• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is no way that Shaun Pollock makes my all time SA side and there is no way that Dudley Nourse is South Africa's greatest middle order bat.

Don't discuss..
I dont know enough about Nourse to comment on him, but can't really see why you wouldn't at least consider S.Pollock. One of the most consistent cricketers ever, and as a bowling allrounder he is one of the best ever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I have considered him, like he makes my South African all time squad but I can't justifiably select him in my starting XI with the assumption that I'm trying to win the match and everyone who has represented South Africa is available.

Red

I have considered him, like he makes my South African all time squad but I can't justifiably select him in my starting XI with the assumption that I'm trying to win the match and everyone who has represented South Africa is available.
Yeh, fair enough, I agree with you on reflection. I reckon his equivalent Australian is Allan Davidson. Pretty similar. Starters in a second XI, but not quite enough strike power to warrant a place over other quicks in the first XIs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn deserves a look for that team and additionally Graeme Pollock.is S.A. greatest middle order batsman, followed by Kallis, any other after that. And yes South Africas team is very strong and I rank them third ahead of England

Jager

International Debutant
Here is a black and white reel from 1924 entitled;

It seems that by the mid 1920s Herbie Taylor was very highly regarded by the British media. I wonder who the other two batsman are? Hobbs would be one I'd imagine.
Sutcliffe for sure

watson

Banned
Sutcliffe for sure
Yes, probably Sutcliffe. Although Charles Macartney is in with a shot as Australia's premier batsman of the 1920s. Warren Bardesley was probably past it by 1924 although they both retired in 1926.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
unconventional SA XI

1. Barry Richards
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Herbie Taylor
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. Lee Irvine+
8. Clive Rice
9. Mike Procter
10. Van der Bijl
11. Allan Donald

I believe this team has the potential to challenge any ATG XI. Actually this is my favorite SA XI with Colin Bland as 12th man.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
unconventional SA XI

1. Barry Richards
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Herbie Taylor
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. Lee Irvine+
8. Clive Rice
9. Mike Procter
10. Van der Bijl
11. Allan Donald

I believe this team has the potential to challenge any ATG XI. Actually this is my favorite SA XI with Colin Bland as 12th man.
Omitting the second greatest allrounder is a tad 'unconventional'.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Omitting the second greatest allrounder is a tad 'unconventional'.
Weird right I know but can't find a place albeit Kallis love. The only player from that XI I can take out maybe is Rice, but I dont want to bat Kallis in any lower than 5. Herbie Taylor might make a room for Kallis at no 3 but if matches are played in difficult pitches, Herbie Taylor is needed.

Or, maybe the solution is to put Herbie Taylor to open instead of Bruce Mitchell and play Kallis at 3; but this is not a serious XI, made it just for fun.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
unconventional SA XI

1. Barry Richards
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Herbie Taylor
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. Lee Irvine+
8. Clive Rice
9. Mike Procter
10. Van der Bijl
11. Allan Donald

indeed

Red

Just reading and considering the all-rounder thread and wondering how much you can mess around with all-rounders in an ATG team before it fails on you...

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Garfield Sobers
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Richie Benaud (c)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall

-Only three players selected as batsmen alone. They are highly capable.
-Number 11 has a batting average of almost 20.
-Sobers, Miller and Gilchrist form a highly attacking middle order.
-Lower order of Imran, Benaud, Hadlee and Akram would make collapses highly unlikely.
-Seven genuine bowling options mean that all out attack on the batting team when bowling.

Days of Grace

International Captain
My all-time West Indies XI
Gayle
Greenidge
Richards
Lara
Worrell (c)
Sobers
Dujon (wk)
Marshall
Ambrose
Garner
Holding
12th man: Gibbs

Days of Grace

International Captain
My all-time New Zealand XI
Sutcliffe
Turner
Fleming (c)
Crowe
Donnelly
Reid
McCullum (wk)
Cairns
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond

Last edited:

Red

NZ XI

01. Stewie Dempster
02. Glenn Turner
03. John Reid
04. Martin Crowe
05. Stephen Fleming
06. Andrew Jones
07. Chris Cairns
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Dan Vettori
10. Ian Smith
11. Shane Bond

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think Ian Smith is overrated as a wicketkepper against McCullum and, to a lesser extent, Parore, due to the fact that he played in New Zealand's most successful era.

I'd take McCullum over him anyday.

And no New Zealand team should leave out Bert Sutcliffe.

smash84

The Tiger King
Just reading and considering the all-rounder thread and wondering how much you can mess around with all-rounders in an ATG team before it fails on you...

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Garfield Sobers
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Richie Benaud (c)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall

-Only three players selected as batsmen alone. They are highly capable.
-Number 11 has a batting average of almost 20.
-Sobers, Miller and Gilchrist form a highly attacking middle order.
-Lower order of Imran, Benaud, Hadlee and Akram would make collapses highly unlikely.
-Seven genuine bowling options mean that all out attack on the batting team when bowling.
Not a bad team at all

Hadlee might be a handy addition....
misses out NZ's greatest cricketer :laugh:

Red

I think Ian Smith is overrated as a wicketkepper against McCullum and, to a lesser extent, Parore, due to the fact that he played in New Zealand's most successful era.

I'd take McCullum over him anyday.

And no New Zealand team should leave out Bert Sutcliffe.
Ian Smith was a fine keeper, and a very good actor as well.