• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

srbhkshk

International Captain
Thinking of the Indian ODI ATG side after the triumph in SA, general problem always tends to be that most of the great batsman are openers -

S Tendulkar
R Sharma
V Kohli
V Sehwag
Y Singh
MS Dhoni (+)(*)
K Dev
A Agarkar
Z Khan
A Kumble
J Bumrah

ATG batting till 6 with capable big hitters at 7,8 and even 9, Kumble no mug either, 4 pace and 2 spin options, Sehwag was brutal against spinners so seemed like the best option to give the #4 position to. Bumrah the controversial selection, but he has been better than any LOI Indian pacer I have ever seen.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Short Lived XI (some of the best cricketers to die before their time)

Phil Hughes
Reg Duff
Victor Trumper
Archie Jackson
Frank Worrell (c, 5)
Hansie Cronje (6)
Jock Cameron (w)
Hedley Verity (4)
Amar Singh (2)
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Ken Farnes (3)

Colin Blythe could come in for Ken Farnes on a turner.
And Collie Smith for Cronje for all sorts of reasons, cricketing and non-cricketing

harsh.ag

He has Gilly's record basically. Not nothing to write home about. Although agree with the Ganguly > Sehwag comment.

stephen

You do need someone to make runs quickly in that first powerplay. Sehwag was better at that than Ganguly.

35@104 is a better record in many ways in ODI cricket than 42@74 when you're partnering the player with Tendulkar and have an ATG batting lineup behind you.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Why don't you pick any other low average/high SR batsman if you are only looking at high SR? His average is 35 which is ok, nothing to write home about
And Kohli's SR is 92 which in this era is ok, nothing to write home about.

These are records from Sehwag's debut to his last match -

Batting Records

He has the second highest strike rate, and the one guy above him averages 23.

smash84

The Tiger King
He has Gilly's record basically. Not nothing to write home about. Although agree with the Ganguly > Sehwag comment.
You do need someone to make runs quickly in that first powerplay. Sehwag was better at that than Ganguly.

35@104 is a better record in many ways in ODI cricket than 42@74 when you're partnering the player with Tendulkar and have an ATG batting lineup behind you.
The point is that Sehwag was primarily an opener and there are much better candidates than Sehwag for that slot. Besides what was so great about sehwag? I can't remember any great innings from him off the top of my head. Any time a good bowler came on to bowl there was a good chance sehwag would **** his pants. Ganguly, Dhawan, even Rohit might be better picks than Sehwag.

smash84

The Tiger King
And Kohli's SR is 92 which in this era is ok, nothing to write home about.

These are records from Sehwag's debut to his last match -

Batting Records

He has the second highest strike rate, and the one guy above him averages 23.
I was about to write in my previous post that sehwag was the shahid afridi of India. This list proves I was right :p

smash84

The Tiger King
off the top of my head Ganguly, Dhawan, and possibly even Rohit Sharma are better options than Sehwag for opening.

And let's not even talk about the middle order where sehwag was being slotted in that team mentioned above

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
can you refresh my memory with some great sehwag innings so maybe i can change my mind?
9th Match, Coca-Cola Cup (Sri Lanka) at Colombo, Aug 2 2001 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
4th ODI, England tour of India at Kanpur, Jan 28 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
11th Match (D/N), ICC Champions Trophy at Colombo, Sep 22 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
1st SF (D/N), ICC Champions Trophy at Colombo, Sep 25 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
2nd ODI, India tour of New Zealand at Napier, Dec 29 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
6th ODI (D/N), India tour of New Zealand at Auckland, Jan 11 2003 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
1st ODI, India tour of Pakistan at Karachi, Mar 13 2004 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
2nd ODI, Pakistan tour of India at Visakhapatnam, Apr 5 2005 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
1st ODI, Pakistan tour of India at Kochi, Apr 2 2005 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
2nd ODI, India tour of Pakistan at Rawalpindi, Feb 11 2006 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
2nd Match (D/N), Kitply Cup at Dhaka, Jun 10 2008 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
5th Match, Group B (N), Asia Cup at Karachi, Jun 26 2008 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
1st ODI (D/N), India tour of New Zealand at Napier, Mar 3 2009 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
4th ODI (D/N), India tour of New Zealand at Hamilton, Mar 11 2009 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Not including his double hundred as it wasn't that good, but it was a fair achievement regardless. Also I made it clear why him at 4 is not a poor choice, the guy's problem in life was swing and bounce, not spin or field restrictions.

Edit - fixed the horrible formatting.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
so basically he used to boss it in JAMODIs and no good in major tournaments?

As opposed to someone like dhawan who does really well in big tournaments? Or even ganguly who brings decent medium pace along with great opening skills?

sunilz

International Regular
Players like Sehwag and Anwar who don't even average 25 against AUS/SA two best ODI team of their era should never be considered for any AT XI . Sehwag never scored century against AUS and SA. Anwar has only 1 50+ score in 54 innings against AUS and SA .
Sehwag is at best in 4th position for opening position India's AT XI after Dhawan, Ganguly and Rohit.

srbhkshk

International Captain
so basically he used to boss it in JAMODIs and no good in major tournaments?

As opposed to someone like dhawan who does really well in big tournaments? Or even ganguly who brings decent medium pace along with great opening skills?
Not sure if it's your intention to shift the goal posts as we go along, but it does seem like that's all you have been doing.

In the three trophies of significance he played - World Cups / Champions Trophy and Asia cup, he improves his average to 40 and SR to 107.

Has centuries against England , Pakistan and Bangladesh and half centuries against virtually every country.