• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Niall

International Coach
We will know tonight what his future for England is if any.

Phil McNulty @philmcnulty · 37 mins 37 minutes ago
So @StewieCricket confirms to @bbc5live that @KP24 has left The Oval to meet Andrew Strauss & Tom Harrison. The plot thickens.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What exactly does this prove, though? That he's still a world-class batsman who is clearly far too god for this level of cricket?

We already knew that.
Before the season started, it was said that KP stood as much a chance as any provided he made runs. He left a lucrative IPL season for this. Then, he is scoring the runs. It shows, apart from the point that he might still deliver the goods (we weren't as sure as he was mainly playing T20 cricket before this), that he is hungry and wants to get back.

In how much time does KP become available for SA again, I wonder, if Strauss does close the door on him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
From kingcricket

Very few batsmen possess the qualities required to make you think you might be about to see something you’ve never seen before. Very few batsmen play the kinds of innings you feel compelled to send text messages about. It’s not about playing outlandish shots or scoring heavily, it’s a combination of brutality and endurance, a way of manhandling a match and pointing it in a new direction.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Before the season started, it was said that KP stood as much a chance as any provided he made runs. He left a lucrative IPL season for this. Then, he is scoring the runs. It shows, apart from the point that he might still deliver the goods (we weren't as sure as he was mainly playing T20 cricket before this), that he is hungry and wants to get back.

In how much time does KP become available for SA again, I wonder, if Strauss does close the door on him.
Pretty sure KP would need to move back to South Africa to play First Class cricket and play there for 4 years. By which time he'll be 38/39.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh man, if KP had just done this a year ago his case would have been watertight.

I'd bring him back for the seven Tests this summer assuming this wasn't a one off. But it would be a one shot deal (or seven shot deal). Ashes is too important. Dressing room can suffer for a couple of months. But beyond it all the other factors still seem to be at play so he can retire from tests then

Got to laugh at the clowns like Jono who think that this innings proves everyone wrong though, when all of us who turned against KP did so precisely because of his failure to even attempt anything of the sort last year. Jokes on you jackass.

Stapel

International Regular
lol @ Stapel... so many here said if he was serious about a comeback he will play a CC and score a ****load of runs.. He does that and then we get comments like the one above from Stapel.. damned if he does.. damned if he doesn't... :p
Haha yeah I actually agree with you. There were loads of comments here about how KP was **** now and how he doesn't deserve to get back in the team unless he gets county runs. Well, he still could be ****, but guess what, he's got runs and I'd hope those people would come out and admit that, atleast.
I must say I wasn't really aware many people felt KP would get another chance, provided he showed the business in FC cricket. Sounds even a bit naive to me.

I, for one, never thought he was crap! It seems pretty obvious to me he was never dropped for poor batting form. Pietersen was simply not dropped for a lack of runs! Don't get me wrong! It's not my opinion he should be out of England's XI. It's just that the real reasons for him being dropped, whether we agree or not, probably have not changed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How injured was he a year ago?

And frankly, **** the dressing room. Of those that KP actually confesses to having issues with, only Broad remains. I'm sure Ian Bell's a nicer bloke to get on with and is better for team harmony, but he's also ****ing pish and unlikely to score any runs this summer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How injured was he a year ago?

And frankly, **** the dressing room. Of those that KP actually confesses to having issues with, only Broad remains. I'm sure Ian Bell's a nicer bloke to get on with and is better for team harmony, but he's also ****ing pish and unlikely to score any runs this summer.
And what about the ones who have issues with KP? Like that Cook bloke, for example? It's not just about who KP likes is it

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Furball obviously wrong about Bell as well. Will get runs in England this summer.

Ballance to open.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be weird if Strauss dumps KP and goes with the "We don't want to look back" line right after England picked Trott (though admittedly not under his watch)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And what about the ones who have issues with KP? Like that Cook bloke, for example? It's not just about who KP likes is it
I would tell Cook that my job is to pick the 11 best available players for the job, his job is to take those other 10 players and win Tests.

A belliegerent KP with a massive chip on his shoulder and a point to prove (see Headingley 2012) is a weapon. Aim him in the direction of the Aussies, press fire and deal with the fallout.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Got to laugh at the clowns like Jono who think that this innings proves everyone wrong though, when all of us who turned against KP did so precisely because of his failure to even attempt anything of the sort last year. Jokes on you jackass.
Lol, such a huge wahh. Very entertaining.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"Joke's on me"

Yeah KP scoring 300+ is really making me look stupid...

If you just said you don't like KP and want him to **** off forever no matter how many runs he scores I'd get it. I really would. But the changing of the criteria as to what he needs to do to justify being selected is disingenuous.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
"Joke's on me"

Yeah KP scoring 300+ is really making me look stupid...

If you just said you don't like KP and want him to **** off forever no matter how many runs he scores I'd get it. I really would. But the changing of the criteria as to what he needs to do to justify being selected is disingenuous.
I can't speak for everyone but AFAIC what he needs to do to get selected is be young enough to make it worth it and be less of a **** so that he doesn't fall out with every team he has ever played for. Scoring 300 accomplishes neither of those things.

I mean I wasn't definitely for his dropping in the first place, as I don't think any of us here know enough about it to really judge. But the reasons were definitely not cricketing reasons and as such him scoring 300 is basically not relevant.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If him being a **** and too old was the problem, then criticising him for not playing county cricket doesn't make sense. So I presume you dgaf whether he played IPL or county.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If him being a **** and too old was the problem, then criticising him for not playing county cricket doesn't make sense. So I presume you dgaf whether he played IPL or county.
Correct, hence why I said I can't speak for everyone. I'm with you regarding those criticising him for not playing country cricket and yet still not giving him any credit.