• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Okay let me put it this way. Which do you find more likely:
1. Batsman in good form gets out early.
2. Batsman in retched form scores a fast, fluent hundred.

The nature of batting is such that a single low score tells you a lot less about a player than a single high score. For example, Bradman got a lot more scores close to 1 than Chris Martin did close to 100. Standard deviation grows as mean grows.
I agree that 2 low scores don't mean someone who has been in really good form is automatically out of form, but after a really long run of poor form, how is one century enough to say anyone is in really good form?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I agree that 2 low scores don't mean someone who has been in really good form is automatically out of form, but after a really long run of poor form, how is one century enough to say anyone is in really good form?
:huh: His last 5 international innings scores read 114, 52, 19,17 and 27.. You call that a long run of poor form?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In the last year he's got 4 half centuries in 9 Tests and averaged 35.5 - are you trying to say that isn't a long run of poor form and one ton in a FC match is enough to overlook that?

In the year before he got 2 tons and 3 other half centuries in 10 Tests averaging 45.31 so that he's averaging a smidgen over 40 in the last 2 years.

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I really am at a loss to respond to that. So apparently batsmen aren't supposed to be picked after a lean year even if they produce an excellent innings in domestic cricket? I am not sure I follow you here.

Also you said "after a long run of very low scores", I don't really think a batsman like Tendulkar tends to differentiate between test form and one day form, not after the career he has had over a two and almost half decades. He had a lean year by his standards, and after having three stupendous years, I believe he is entitled to an average one. The latest innings suggest he is far from finished, and I did not claim he is going to score a hundred every inning this series either. I just suggested he is in "some" form.

Oh and btw, talking about averages, here's a list of English batsmen's averages over the last year here,

KP - 42
Trott - 37
Bairstow -37
Cook - 36
Prior - 34.6
Strauss - 33
Bell - 31
so on and so forth...

Apparently it seems the entire English batting lineup is hence out of form, doesn't deserve a look in and must be replaced with better players?

What was your starting XI again?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Ranji update:

Sehwag is back after an injury threat, and is not out on 21 at cop, batting at no.6 in the second innings vs UP. Gambhir is showing slow but steady signs of returning to form, having scored a brisk 47 off 63 balls. Kohli too scored a rapid 43 off 65 before being caught behind.

Some not so encouraging news on the bowling front as Ojha returns figures of 2-202 from 50 overs against Punjab. But he has done better than his Punjab counterpart Harbhajan Singh as far as wickets are concerned (20 overs 39 runs no wickets for the Sardar). Meanwhile Zaheer Khan had a reasonable warmup match, and has taken 1-41 from the 20 overs in the game vs Railways, on what suggests to be an easy pitch. However, there is a bit of injury scare as he walked off before completing his 22nd over clutching his groin.

Pankaj Singh, the much ignored domestic stalwart, having clocked his 15th fifer in 62 games in the first innings against Bengal, has followed it up with another 3 cheap wickets for just 15 runs, and in the process keeping his state in contention. Bengal however, thanks to its first innings performance, leads by 206 runs with 5 wickets in hand. Things could change if Pankaj and Co. execute a swift end, and then its upto the Rajasthan batsmen to bring home the points. I think he deserves a test call up ahead of the likes of Dinda and even Ishant Sharma, who had a disappointing outing with 2-88 against UP.

Pujara had a satisfying outing against the tourists with a polished 80 odd.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Apparently it seems the entire English batting lineup is hence out of form, doesn't deserve a look in and must be replaced with better players?
I wouldn't disagree with that. As for the second part, I don't think Marc is saying that Tendulkar should be dropped, just that he's out of form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I really am at a loss to respond to that. So apparently batsmen aren't supposed to be picked after a lean year even if they produce an excellent innings in domestic cricket? I am not sure I follow you here.
Show me where I said he shouldn't be picked? All I said was how come one innings is enough to say he's now in form when the last 2 years have suggested something opposite from that. I was highlighting your double standards regarding form.

Also you said "after a long run of very low scores", I don't really think a batsman like Tendulkar tends to differentiate between test form and one day form, not after the career he has had over a two and almost half decades.
No, he's been actually averaging less in ODIs than Tests over the last 2 years...

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Show me where I said he shouldn't be picked? All I said was how come one innings is enough to say he's now in form when the last 2 years have suggested something opposite from that. I was highlighting your double standards regarding form.

No, he's been actually averaging less in ODIs than Tests over the last 2 years...
Two hundreds and a fifty in his last 6 "innings that matter" (Internationals and FC) and yet you say he is still out of form. If that's not a bloody compliment, I don't know what it is!

Have a good Sunday evening.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How did this Root chap end up on tour? I just clicked on his cricinfo profile, and his recent form is appalling. Mainly 20/20, granted, but the recent first class performances are as bad if not worse.
tbf Morgan and Samit have both had worse FC seasons with the bat, and they're still in so..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Root gone for 24 in the England reply with Compton still there on 16* off 48. Needs to make it count if he's to give himself any chance.

Looks as if Sammy ran through the Mumbai "A" tail too; 3/44 to go with his 60 in the first knock. Making a pretty compelling case for inclusion, IMHO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't be arsed linking but read an article on cricinfo yesterday that suggested Flower and Cook had basically ruled out opening with Trott or Bell, so I'd reckon Compton will be in the box seat in he can even get to 50 here while looking reasonably assured. It's an extremely tame attack by any standards so he really should be able to if he's in any sort of nick at all.

Haven't checked the score in about 10 minutes, mind, so he's probably already out or something.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Should point out that Root getting the best batsman on the opposition (by some distance) out could work in his favour. Bowled more than Samit (whose three wickets all came against the bottom four..) here, so his offies may even allow Bairstow to play ahead of Patel if he's preferred to Compton as opener.

Last edited:

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
India's squad has been announced

Squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Cheteshwar Pujara, R Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Pragyan Ojha, Ajinkya Rahane, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, M Vijay, Zaheer Khan