• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Valer

First Class Debutant
So has anyone got to 1000 runs in 11 innings or less before?
MoYo in 9 at the end of 06. Didn't start at the start of the year hence only partially "better"

192 Eng//Leeds
128 The Oval
192 WI//Lahore
56 Multan
102 Karachi
32 Sa// Port Elizabeth

1025, You can also take his 15 in the 2nd innings at Manchester to fit it into a calendar year.

Also SCG 2010 for an eaiser 100

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Hussey will never face easier circumstances - however it was the perfect innings for the situation. Jumped on anything with width and ensured we didn't lose the advantage by having a collapse similar to SA.
Which is why we still have to reserve judgement for the Ashes. Would be more challenging in SS than today.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Absolutely can't wait for tomorrow. This has got to be up there with our best ever days in test cricket. We have gone from being basically written off at 3-40 (and 410 behind) to putting South Africa in a position where quite frankly the game is theirs to lose.

In all honestly I am expecting that when we declare or get all out SA will probably just bat the remaining 2 sessions without any troubles. But would be amazing to see Mike ton up and Clarkeh rack up another trip.

Briony

International Debutant
Absolutely can't wait for tomorrow. This has got to be up there with our best ever days in test cricket. We have gone from being basically written off at 3-40 (and 410 behind) to putting South Africa in a position where quite frankly the game is theirs to lose.
In all honestly I am expecting that when we declare or get all out SA will probably just bat the remaining 2 sessions without any troubles. But would be amazing to see Mike ton up and Clarkeh rack up another trip.
Only fools wrote Australia off. Last night there was nothing in SA's bowling to suggest a collapse, especially with no spinner and Kleinveldt out of his depth. With no swing on offer Steyn and Philander's major weapons disappeared.

We've seen this script before several times in the past year. Only cricket novices thought Australia was gone.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd definitely be declaring before lunch. Personally I'd think of declaring over night, just to give as much time as possible to the bowlers.
It doesn't really give them more time though because the lead is so small. If they take all three sessions tomorrow to bowl South Africa out then they'll pass Australia's score by then anyway. Declaring with more time left and giving the bowlers more time aren't the same thing; runs give the bowlers more time too.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd definitely be declaring before lunch. Personally I'd think of declaring over night, just to give as much time as possible to the bowlers.
There's pretty much no point in declaring 37 runs ahead. There's no pressure on the batsmen as you won't bowl them out for 36...the only way for Australia to maximise their chances of winning is to get a reasonable amount of runs ahead and then pile on the pressure with the ball for a couple of sessions.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Wen to bed when AUS were 157/3. Now I got up and check cricinfo to see they are 487/4. Wtf Dale, Vernon, Morne?
Regret I had to go to bed and couldnt watch Clarke's double.

Seems I will have to try watching the whole day 5 :)

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
There's pretty much no point in declaring 37 runs ahead. There's no pressure on the batsmen as you won't bowl them out for 36...the only way for Australia to maximise their chances of winning is to get a reasonable amount of runs ahead and then pile on the pressure with the ball for a couple of sessions.
Only we get bowled out for scores like that :ph34r:

If Clarkeh can bring up another 300 tomorrow he will officially be the greatest guy ever. In fact, if I am to get completely ahead of myself I would put my money on him scoring 3 triple centuries before Sehwag does. WAFG.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
It doesn't really give them more time though because the lead is so small. If they take all three sessions tomorrow to bowl South Africa out then they'll pass Australia's score by then anyway. Declaring with more time left and giving the bowlers more time aren't the same thing; runs give the bowlers more time too.
It's all about the risk, for me. The longer you stay out the better chance you have of bowling them out while they are behind. This means that time you spent out there to gain that lead is wasted.

I highly doubt Australia fears batting a second time as South Africa have no spinners in the team to speak of and given the time left they won't have to spend more than 40 overs out there batting in any case.

Spark

Global Moderator
So I think we can safely say that Brisbane won't be getting many more marquee Tests any time soon. Show up, ****s.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Who killed the GABBA wicket? No hope for a result really with the time left and quality of batting on both teams.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I think we can safely say that Brisbane won't be getting many more marquee Tests any time soon. Show up, ****s.
Brisbane hasn't drawn big crowds outside Ashes tests for a whole iirc. I went to a WI test there in the early 00s and they closed half the ground.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brisbane a pretty obvious ground to trial day/night tests if they can come up with a ball

Yeah there's no point declaring overnight. They may as well back themselves to smash their way to a few more runs