• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Viv is no doubt the best ODI batsman (best No. 3) of all times. However, considering the batting slots of players, and the overall line-up I thought Ponting would be a better pick, as he is also a great captain and a great fielder. Also, we have AB to add to the overall firepower. However, in bowling, think there is enough firepower and variety.

By the way it's quite a challenge to pick the best 11, considering how many greats have played the game. Interested to know your best eleven.

No Viv Richards in that team must be a joke. And no Garner. ODI cricket didn't start in mid 90's

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
ODI Fielding XI

Adam Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd
Andrew Symonds
Paul Collingwood
Roger Harper
Wasim Akram
Brett Lee
Joel Garner

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv is no doubt the best ODI batsman (best No. 3) of all times. However, considering the batting slots of players, and the overall line-up I thought Ponting would be a better pick, as he is also a great captain and a great fielder.
I suppose we could argue over the relative merits of their captaincy (neither man was without their faults in that respect), but it sounds like you're implying that Viv wasn't a great fielder. He's one of the very best all-round fieldsman the game has ever seen.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
definition of athleticism. remember watching him live doing backflips again and again in the champions trophy final back in sometime around 2000 and he was doing it purely for entertaining the crowd. It was some sight.

I think he is under rated when we discuss about all time great odi "cricketers"

midge

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
True, Viv was a great fielder, but Ponting's captaincy record is better, so I picked him. Anyways, there are no right or wrong answers, the idea is to know which playing eleven people would pick.

I suppose we could argue over the relative merits of their captaincy (neither man was without their faults in that respect), but it sounds like you're implying that Viv wasn't a great fielder. He's one of the very best all-round fieldsman the game has ever seen.

watson

Banned
Deserves a mention.....

01. Graham Gooch
02. Marcus Trescothick
03. David Gower
04. Alan Lamb
05. Kevin Pietersen
06. Alec Stewart
07. Andrew Flintoff
08. Ian Botham
09. Graeme Swann
10. Darren Gough
11. Bob Willis

Went for the under-rated Bob Willis as his Economy Rate is world class, even for his era (eg. Garner = 3.1), and because of his 2 excellent World Cup efforts.

ODIs
Ave = 24
Econ R = 3.3
SR = 45

World Cup (79 & 83)
Ave = 18
Econ R = 2.7
SR = 39

watson

Banned
Never seen Colin Bland, but I can't imagine better inner-circle fielders than either Rhodes or Harper. Harper I reckon is the best fielder of all time because he was magic in the slips as well.

I rate the following catch by Harper at third slip as the greatest slips catch I've seen any where any time. The reason being is that Dean Jones was playing a leg-glance, not an off-side shot. The anticipation needed to catch such a bullet 'at all the wrong angles' is just incredible.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Random AT XI of players not usually picked

Trumper
Hayden
Amla
Weekes
Compton
Ames (wk)
S.Pollock
Lindwall
Ambrose
Steyn
Laker

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Film star lookalike XI

Gavaskar (Bert Reynolds)
Hobbs (Boris Karloff)
Bradman (Meryl Streep)
Richards (Will Smith)
Tendulkar (George Clooney)
Sobers (Sidney Poitier)
Knott (Roddy McDowall)
Marshall (Denzil Washington)
Warne (Marilyn Monroe)
Lillee (Groucho Marx)
Murali (Doug Spearman)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers more Eddie Murphy in his playing days - rather more like Morgan Freeman in his grumpier moments now though

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
International XI (england gets an extra player due to having played the most tests)

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman*
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Andy Flower+
Shakib Al Hasan
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Dale Steyn
Muttiah Muralitharan