• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Briony

International Debutant
Really happy to see Cowan bring up his first ton. Thought he batted really well yesterday, and to see him go on with it is very pleasing. Haven't seen the run out yet, but I imagine he'd be disappointed getting out like that.

We should be able to rack up 700 by just before tea tomorrow afternoon and then roll SA for 95. Although, at the pace SA bats it'd take them 85 overs to get it...so I'll call it a draw.
A big psychologica advantage for Australia being on top in this test. With Smith bowling SA is in concession mode; not a great sign for a so-called #1 team.

Clarke may not benefit from complacency from bowler but he certainly benefits from facing an older ball and bowlers who are not quite as fresh. It is why he should go in ahead of Ponting who for years had to put his balls on the line in the toughest spot below openers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Clarke has gotten his career average above 50 now, and is really starting to get a brilliant career record.

Average of 50 - tick
Score over 300 - tick
20 centuries - tick
Good record against best bowling attacks - tick
Runs at difficult times - tick

I just think he needs to improve his overseas record a bit, some may say he needs to move up the order but I don't think its necessary.

Spark

Global Moderator
He came in the 10th over IIRC, don't think "facing an older ball" was any benefit this time around.

Think all this most recent centuries have come from 3/not-many, tbh

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:D

I was just taking the piss. Clarke's effort cannot be solely credited to any complacency teh bowlers may have had. It was a very good knock.
Haha, he's done well. Wasn't that confident we wouldn't be 5 down at the end of play yesterday when he came in.

If I was Clarke I'd bat on tomorrow for a while and see how SA are going to approach it. The more you can make Steyn, Morkel and Philander bowl the better given the short time period for these 3 tests...but if they're just stuffing around with part-time bowlers then maybe get a decent amount ahead and give the bowlers a crack at scaring the SA bats before the next test.

Son Of Coco

isn't it obvious that if I was a native French, I would never even be a part of any cricket discussion, let alone watching a game and predicting events in it? :P
I thought the declaration factor in the game might have attracted the French. Although you can't declare the bowling when you're getting a flogging, so maybe not. :sleep:

Edit: I think we need to send Amla to get his action checked. He's throwing hand grenades.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't believe batting on will achieve much. Smith will cease bowling his key pace trio and rely on part-timers. Wouldn't mind the declaration to come now TBH.

Briony

International Debutant
Clarke has gotten his career average above 50 now, and is really starting to get a brilliant career record.

Average of 50 - tick
Score over 300 - tick
20 centuries - tick
Good record against best bowling attacks - tick
Runs at difficult times - tick

I just think he needs to improve his overseas record a bit, some may say he needs to move up the order but I don't think its necessary.
It's actually Hussey who is cashing in on these situations.

His average was over fifty last year but was low 49 coming in to this test. It will probably fluctuate. Given his poor average at #4 he probably does need a tick re. being able to sustain a high average coming in as a top order batsman. Surely those who open and come in early garner more respect.

Australia really driving the nail into SA. Surely their attack will start to doubt themselves.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think its an absolutely bad idea to just keep on batting and declare say 150 in front. We only need 9 wickets, its not completely unthinkable as Scaly was saying yesterday actually and now Taylor is saying.

Son Of Coco

A big psychologica advantage for Australia being on top in this test. With Smith bowling SA is in concession mode; not a great sign for a so-called #1 team.

Clarke may not benefit from complacency from bowler but he certainly benefits from facing an older ball and bowlers who are not quite as fresh. It is why he should go in ahead of Ponting who for years had to put his balls on the line in the toughest spot below openers.
We were three for **** all...the ball wouldn't have been that old. You could argue that the openers have it easy because at least they know the ball will be new...3-5 could be facing a new ball or one that's 50 overs old.

He came in after Ponting got 0, so you know...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Apparently he has given up bowling. Just shows you how desperate this attack is.

Major victory Australia.

Pathetic from the Proteas today.
Unhappy camper today Briony?

South Africa simply had one of those days. Ball did little, no backup spinner to rest the decent seamers and several unrewarded good deliveries by Morkel and Steyn.