Cricket Player Manager
Page 54 of 150 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Surprised Bracewell still averages sub 30. Has he bowled well since the Aus series?

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    glad i didn't watch this game today.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Oh well, let's hope Southee and Boult pick up a few wickets to bring their averages down to ground.
    Nah he'll just beat the bat a few times, have a couple of edges go through the slips and finish with 0/24 off five. Bracewell on the other hand will no doubt pick up a few jammy wickets.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Surprised Bracewell still averages sub 30. Has he bowled well since the Aus series?
    He's been pretty meh. His natural length really doesn't work on SC pitches (including the Windies here)

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I just can't get over the fact that Rob Nicol is our only reserve batsman

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    He will be in consideration for the next match.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Okay, so I’ve stepped away from the computer for a bit to lower my blood pressure.

It’s pretty easy to sit here behind my keyboard and mouth off, but here’s my best monkeys take on it with our best copy of Microsoft Word, player by player.

McCullum isn’t stupid. He knew last night that losing a wicket is the last thing we wanted, just like on day 1 he knew we weren’t in a position where we could afford a batsman to throw it all away. One thing I have noticed, along with the need to feel bat on ball early that the commentators mention all the time which betrays a lack of confidence early in his innings, is he has to remind himself to respect good bowling, or at least that’s how it looks to me when I watch him. Jayawardene and Sangakkara have respected 10,000 good balls before and will respect 10,000 more. It’s ingrained into how they bat. I don’t know whether his dominance of age group cricket has given him no appreciation of respect for the bowler, or whether his role as a wicket keeper batsman curtailed his batting development earlier in his career, or whether it’s arrogance. He tries to bat like the second coming of Viv or Gilchrist but even they blocked ocassionally. McCullum has neither the ingrained ability to respect the bowler nor the execution of those two batsmen. His technique is actually pretty decent but when it comes to actually batting he’s the second coming of McMillan. At his age he probably doesn’t have the time to change his ways so it might be worth telling him to get out there and pretend to be Sehwag minus the sucking in NZ thing.

I admire Guptill’s determination to be a good batsman. It’s obvious from his actions he really wants it, but he isn’t and never was good enough for test cricket as things currently stand. He’s good enough to pick up one half century per series but a combination of glaring technical faults, poor shot selection and never dominating any level of professional cricket in the whites for an extended period has both denied him the time to tweak his game and learn how to construct an innings. He’s a decent ODI batsman, a world class fielder, and if he was dropped he would probably take domestic attacks to the cleaners, especially on his home ground aka the roadiest road that ever roaded. Test cricket isn’t the place to learn how to bat though.

Williamson has no confidence, or at least that’s what I guess is behind the poking and prodding. As Howsie said earlier he’s a shadow of his former self. I was hoping his century against South Africa would be the making of him but it obviously hasn’t. Confidence isn’t something that can be solved by scoring another 284* for ND (he failed in Australia right after), especially since everyone including him knows NZ FC =/= test cricket, so really I’ve got nothing for him other than faking it until you make it.

Taylor must surely be weighed down by responsibility. Fans, the opposition, his team and Taylor himself know he is the wicket, especially with no Ryder or Vettori. Unlike Chanderpaul, Taylor wasn’t given the opportunity to get comfortable in test cricket alongside Brian Lara before becoming both the captain and the big wicket. I’m going to speculate this is the reason behind Taylor being edgy early, then either scoring really fast with high risk shots or really slowly. This is an issue that can only be solved by batting with better batsmen, so um, move to South Africa I guess?

Daniel Flynn looks like a test batsman nowadays, and his only issue is milestones, both personal and match related. Just needs to chill out and bat in a bubble and he will be fine.

Franklin is Franklin. I cbf even starting on this one. Suffice to say the next test will probably be his last.

So yeah in a groundbreaking discovery, we basically need to pick the least flawed batsmen. Looking outside the squad, Ryder is an obvious candidate, because his issues are all off field. Brownlie is an excellent player of fast bowling but we won’t know how good he is against test standard spin until he faces some again. Batting higher in the order, maybe even opening, will help him avoid starting against spin especially in home tests. I wouldn’t mind him trying his hand at opening for Canterbury in their next game (especially since they've got Fulton there). I really haven’t seen enough of Watling mk II in the whites to say anything but he is easily our most improved ODI player and is willing to do anything required of him to the best of his ability, and that earns him Phlegm Points.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 19-11-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    That was a cute move and it's going to backfire, as it deserves to.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I read what you wrote, it makes sense, but I don't even know if this performance deserves a post-mortem

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Hearth was always awesome, just never got a game because Murali didn't want be showed up by another spinner that could take overs and wickets of him.

He has been bowling like this for 15 years at domestic level.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cannot understand why Franklin plays instead of Watling. NZ anyway has three seamers, and on SL conditions dibbly dobblies don't get wickets. Ryder would have made this side different.

I'd play,

Guptill, Watling, McCullum, Taylor, Ryder, Flynn, Wan Wyk, Southee, Bracewell, Patel, Boult

Ryder will anyway provide those dibbly dobblies if they are valued so much.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Agree with pretty much everything you've said.

The thing about McCullum is he looks much better when he has an aggressive batsman at the other end. It calms his game plane, makes him look like he can just bat and give the other guy strike.

Ironically, the biggest skill Ryder has over the other NZ batsmen is mental. He just has a simple game plan. There's no mental struggle of needing to dominate the bowling, he just hits the bad balls and respects the good ones.

Here's my Sri Lanka post (will keep this short)

There isn't much their batsmen could have done to mitigate Southee and Boult. Apart from Pirana those were genuine gagfc dismissals. Karunaratne especially got a nasty one on debut.

My only criticism would be Jayawardene and Mathews didn't kill New Zealand completely with the bat. Mathews especially got out in a soft fashion to a bowler who was bowling tight but not with any great venom. Mathews also looked shaky to short pitched quick bowling early on with hook shots that looked compulsive, but since this was my first real look at him in the whites you guys will know better than me about it.

Prasaana got out in supreme chump fashion.

The bowlers were excellent. Kulasekara in particular hit great lines and lengths, which is exactly what you want your medium pacer to do when there is no movement on offer. Herath was simply ****ing awesome. The 2nd innings dismissals of Taylor and Flynn especially were great to watch.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 19-11-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Cannot understand why Franklin plays instead of Watling. NZ anyway has three seamers, and on SL conditions dibbly dobblies don't get wickets. Ryder would have made this side different.

I'd play,

Guptill, Watling, McCullum, Taylor, Ryder, Flynn, Wan Wyk, Southee, Bracewell, Patel, Boult

Ryder will anyway provide those dibbly dobblies if they are valued so much.
    Watling and Ryder aren't in the squad. Ryder is on a self imposed hiatus, but is playing FC.

How embarassing will it be for Nicol to watch this performance, and still he won't get picked for the next match.

The annoying thing though about the side which failed here is that there's really no obvious way to improve it. The top 5 are made up of the best 5 batsmen in the country (along with Ryder). No matter how often the likes of McCullum and Taylor under-perform and seem to waste their natural talent, there simply isn't anyone better. Ryder is of course the exception to that, and presumably will replace Franklin for the home tests (though Vettori will be fit by then I guess and we can resume the whole "balance of the attack vs Vettori at 6" arguments again).

Thread Information