Page 235 of 482 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 7226

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Is Clarke's the faster double century in test history? Got to be close. On the other hand I'm I the only one wondering why when South Africa play Australia the outcomes have to be so...surreal? 434 chased down in an ODI being an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Also nice to see Riggins post a bit today in his hunt for 1,000 posts. Good stuff.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

To be honest, it's also the fact that you rarely, if ever, see 500 being taken off a half-decent attack (and let's face it half the attack was still quite decent. Morkel bowled OK today and got treated like an absolute club pie-chucker after tea) in a day. Or a double century being scored from the middle order in two sessions. Or 100 being put on in 10 overs!

Guarantee you that a lot more people will remember today than will remember, say, one of Pattinson's brilliant spells at the MCG which took two wickets. Yeah, perhaps the latter may be better cricket from a bat vs. ball POV, but rarity has a quality of its own.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Is Clarke's the faster double century in test history? Got to be close. On the other hand I'm I the only one wondering why when South Africa play Australia the outcomes have to be so...surreal? 434 chased down in an ODI being an example.
    Nathan Astle made one off about 155 balls or something, mere days after Gilchrist got the record making 204 off 210

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Haha, not even remotely close

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Haven't heard anyone suggest Clarke's knock has anything on his South African one, or even the double ton up at Brisbane. Nobody's talking it up as the best 100 or 200 they've ever seen - it's more about his remarkable consistency and weight of runs in the past 12 months.

Apart from the South African one, I reckon every big ton from Pup has some sort of caveat - India's poor attack, pitches that wouldn't be out of place on the M5 or injured South Africans - but irrespective 1200+ runs at 140 for the year is ridiculously consistent.

I think you're leaning towards a straw man here, to be perfectly honest. Nobody has brought up Sangakkara or Jayawardene in-thread*, nobody has championed this innings ahead of Sanga's 192 in Hobart (to make but one example), and I'm pretty confident everyone here rates that knock in South Africa as Clarke's best (perhaps second to the 329 on sheer weight of runs).

tl:dr - everyone is praising Clarke for his form this past year as a whole, not this knock in isolation.

*as far as I can see
    Nah lots of people have been going on about what an amazing knock/day of Test cricket this has been. I brought up Sangakkara and Jayawardene myself because I'm sure no-one would go into the India in Sri Lanka thread saying that sort of stuff after one of them knocked up a double ton at the SSC. The vast majority of posts in there would be about how dead the pitch was and how bad for cricket it is, yet here we've got the same thing and it's all praise.

Personal thing really but I find cricket on a wicket like this absolutely terrible to watch frankly and I get frustrated by the double standards that are applied to the Adelaide Oval by the Australian public.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 22-11-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    it was an amazing knock/day of Test cricket though
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I'm pretty sure Sanga and Jayawardene would be praised if they put on 500 on Day 1 on a Test. Seriously.

we praised them for the 600 odd stand iirc

and yeah a couple called out the pitch. we were calling out the pitch on the first hour. and then some quite amazing performances happened.

really, the game after lunch never slowed down enough for us to get into a flat track debate

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Nah lots of people have been going on about what an amazing knock/day of Test cricket this has been. I brought up Sangakkara and Jayawardene myself because I'm sure no-one would go into the India in Sri Lanka thread saying that sort of stuff after one of them knocked up a double ton at the SSC. The vast majority of posts in there would be about how dead the pitch was and how bad for cricket it is, yet here we've got the same thing and it's all praise.

Personal thing really but I find cricket on a wicket like this absolutely terrible to watch frankly and I get frustrated by the double standards that are applied to the Adelaide Oval by the Australian public.
    The only people who hasn't acknowledged the roadness of this pitch has been NUFAN afaik.

You're just making up things. If Sri Lanka make almost 500 in a day of test cricket I'm sure everyone will acknowledge it's been an extraordinary day of test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Looks a mother****ing road.
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Not sure if serious. The pitch looks fine and very un-road like.
    Can't you see the solid double lines up the middle?
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    What about the bounce. boi.

Non road.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    we praised them for the 600 odd stand iirc

and yeah a couple called out the pitch. we were calling out the pitch on the first hour. and then some quite amazing performances happened.
    A world class batsman scored a double ton on a complete road against a depleted bowling attack. Never saw it coming!

The only people who hasn't acknowledged the roadness of this pitch has been NUFAN afaik.

You're just making up things. If Sri Lanka make almost 500 in a day of test cricket I'm sure everyone will acknowledge it's been an extraordinary day of test cricket.
    I guess this is one of those "everyone cares a lot more about scoring rates than I do" moments then.

We're not praising just the fact he scored a double ton though. We're praising the fact that he basically squeezed four and a half sessions' worth of batting into three (or two and a half if you want to be nitpicky).

Thread Information