• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Uvelocity on this one.

Johnson's head is far too fragile to risk him in a Test. As h4x as he is when you put him on the WACA, I wouldn't want him playing ahead of Starc, Haze or Butterworth. He may very well give you 8/60, but the risk of 0/100 at 5 an over is too great, IMO.

uvelocity

International Coach
The definitive article on Johnson is here.
We expect that our sporting stars be robust in thought, as well as deed; that they wear emotional armour. But sports people are human too. They share the doubts and difficulties of us mortals too.
I like you burgey but if you're happy with weak minded ****s like this playing cricket for our country we need to sort some **** out.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's simple. He's a *****. When the going gets tough he gets going. But put him on his favourite patch of dirt and a bit of his batting comes off and he think's he's king of the world again - unstoppable.

cut from a different cloth than what we need

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a little bit simplistic to write off action problems, inaccuracy and general poor form as "weak-minded". With the action that he bowls with, he's inherently not going to have the consistency of someone like Steyn and is going to go through fluctuations in form. Coming from a non-Australian perspective, I think you guys are a bit harsh on him. I would pick him as a 4th seamer on pacey wickets.

That said, I think the Aussie bowling lineup for the remainder of this series should be Siddle, Starc, Pattinson, Lyon.

Ideally I think Siddle is more of a first change bowler, but I don't think Pattinson is quite ready to be the spearhead.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
what's with Australia's aversion to playing Watson as a batsman? His record is pretty decent isn't it? average of 37 odd and all that experience.

OTOH Quiney needs to be given a decent run. Not a good policy to give a batsman one dig.

uvelocity

International Coach
it's his leg sore. If he can't bowl he can't run between the wickets, chase a ball to the boundary or dive at slip.

will struggle to be ready for lanka imo