• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yorkshire would be contenders, particularly if someone could spray a hose on the wicket for a couple of hours before play....

Sutcliffe
Boycott
Hutton
Leyland
Jackson
Rhodes
Binks *
Verity
Trueman
Appleyard
Bowes

Possibly not enough batting in the lower middle order, but it will take oppositions a while to get there....

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yorkshire would be contenders, particularly if someone could spray a hose on the wicket for a couple of hours before play....

Sutcliffe
Boycott
Hutton
Leyland
Jackson
Rhodes
Binks *
Verity
Trueman
Appleyard
Bowes

Possibly not enough batting in the lower middle order, but it will take oppositions a while to get there....
Can't leave out Darren Gough. He's a better bowler than Bowes and strengthens the batting - and he'd blub uncontrollably on talkSPORT.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sutcliffe
Boycott
Hutton
Leyland
Jackson
Rhodes
Binks *
Verity
Trueman
Appleyard
Bowes

A classy combination - could improve the batting, and not significantly weaken the bowling, by substituting Wardle and Hirst for Appleyard and Bowes

watson

Banned
Surrey XI

01. Jack Hobbs
02. John Edrich
03. Ken Barrington
04. Peter May
05. Graham Thorpe
06. Alec Stewart
07. Percy Fender
08. Bill Lockwood
09. Jim Laker
10. Alec Bedser
11. Tom Richardson

Not sure whether it's a 'State of Origin' team, but it's pretty close I think.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Lancashire

Archie MacLaren
Cyril Washbrook
JT Tyldesley
Ernest Tyldesley
Michael Atherton
Andrew Flintoff
Warren Hegg
Richard Tyldesley
Ciss Parkin
Brian Statham
Roy Tattersall

Bit of a tail, and a shame I can't pick Jos Buttler or Glen Chapple, but still a cracking side

watson

Banned
Lancashire

Archie MacLaren
Cyril Washbrook
JT Tyldesley
Ernest Tyldesley
Michael Atherton
Andrew Flintoff
Warren Hegg
Richard Tyldesley
Ciss Parkin
Brian Statham
Roy Tattersall

Bit of a tail, and a shame I can't pick Jos Buttler or Glen Chapple, but still a cracking side
Johnny Briggs , Ken Higgs, George Duckworth, or Eddie Paynter perhaps?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Briggs for Tatt an excellent suggestion, and Little Eddie for Athers a good call too - not so sure about Ken Higgs - I prefer Parkin - the man I'd really like is Ted McDonald, but Tasmania is a little way from Oswaltwistle

Howe_zat

Audio File

Sutcliffe
Boycott
Hutton
Leyland
Jackson
Rhodes
Binks *
Verity
Trueman
Appleyard
Bowes

Under State of Origin rules we get Jim Laker tbf. As is though the only change to your side I'd make is include Hirst for Appleyard to add some steel to the lower order. Binks would probably bat at 10, and may well be superseded by Bairstow if he carries on his county career like he's started

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
West Bengal XI completely pales in comparison with some of the teams here, but still..

Arun Lal
Pankaj Roy
Devang Gandhi
Sourav Ganguly*
Manoj Tiwary
Ashok Malhotra
Wriddhiman Saha+
Utpal Chatterjee
Mohammed Shami
Ashok Dinda
Ranadeb Bose

fredfertang

Under State of Origin rules we get Jim Laker tbf. As is though the only change to your side I'd make is include Hirst for Appleyard to add some steel to the lower order. Binks would probably bat at 10, and may well be superseded by Bairstow if he carries on his county career like he's started
More to the point you get Glen Chapple

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Dilip Vengsarkar
Sachin Tendulkar
Polly Umrigar
Vinoo Mankad
Ravi Shastri
Farrokh Engineer
Padmakar Shivalkar
Subhash Gupte
Zaheer Khan

Damn good XI, though I couldn't think of another good fast bowler to pair Zaheer with. Team would win plenty at home, no doubt.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a Bengal XI (West Bengal + Bangladesh)

Tamim Iqbal
Pankaj Roy
Mominul Haque
Sourav Ganguly *
Shakib Al Hasan (4)
Habibul Bashar
Wriddhiman Saha +
Utpal Chatterjee (5)
Mashrafe Mortaza (2)
Mohammed Shami (1)
Ranadeb Bose (3)

Last edited: