• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
cbf checking through two or more mammoth threads to check if someone else has pointed this out, but I enjoyed the fact that both England and South Africa scored 325-4 today.

(Also enjoyed the fact that India didn't).

Howe_zat

Audio File
People slag off Dernbach constantly. But for a series like this, where our front liners are being rested, who do people want to see ahead of him?
If Dernbach and Meaker aren't the ones to be calling up from domestic cricket because their records don't warrant it, then whose records do?
Meaker's been picked because he's quick and they want him around the England coaches to see if he can be a Test player.

Dernbach's been picked because of a myth, and I'd rather play literally anyone, Meaker included, of the bowlers to have played for England in the last couple of years. If he's in the side, I'd rather part timers bowl his 10 overs. He's that bad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Meaker's been picked because he's quick and they want him around the England coaches to see if he can be a Test player.

Dernbach's been picked because of a myth, and I'd rather play literally anyone, Meaker included, of the bowlers to have played for England in the last couple of years. If he's in the side, I'd rather part timers bowl his 10 overs. He's that bad.
:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
blimey pews taking over smali from what is considered funny, maybe it's programming has gone wrong.
The post started off so level-headed and serious and then turned to me having to imagine Howe captaining a side that contained Dernbach and not giving him one solitary over, instead turning to the likes of Bell and Pietersen to combine for his ten overs. It was just such an unexpected second paragraph. :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The post started off so level-headed and serious and then turned to me having to imagine Howe captaining a side that contained Dernbach and not giving him one solitary over, instead turning to the likes of Bell and Pietersen to combine for his ten overs. It was just such an unexpected second paragraph. :laugh:
yeah, I apologize, comic gold....

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
:laugh: Though Bell does have a lower ODI bowling average than Dernbach... :ph34r:

Stapel

International Regular
Busy arse day today, someone summarise the day's play in less than 100 words please.
England scored big on a big scoring deck, after winning the toss. Mostly because the outfield was really, as in really, quick. Patel (44 of 20) was the big gun late in the innings as England got 38 of the last two innings.

India weren't too far behind. But Tredwell kept the rate down and took 4 wickets.

The unsung hero prize goes to Joe Root. Didn't get a swing at it, but bowled 9 tidy overs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England scored big on a big scoring deck, after winning the toss. Mostly because the outfield was really, as in really, quick. Patel (44 of 20) was the big gun late in the innings as England got 38 of the last two innings.

India weren't too far behind. But Tredwell kept the rate down and took 4 wickets.

The unsung hero prize goes to Joe Root. Didn't get a swing at it, but bowled 9 tidy overs.

And I thought it was a pretty good win. The top 6 did their jobs, even if I thought we were going to be about 50 runs short of a par score until Patel got us somewhere close. And most of the bowling was respectable against an experienced batting side who would have fancied chasing 350 in those conditions, especially against that attack.

Tredwell did far better than we had any right to expect, and I don't see him claiming 4 for 44 every time. Which means the batsmen will need to do even better if we are going to stay competitive, as our bowling still looks like a weakness out there. But we've already done better than in the previous two series in India, which in itself exceeded most folks' expectations.

I'd still like to see Buttler in the side, as I think he could develop into a serious threat. Root's economical bowling makes that unlikely just yet. I can't see any other reason why he has leap-frogged JB into the team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd still like to see Buttler in the side, as I think he could develop into a serious threat. Root's economical bowling makes that unlikely just yet.
He should be in for Kieswetter IMO. It's not like CK is actually a good gloveman anyway. No need to drop Root even if he does appear to be playing in a slightly strange role.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
btw three rest days after each of these games sounds like at least one day too many.

I'm sure the players from both sides would prefer the series to finish sooner rather than later, and I don't see any commercial reasons for stringing it out like this.