Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian ATG Team- Open Voting

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Yup. I think Ponting, who usually gets left out of the Aussie middle order, was significantly better than most of the opening options and it's worth the slight cheat on position.

I think it's odd that people like Hutton or Headley are played out of position in these XIs but the Don never is, surely if any no.3 is qualified to open the batting, he is.
    Natural openers are generally more equipped to go down to three than the other way around, but I admire the thought you put into it.

Would it not be better to just make Ponting open himself than potentially decrease the output of your best batsman by a huge margin though? If for whatever reason it doesn't work and the batsman you shoehorn fails, you're losing a lot more with Bradman than you would with Ponting.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 18-10-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    yeah if you move bradman from 3 to opening he might only average 94, dumbarse
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Not to be presumptuous, but looking at some of the teams it is apparent that they are some locks for.certain teams that every one can agree with. For Australia I would assume Bradman, Chappell, Liklee and Warne would be the automatic selections. The West Indies for example, only needs to fill in three spots, opener opposite Greenidge, wicket keeper and fourth bowler (pace or spin and which player). Just my opnion to speed up the process.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Not to be presumptuous, but looking at some of the teams it is apparent that they are some locks for.certain teams that every one can agree with. For Australia I would assume Bradman, Chappell, Liklee and Warne would be the automatic selections. The West Indies for example, only needs to fill in three spots, opener opposite Greenidge, wicket keeper and fourth bowler (pace or spin and which player). Just my opnion to speed up the process.
    Meh it's all part of the process. As long as there's not too much of that to a point of tedium - and there isn't - then it's still worth doing. I certainly won't be voting for Lillee anyway for example so even if it's obvious he'll get there by consensus of everyone else, I want the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Natural openers are generally more equipped to go down to three than the other way around, but I admire the thought you put into it.

Would it not be better to just make Ponting open himself than potentially decrease the output of your best batsman by a huge margin though? If for whatever reason it doesn't work and the batsman you shoehorn fails, you're losing a lot more with Bradman than you would with Ponting.
    I think Ponting is stylisticly less equipped to make the jump, he was a great deal more aggressive for one thing. I'd value an in-depth opinion on this, though.

More to the point, I think it's a little redundant as in the case of an early wicket, the no.3 has to go ahead and face the new ball anyway. I don't think you can really plan your side around what happens in event of failure.

No doubt opening provides an extra challenge, which is why I've gone for the one who I think could cope with it best. If you can think of a technical reason why you think, say, Border could open instead then I'd be interested to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Meh it's all part of the process. As long as there's not too much of that to a point of tedium - and there isn't - then it's still worth doing. I certainly won't be voting for Lillee anyway for example so even if it's obvious he'll get there by consensus of everyone else, I want the process.
    I'd also say that streamlining the thread into a preocess of automatically removing all the interesting selections or non-selections wont help it much. I understand it's probably going down that road anyway, but we are supposed to discussing it at least

Yup. I think Ponting, who usually gets left out of the Aussie middle order, was significantly better than most of the opening options and it's worth the slight cheat on position.

I think it's odd that people like Hutton or Headley are played out of position in these XIs but the Don never is, surely if any no.3 is qualified to open the batting, he is.
    Don't think that we should cheat for Headley or Hutton either, partially because it is a cheat and also because it leads to this as well.

I'd also say that streamlining the thread into a preocess of automatically removing all the interesting selections or non-selections wont help it much. I understand it's probably going down that road anyway, but we are supposed to discussing it at least
    Yeah; I suppose it depends what we actually want from this thread. I've noticed an increasing trend of people on here, for some reason, wanting to create an "official" CW list of all-time teams that we all have to abide by as some sort of undeniable status. If that's going to be the sole purpose of this thread then sure, you can probably lock four or five players from each country right now, but I'd like to actually discuss people's ideas and their rationale.

No problem at all, was just a thought. Hope people take it more seriosly than the last thread.

Cheers.
    Last edited by kyear2; 18-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.

U19 Debutant
    Simpson and Taylor..big fan of Mark Taylor..awesome in every sense..Opening,Captaincy, Slip Fielding and Classy Guy....

International 12th Man
    Sid Barnes and Arthur Morris have my vote

Eds
    Victor Trumper & Arthur Morris.

I'd also have considered Archie Jackson were he available for selection.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Yeah; I suppose it depends what we actually want from this thread. I've noticed an increasing trend of people on here, for some reason, wanting to create an "official" CW list of all-time teams that we all have to abide by as some sort of undeniable status. If that's going to be the sole purpose of this thread then sure, you can probably lock four or five players from each country right now, but I'd like to actually discuss people's ideas and their rationale.
    The lists I post are suggestions. Feel free to suggest other players, and anything legit will be added to the list. I know people get sick of these threads, and that's fair enough, but imo the point is to discuss the merits of players, which I find pretty interested. I enjoy learning about players from eras gone.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The lists I post are suggestions. Feel free to suggest other players, and anything legit will be added to the list. I know people get sick of these threads, and that's fair enough, but imo the point is to discuss the merits of players, which I find pretty interested. I enjoy learning about players from eras gone.
    Given a completely free hand I'd have said Archie Jackson to go in first with VT - but I'd still have played Barnes in the middle order, and it will surprise no one to know Stan McCabe is a must for me, so given the inevitable number three my batting line-up would be

Trumper
    Jackson
    Bradman
    Barnes
    McCabe

**** me to watch that lot I'd even renounce my British passport, buy some moleskin trousers and an Akubra, and learn all the words to Advance Australia Fair - there may be a few with better averages than VT,AJ and SM, but they would be amazing to watch, and the other two would bail the side out if they had a collective off day

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    2 good/great openers were 1) Bill Brown and Fingleton..

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information