• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Flem274*

123/5
Canterbury could probably field a reasonable team by themselves. Hadlee, Bond and Cairns would make the bowling attack.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The Mumbai XI is pretty decent actually. Would probably trounce Bengal every time
Mumbai is the cricket capital of India. They've produced most of the great batsmen from Merchant to Tendulkar.

West Bengal cricket was nothing special before the arrival of Ganguly, in spite of one Ranji win. Nowadays we see good quality cricketers produced there like Shami, Saha, Tiwary etc.

I think Karnataka and Delhi XIs will also be better than West Bengal XI.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Can't leave out Darren Gough. He's a better bowler than Bowes and strengthens the batting - and he'd blub uncontrollably on talkSPORT.
On a par with Bowes imo but I'd play both and ask Appleyard to carry the drinks. Actually if anything I'd probably play Hirst over the lot of them.

the big bambino

International Captain
Surrey XI

01. Jack Hobbs
02. John Edrich
03. Ken Barrington
04. Peter May
05. Graham Thorpe
06. Alec Stewart
07. Percy Fender
08. Bill Lockwood
09. Jim Laker
10. Alec Bedser
11. Tom Richardson

Not sure whether it's a 'State of Origin' team, but it's pretty close I think.
Batting is great but just love the bowling. Tom Richardson :wub:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
David Warner
Victor Trumper
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Alan Davidson/Richie Benaud
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Flametree

International 12th Man
On a par with Bowes imo but I'd play both and ask Appleyard to carry the drinks. Actually if anything I'd probably play Hirst over the lot of them.
These state / county / province xi's are interesting in you have to decide whether to pick players who performed in test cricket vs for their province etc. Hirst's test record is decent but no more, but I was aware he's a legend for Yorkshire. I went with those who made a dent at test level, rightly or wrongly...

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
Canterbury could probably field a reasonable team by themselves. Hadlee, Bond and Cairns would make the bowling attack.
You'd have to check the eligibility rules - didn't Cairns start life with Northern Districts? In fact, NZ players tend to move around a lot so one of the hardest parts of making up provincial all time xi's would be deciding on a method to allocate players to provinces.

watson

Banned
01. Nathan Astle
02. Graham Dowling
03. Stephen Fleming
04. Brian Hastings
05. Craig McMillan
06. Brendon McCullum
07. Chris Cairns
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Dick Motz
10. Shane Bond
11. Paul Wiseman

a massive zebra

International Captain
A team made up of my favourite players among those I have seen:

Virender Sehwag
Herschelle Gibbs
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Kumar Sangakarra+
A.B. de Villiers
Aravinda da Silva
Dale Steyn
Curtley Ambrose
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

A team made up of players from the past that I would have liked to see:

Victor Trumper
Lionel Palairet
K.S. Ranjitsinhji
David Gower
Gundappa Viswanath
Archie Jackson
Frank Woolley
Barton King
Ray Lindwall
Jack Blackham+
Michael Holding

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I've been thinking, and for an atg team, Procter just didn't play enough tests. WAG tho.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Marshall
Warne
Murali
McGrath

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A team made up of players from the past that I would have liked to see:

Victor Trumper
Lionel Palairet
K.S. Ranjitsinhji
David Gower
Gundappa Viswanath
Archie Jackson
Frank Woolley
Barton King
Ray Lindwall
Jack Blackham+
Michael Holding
I can agree with that, although having had the pleasure where Holding, Gower and Vishy are concerned I'd replace them with Stan McCabe, Gilbert Jessop and Harold Larwood

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
6 bowlers?
Sobers will, in all likelyhood, not be needed to bowl. He's there purely on his batting ability. If Marshall, McGrath, Imran, Warne and Murali can't get 20 wickets, idk who can. With Imran, Marshall and Warne the tail is fairly strong too.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
my all time test xi

gavaskar
hobbs
bradman c
tendulkar
richards
sobers (5)
gilchrist w
imran (3)