• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

a massive zebra

International Captain
All Time England Foodstuffs XI

Alastair Cook
C.B. Fry*
Mark Butcher
Alan Lamb
Phil Mead
Fred Bakewell
Phil Mustard+
Graeme Swann
Walter Lees
Cec Parkin
Graeme Onions

12th Man: Sidney Kitcat

a massive zebra

International Captain
Embarrassing Surnames XI

Graeme Fowler
Arthur Fagg
Jack Crapp
Peter Willey
Gary Pratt
David ****
Reg Sinfield
Ron Hooker
Harry Butt+
Arthur Mold
E. W. Bastard

bagapath

International Captain
Puh-lease. AbdV, Kallis and McGrath the ones to beat on this point.
really? I agree all three are ATG cricketers. but imran is more than an ATG. he is actually one of only four legitimate contenders for the title of the greatest cricketer of all time (braddles, soby, doctor being the other three). even if that is not agreeable to you, you will agree that imran must have floored the maximum number of hotties around the globe. good enough to be my role model.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Chappell
Tendulkar
Sobers
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn.

Viv plummeting down my list while Steyn is now my second choice pacer. Barnes in for hadlee with murali in for warne every other day of the week.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not more talented than Gary Sobers surely?
I don't know exactly how exaggerated the apparent talents of ABdV are, but being good -- even if not the "professional" level claimed by a stack of sites -- at rugby, hockey, golf, swimming, tennis, etc. Plus he can sing well enough to be recorded and not utterly embarrass himself (even if the song was pretty mediocre), and comes across as a pretty damn good bloke as well.

Not to mention his cricketing ability.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not more talented than Gary Sobers surely?
Not strictly in a cricketing sense I suppose though ABdV is a scary good batsman and fielder along with being a tidy keeper but:

De Villiers was good at many other sports apart from cricket. He had been shortlisted for junior national hockey squad and junior national football squad. He was the Captain of South Africa Junior Rugby team. He has the fastest 100m time in SA junior athletics. He has a Golf handicap of scratch. He also received a national medal from late Nelson Mandela for a science project.
I'd also rather look like ABdV than Sobers or McGrath.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know exactly how exaggerated the apparent talents of ABdV are, but being good -- even if not the "professional" level claimed by a stack of sites -- at rugby, hockey, golf, swimming, tennis, etc. Plus he can sing well enough to be recorded and not utterly embarrass himself (even if the song was pretty mediocre), and comes across as a pretty damn good bloke as well.

Not to mention his cricketing ability.
Not strictly in a cricketing sense I suppose though ABdV is a scary good batsman and fielder along with being a tidy keeper but:

I'd also rather look like ABdV than Sobers or McGrath.
Wow. Fair enough. I didnt know abdv was so multi talented. Although Sobers probably more popular with the ladies wasn't he (so i'll probably take Sobers over abdv and mcg)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, being a devout Christian, ABdV is nowhere near Sober's class in being "popular with the ladies", so to speak.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What does his proficiency at other sports have to do with the cricket? He doesn't play other sports on a professional level, and so you guys too would be stuck playing just cricket if you were him. If you're going to be stuck playing one sport, might as well be someone better than ABDV.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ABdV for reasons given by Dan and Teja.

Kallis and McGrath because they both had solid careers, no drama or anything, seem like they have a great, relaxed life off the field, and seem to have good love lives, and are generally good blokes. Just a better all-round life than the likes of Imran, and Warne IMO.

Personally I would prefer to live in the modern age than Miller and Sobers' time, so that's a thing. Couldn't be a sub-continent cricketer anyways, way too much attention. Need a normal life off the field.