got a game). Just goes to show how hard it is for majority of the population to succeed in the sport, even if they have the talent.