• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Referring to Cribb's Standardised Average Process:

Code:
Rank       Bowler                           Mat      Wkt      Avg         St. Avg         Lon            Value
8	        GD McGrath (Aus)	123	     560	  21.69	  23.30	       10.75	  3.326
15	        AK Davidson (Aus)	 44	     186	  20.53	  22.36	        8.31	  2.818

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
That would require a very long post. But just take my word on it that I did a lot of work to arrive at those numbers.:)

I will share all my ratings eventually, but for now, I am happy to post standardised averages of any players you want.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think people are trying to reinvent the wheel, just to be different. Mcgrath makes out AT XI first team, and was a key member of one of the greatest teams in history. I do think that in a way he benefitted from the overall lack of quality bowlers in the 00's but he is an automatic choice for the 11alobg with Lillee and Miller and if he had to make way for anyone it would be for Lindwall.

As far as England then is concerened, Larwood, Snow, Bedser or Tate? Also since it was raised Pietersen or Barrington. I would go for Pietersen and Snow myself, but know how highly some rate Larrwood, so would suggest Larwood and Pietersen.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think people are trying to reinvent the wheel, just to be different. Mcgrath makes out AT XI first team, and was a key member of one of the greatest teams in history.
Is this an admission of your ignorance of Alan Davidson?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Late 50's - 60's med fast lh bolwer with a Garner like average and quite high s/r. Great bowler, not better than Lindwall or Mcgrath.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Three points...

- am I right in saying everyone is picking Warne, O'Reilly and Lillee in the AT Australian side? In which case I think one of Lindwall or Davidson to bat at 8 is a pretty reasonable call, much as I admire McGrath.

- Barrington averaged 77 at number 3, and only 41 at number 5. So if you're going to pick him in an England all-time side, pick him at number 3. But then most people don't want to pick all of Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe because having Hutton or Sutcliffe at number 3 will mean two very slow players in the top order. So how does Barrington fit into the mix?

- also don't understand the Larwood love. If you want to pick someone just because they're quick, pick Tyson, who averaged 10 runs per wicket less.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think people (including myself) are picking Larwood based on his domination of English country cricket in the 1930s, rather than his test record, which he was never allowed to build on after the Bodyline series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly Out-There English ATG XI
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
KS Ranjitsinhji
Denis Compton
Wally Hammond
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Botham
Maurice Tate
Godfrey Evans
Harold Larwood
Sydney Barnes
(Fred Trueman)

smash84

The Tiger King
Late 50's - 60's med fast lh bolwer with a Garner like average and quite high s/r. Great bowler, not better than Lindwall or Mcgrath.
I hope you didn't miss out on Davidson's standardized average and SR which is easily comparable to McG. Secondly, his batting (and fielding?) was considerable better than McGrath too. So, as I said, Davo haters can suck it :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
lawl.....
Care to add something to the discussion?

I love good old Davo, but there is definitely merit to suggesting Lindwall or McGrath in his place; McGrath dominated the modern era in a similar way to Davidson, whereas Lindwall was a statistical equal to them both, by all accounts a yard quicker and could bat as well. All three are in and around consideration if we lock O'Reilly, Warne and Lillee as three of the four bowlers.

Lindwall has the benefit of combining best with Miller; McGrath has the sheer volume of wickets and Davidson has the variety of being left armed. All have benefits, and none would weaken the XI.

watson

Banned
Slightly Out-There English ATG XI
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
KS Ranjitsinhji
Denis Compton
Wally Hammond
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Botham
Maurice Tate
Godfrey Evans
Harold Larwood
Sydney Barnes
(Fred Trueman)
I think that if you're going to do an 'Out-there' XI then Frank "I AM the Attack" Woolley should be in it. He would strengthen the bowling a little bit too.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I think people (including myself) are picking Larwood based on his domination of English country cricket in the 1930s, rather than his test record, which he was never allowed to build on after the Bodyline series.
But Bill Bowes has an even better first class average and a test average of 22, and no-one picks him in their best all-time England sides.... Maurice Tate is another who averaged sub-20 in first class cricket but had (much) better test figures than Larwood.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
But Bill Bowes has an even better first class average and a test average of 22, and no-one picks him in their best all-time England sides.... Maurice Tate is another who averaged sub-20 in first class cricket but had (much) better test figures than Larwood.
Because the game isn't all about statistics.

On CW we tend to rule by the numbers - a bowler with an average .02 runs lower must be exponentially better than the other, X didn't perform in India so Y gets the gig, if we adjust Stat A for era and narrow it down to matches beginning on a Wednesday Bowler X has a hole in his record, so Bowler Y gets selected - it ends up getting completely ridiculous.

