• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Even if he does we're unlikely to know it. The speed radar is only being used about once out of every 10 deliveries.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Any chance of Milne bowling properly fast today, or does he not do that anymore?
Nah you only have to bowl fast for a little while to get into the New Zealand setup, then you can start bowling the same speed as all the other bowlers with less control and less movement, while still maintaining full rights to get picked ahead of much more deserving bowlers.

thierry henry

International Coach
Nah you only have to bowl fast for a little while to get into the New Zealand setup, then you can start bowling the same speed as all the other bowlers with less control and less movement, while still maintaining full rights to get picked ahead of much more deserving bowlers.

lol I was seriously just thinking about Butler, specifically about him bowling Michael Vaughan with a 130kph half-volley in 2001/02. It was like he bowled Vaughan purely by supposedly being fast, was hoping Milne might be able to do the same.

thierry henry

International Coach
The other funny thing about Butler was that the 2008/09 onwards version of Butler was supposed to be an injury-wrecked medium pacer and a "bowling all-rounder". In reality he was bowling much the same pace as he did for a lot of his international career with the same action and run-up and was still only slightly better than a tail-ender.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That was a decent ball to get Sangakkara. Rather lucky to hit the seam though considering how wobbly it was. Is definitely quicker this over than his first.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lovely bit of bowling from Milne there. Probably the first time I've ever seen him hit a good length 2 balls in a row.

Mike5181

International Captain
That can't be right cos Danny Morrison was just saying this guy bowls 145k PLUS

Anyway, I'm not meaning to troll Milne - he's bowling pretty well and obviously I want him to do well
To be fair he's not a fraud pace-wise. We know he can bowl genuinely fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness, I'm not sure about the accuracy of the speed radar today. The only other delivery where the speed came up that I've seen was a quickish looking ball from Southee that measured at 117k.

thierry henry

International Coach
McMillan just said a ball was 142kph even though nothing came up on screen. He then went on to say that Milne was going to get faster over the next few years and that was "a good sign for New Zealand".

We're struggling when Craig McMillan's attempts at fortune-telling based on absolutely nothing are our "good signs".

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness, I'm not sure about the accuracy of the speed radar today. The only other delivery where the speed came up that I've seen was a quickish looking ball from Southee that measured at 117k.
speed gun eats into the ROI of this series :dry:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McMillan just said a ball was 142kph even though nothing came up on screen. He then went on to say that Milne was going to get faster over the next few years and that was "a good sign for New Zealand".

We're struggling when Craig McMillan's attempts at fortune-telling based on absolutely nothing are our "good signs".
Was trying not to get annoyed by these comments too, but hey, turns out I'm easily annoyed :)

McMillan (or maybe Morrison) was also saying it's good to have a bit of pace because the rest of our attack are just 130ish. Has he been ignoring Southee and Boult recently?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
If Milne becomes a successful bowler, it's not going to be because of raw pace, that's for sure. Amazing the difference a bit of nip either way makes.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will be great if there's this much swing and seam around for the test series. Am imagining Colombo will be slow with turn, but have hopes for a little assistance for seamers in Galle. Is that about right?