• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Gambhir is apparently set to return for the final day, but if he's not able to open what will India's plan be? I guess Pujara opening or will they try something fancy?

Pujara to open with Virat at # 3 could work.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF, the guy was seen off in both innings, possibly deserves another chance.
Yeah, I mean we know he is almost certainly never going to be really good enough but did feel sorry for him today.

Monty is bound to come in for Bresnan I would have thought.

If he is fit then I would be tempted to go with Finn over Broad as well, even if it would make for a more traditional style England tail.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir is apparently set to return for the final day, but if he's not able to open what will India's plan be? I guess Pujara opening or will they try something fancy?

Pujara to open with Virat at # 3 could work.
Certainly no one would expect Tendulkar to move around in the batting order for the good of the team.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly no one would expect Tendulkar to move around in the batting order for the good of the team.
I'd much prefer Tendulkar to stay in the middle order in case of a collapse or something. And Pujara is the in-form batsmen so it would make more sense to open with him, because it'll become harder to score once the ball gets older, in case the RR required is high.

Burgey

I'd much prefer Tendulkar to stay in the middle order in case of a collapse or something. And Pujara is the in-form batsmen so it would make more sense to open with him, because it'll become harder to score once the ball gets older, in case the RR required is high.
Yeah but why won't Tendulkar move up to three then?

He's played more Test matches than I've had hot dinners. Wear one for the team ffs.

WAC.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but why won't Tendulkar move up to three then?

He's played more Test matches than I've had hot dinners. Wear one for the team ffs.

WAC.
Because India have Kohli for that, in fact, if not for Pujara, Kohli would be India's preferred # 3 batsmen. It's a bit like Laxman and Dravid all over again, where Laxman would have liked to bat at # 3 if Dravid wasn't there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every single time someone criticised Tendulkar for not batting #3 when Laxman was in the team, it was downright stupid. It is well documented that Laxman's favourite position is #3 and Tendulkar's favourite position is #4. Whenever Dravid opened or was not playing, it was in the best interests for Indian cricket for Laxman to play #3 and Tendulkar #4.

Laxman would have been India's #3 if Dravid never existed (how sad would that have been, a world without Rahul :()

This time, whether having Tendulkar at 3 instead of Kohli is the better call, is a decent argument. But all the other times Tendulkar was criticised for not batting 3 ahead of Laxman was just ridiculous.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Every single time someone criticised Tendulkar for not batting #3 when Laxman was in the team, it was downright stupid. It is well documented that Laxman's favourite position is #3 and Tendulkar's favourite position is #4. Whenever Dravid opened or was not playing, it was in the best interests for Indian cricket for Laxman to play #3 and Tendulkar #4.

Laxman would have been India's #3 if Dravid never existed (how sad would that have been, a world without Rahul :()

This time, whether having Tendulkar at 3 instead of Kohli is the better call, is a decent argument. But all the other times Tendulkar was criticised for not batting 3 ahead of Laxman was just ridiculous.
true but there's more chance of tendulkar opening the innings than batting at 3. :laugh:

Burgey

CBF going back through the thread, but has much comment been made on Yadav's bowling this innings? I haven't seen all of it, but what I have seen has been pretty impressive tbh. He looks a pretty damn good prospect imo.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
CBF going back through the thread, but has much comment been made on Yadav's bowling this innings? I haven't seen all of it, but what I have seen has been pretty impressive tbh. He looks a pretty damn good prospect imo.
Yeah, it's always exciting watching him bowl. Even when he's giving up runs, there's something about him unlike the other younger generation of Indian bowlers that doesn't frustrate me.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah, it's always exciting watching him bowl. Even when he's giving up runs, there's something about him unlike the other younger generation of Indian bowlers that doesn't frustrate me.
He just pushes it through at a decent clip and he gives it a chance to swing by generally bowling full. I hope he isn't coralled into trying a differnet method, because atm it works well for him. Hope he's kept away from ODIs and T20s because it'll bugger up the length he bowls for tests.