There's an element of the rose tint, sure, but what would humans be as a species without romanticism? Why can't we look back at a man like Larwood, who bowled with fire before bowling with fire was cool, and rate him above a bowler with a slightly better average? Why can't we look past the numbers and see that he tamed Bradman, that his career was cut hopelessly short by injury and administrators? Why must we be ruled by the statistics?

If we were purely ruled by numbers, how boring would selecting XIs be? Where would the game be? "So, promising young bowler A paid 27 runs per wicket in the CC this year. Old County Pro B paid 26. He gets the gig".

Larwood had an aura about him that no other bowler can match. His name struck fear into batsmen, and he changed the game forever. Forget the statistics, forget bowling averages. He reformed cricket in a way no bowler ever has, or ever will do.

Its another reason why Frank Worrell always makes my WI All Time XI. His value is far more than can be expressed in statistical analysis. Larwood is the same.

Ask Tangy, ask Jager. Ask any of the Larwood supporters and I'm sure they'll agree (at least to an extent). The statistics of Harold Larwood paint a picture wholly different to reality. He cannot be expressed in numbers (as beautiful as mathematics is).

In my mind, he was the greatest bowler of all time, bar none. And no amount of numbers being thrown at me will change my mind. Ever.

watson

Banned
Because the game isn't all about statistics.

On CW we tend to rule by the numbers - a bowler with an average .02 runs lower must be exponentially better than the other, X didn't perform in India so Y gets the gig, if we adjust Stat A for era and narrow it down to matches beginning on a Wednesday Bowler X has a hole in his record, so Bowler Y gets selected - it ends up getting completely ridiculous.

There's an element of the rose tint, sure, but what would humans be as a species without romanticism? Why can't we look back at a man like Larwood, who bowled with fire before bowling with fire was cool, and rate him above a bowler with a slightly better average? Why can't we look past the numbers and see that he tamed Bradman, that his career was cut hopelessly short by injury and administrators? Why must we be ruled by the statistics?

If we were purely ruled by numbers, how boring would selecting XIs be? Where would the game be? "So, promising young bowler A paid 27 runs per wicket in the CC this year. Old County Pro B paid 26. He gets the gig".

Larwood had an aura about him that no other bowler can match. His name struck fear into batsmen, and he changed the game forever. Forget the statistics, forget bowling averages. He reformed cricket in a way no bowler ever has, or ever will do.

Its another reason why Frank Worrell always makes my WI All Time XI. His value is far more than can be expressed in statistical analysis. Larwood is the same.

Ask Tangy, ask Jager. Ask any of the Larwood supporters and I'm sure they'll agree (at least to an extent). The statistics of Harold Larwood paint a picture wholly different to reality. He cannot be expressed in numbers (as beautiful as mathematics is).

In my mind, he was the greatest bowler of all time, bar none. And no amount of numbers being thrown at me will change my mind. Ever.
In Praise of Pragmatism - Why being Best is Better than being Great.

There is a difference between being great, and being the best. So while something can be the greatest of it's type, it is not necessarily the best of its type.

Cars are a good example of this. The Model-T Ford is probably the greatest car of all time because it transformed the automotive industry, but in a quarter mile drag race it would be thrashed by a 1976 Datsun 120-Y. We can all admire the beauty and V8 rumble of a 1980 Corvette, but it would be no match for any contemporary Porche 911 in a race around a Formula 1 circuit. The Corvette may be a great in terms of style and animal magnetism, but the Porsche handles better and goes around the hair-pin bends of a track faster.

In cricketing terms we could use the example of Bernard Bosenquet. It could argued that while Larwood is the greatest fast-bowler of all-time, Bosenquet is the greatest spin-bowler of all time. Why? Because he transformed the art of spin bowling by inventing the googly. Leg-spin bowling was never the same after Bosenquet.

However, I've never seen Bosenquet selected for any All Time Great team. Instead cricket lovers choose the likes of O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, and Warne. The answer for this is simple - in all probability they bowled the googly better, and applied their trade of leg-spin better. In other words we choose these men because they represent the best.

Which brings me to the point. Larwood maybe the greatest fast bowler in the last 150 years because he is an archtetypal demigod, but Malcolm Marshall, Dennis Lillee, Curtly Ambrose, Richard Hadlee, Imrans Khan, and Alan Donald all have one thing in common - they are simply better than Larwood at getting batsman out. The records and numbers say so.

Last edited: