• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
India into their 7th session in the field in a row. Must be starting to tie. Why I think they should have batted again after bowling England out.

Is there a better opener in the world right now?

No imo.
Neck and neck between him and Smith IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, least we have gone past 300 which means whatever happens in this series now we haven't reached the depths of ineptitude that India did in England. I know this is just polishing a turd but needs must at times like this.

As for Captain Cook, brilliant effort. Suppose his standing in world cricket has risen again and a set of new records to boot being the first captain to score a century in his first three tests as skipper as well as the highest score by an England captain in India. Best English opener since Boycott?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even if one considers Sehwag the current best (I don't, ftr), it's certainly not "hands down".

Interesting both Smith and Cook are technically limited lefties who know their games.

Proper openers, in other words.

benchmark00

Even if one considers Sehwag the current best (I don't, ftr), it's certainly not "hands down".

Interesting both Smith and Cook are technically limited lefties who know their games.

Brumbeh, surely you are smart enough to realise he was joking.

Cook is a clear #1 in my eyes. Smith #2 though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

And both arguably make tougher more important runs than any other openers around. Shows a nice technique and cover drive can be overrated, especially for openers.

flibbertyjibber

Cook is a clear #1 in my eyes. Smith #2 though.
I'd still say Smith over Cook for now. That bugger has done it on so many vital occasions to win close games which Cook hasn't done as yet. Not much between them and add in Sehwag as well and him with either would be a fantastic opening duo of contrasting styles.