6. Steve Waugh
    7. Adam Gilchrist+
    8. Richie Benaud
    9. Alan Davidson
    10. Ray Lindwall
    11. Clarrie Grimmett

12th - Glenn McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Muloghonto View Post
    It is intrinsically facile to compare a well established player with one who didn't play much. Having ATG accomplishments and having ATG skills are two different things, the latter i do not expect many on this forum to be able to identify simply because most here lack any real cricketing experience. That being said, the former is a product of the latter, compounded with opportunity, time and motivation.
    How does someone like a Shiv Chanderpaul fit in here, according to the experienced head of yours.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Let me clarify: Hutton knows what he's talking about. You don't.

Clear now?

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    1. Michael Slater (?)
    2. Archie Jackson
    3. Charles Macartney
    4. Steven Smith*
    5. Keith Miller
    6. Steve Waugh
    7. Adam Gilchrist+
    8. Richie Benaud
    9. Alan Davidson
    10. Ray Lindwall
    11. Clarrie Grimmett

12th - Glenn McGrath
    Forgot Jackson. And Trumper too.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    How does someone like a Shiv Chanderpaul fit in here, according to the experienced head of yours.
    Shiv, by no stretch of imagination, is a 'talented batsman'. He is limited in his strokeplay and his range of strokes is more befitting a journeyman first class performer. However, like Steve Waugh, Shiv is a testament to the fact that talent is not end all, be all 'must have' ingredient to success, a limited person can be just as successful as a limitless one, provided he/she knows their limitations and stays within it. Shiv is a perfect example of a batsman who knows his limitations and plays well within them. Coupled with a steely and unruffled mind ( Shiv is one of the few batsmen who does not mind being bogged down. He can play 40 straight dot balls and not exude the feeling of edgyness to score. He will score when he gets a ball to score, even if that ball comes next year), he is all about application over talent.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Let me clarify: Hutton knows what he's talking about. You don't.

Clear now?
    Are you Hutton's ghost ? If not, Hutton is not the one speaking here, its *YOU* who is presenting anecdotes about Hutton as a counterpoint to me presenting anecdotes from Amre.
    If Hutton is more qualified to talk on said matters than me (which he was), so is Amre in comparison to you.

Favourite Aussies at the moment

Warner
    Ponsford
    Ponting
    Chappell*
    Harvey
    Miller
    Gilchrist+
    Davidson
    Lindwall
    Grimmett
    O'Reilly
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. A.C Gilchrist 7. Imran Khan 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Favourite Ashes teams that I'd love to see in action;

01. Warren Bardsley
    02. Victor Trumper
    03. Donald Bradman
    04. Neil Harvey
    05. Stan McCabe
    06. Keith Miller
    07. Monty Noble
    08. Richie Benaud*
    09. Alan Davidson
    10. Bert Oldfield+
    11. Dennis Lillee

01. Jack Hobbs
    02. Herbert Sutcliffe
    03. Ted Dexter
    04. Peter May
    05. Denis Compton
    06. Ian Botham
    07. Alan Knott
    08. Wilfred Rhodes
    09. John Snow
    10. Fred Trueman
    11. Sydney Barnes
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Shiv, by no stretch of imagination, is a 'talented batsman'. He is limited in his strokeplay and his range of strokes is more befitting a journeyman first class performer. However, like Steve Waugh, Shiv is a testament to the fact that talent is not end all, be all 'must have' ingredient to success, a limited person can be just as successful as a limitless one, provided he/she knows their limitations and stays within it. Shiv is a perfect example of a batsman who knows his limitations and plays well within them. Coupled with a steely and unruffled mind ( Shiv is one of the few batsmen who does not mind being bogged down. He can play 40 straight dot balls and not exude the feeling of edgyness to score. He will score when he gets a ball to score, even if that ball comes next year), he is all about application over talent.
    Ahh, you're one of those guys who thinks Steve Waugh didn't have natural talent.

Revised….

- Victor Trumper
    - Mark Taylor *
    - Neil Harvey
    - Mark Waugh
    - Keith Miller
    - Allan Border
    - Allan Davidson
    - Jack Blackham +
    - Ray Linwdall
    - CTB Turner
    - Arthur Mailey

- Bruce Reid
    - Archie Jackson

I reckon that Gil Langley deserves a run in one of our ATG drafts as he sounds like a dude;

Even when wearing flannels, Gil Langley seemed to have stepped straight from a council dustcart, but he missed little behind the stumps after Don Tallon's withdrawal from Australia's 1949-50 tour of South Africa gave him a first overseas trip. Langley's rumpled kit, shambling gait and razor-edged appeal endeared him to team-mates, while his nine catches in the 1956 Lord's Test stood as an Australian record for almost 44 years. He actually began his first-class career as a batsman, and picked up some useful tailend runs in Tests, including a half-century at Bridgetown in April 1955. An outstanding Australian Rules footballer who represented his state, he was the Labour MP for Unley in South Australia's parliament for 20 years.

Gideon Haigh

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Ahh, you're one of those guys who thinks Steve Waugh didn't have natural talent.
    I used to think that too. He probably, like me only saw the last 1/3rd or 1/2 of Waugh's career where he cut out a lot of the shots he used to play when he was young. This made it seem that he wasnt a talented batsman and couldn't play all the shots in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I used to think that too. He probably, like me only saw the last 1/3rd or 1/2 of Waugh's career where he cut out a lot of the shots he used to play when he was young. This made it seem that he wasnt a talented batsman and couldn't play all the shots in the book.
    That's true.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Beyond the required 'above average hand-eye coordination' that is basic to all successful batsmen (even at FC level), no, i don't think Steve Waugh had much 'natural talent'. His reflexes were not particularly good and he was limited in his shot-play ( a consequence of not excellent ability to pick the line and length early). he didnt play the ball late either. But, he was very good in his shot-selection, a function of practice and had a very disciplined mind. As i said, in many a sport, you don't have to be an outrageous natural talent to succeed. its obviously the most common way to succeed, since cultivating and exercising immense mental fortitude is that much rarer in sport and virtually most non-academic related fields of life.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Beyond the required 'above average hand-eye coordination' that is basic to all successful batsmen (even at FC level), no, i don't think Steve Waugh had much 'natural talent'. His reflexes were not particularly good and he was limited in his shot-play ( a consequence of not excellent ability to pick the line and length early). he didnt play the ball late either. But, he was very good in his shot-selection, a function of practice and had a very disciplined mind. As i said, in many a sport, you don't have to be an outrageous natural talent to succeed. its obviously the most common way to succeed, since cultivating and exercising immense mental fortitude is that much rarer in sport and virtually most non-academic related fields of life.
    I think you've confused his unwillingness to play shots with him having an inability to play them bud. Good effort though, easy enough mistake to make.

Thread Information