• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

burr

State Vice-Captain
Err what? This is like the opposite of what happened. It's patently obvious that it's the texts that killed him.
It was the final straw, sure, but the real issue (in my opinion) was the damage Pietersen's 'pick and choose' attitude was doing to the team. England are trying to create a legacy built around an era of greatness built upon a great team. One player does not a great team make. I know the IPL wasn't a factor in the early 2000s but there is no way Warne would have been allowed to de-select himself from the great Australian side, and I truly don't think he would have asked.

Spark

Global Moderator
We simply don't know. Hayden definitely seems to be suggesting that he might have. It's very easy to sit here, now, and claim that they would/wouldn't have done this or that when they weren't ever actually faced with such a decision.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't care about the texts. I don't care about what he has to say and I don't care who he said it to. I care not a jot about Andrew Strauss' hurt feelings and I don't especially don't give a flying **** about why KP did any of it.

I'm a selfish **** and I care about the actual cricket. I want to see KP play and I want to punch a wall.
Do you care about winning?

This isn't KP being a ****, its him undermining his team. How the **** does Strauss go out and bat with KP in a partnership chasing down a total to win the test, and facing Dale Steyn, knowing that his partner is more than happy to mock him and thinks he's a bunny to Steyn.

The atmosphere in the England dressing room would have been borderline toxic if they were to select KP after this. People who are saying England are weaker without KP are thinking of perhaps a year or so ago. Now they could very well be stronger as a unit.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Look, I can buy the long-term argument but there is no way in hell this team will be a stronger team for KP's absence come Thursday. The fact does remain that without his innings, the series is probably already gone by now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but KP didn't send texts before the 2nd test.

Its a whole different ballgame when you don't trust the guy you walk in to battle with. Even if KP would do well in the third, the rest of the team would hardly be in the right mindset. Its not KP vs. South Africa.

NickDB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
From the article

"Matt Prior is the most selfless of cricketers, as can be seen whenever he bats, and now, off his own back, he decided to ring Pietersen to try to get to the bottom of why his team-mate had barely conversed with the England team for months.
"

Bugger, now I'm going to feel slightly bad if we get Prior out, that was rather decent of him.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Just as an interesting aside, apparently with the advent of FB and twitter narcissism is no longer considered a personality disorder

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/views/30mind.html?_r=1
That's quite a surprise.I'm not qualified to comment, but Pietersen looks a pretty acute case these days & I don't see how it can be anything but trouble in such a team sport. Does the staff not include someone with at least an inkling of these matters?

NickDB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's quite a surprise.I'm not qualified to comment, but Pietersen looks a pretty acute case these days & I don't see how it can be anything but trouble in such a team sport. Does the staff not include someone with at least an inkling of these matters?
I think their thinking was that it still exists, it's just so common that it's no longer considered a disorder but normal.

Jager

International Debutant
Bugger, now I'm going to feel slightly bad if we get Prior out, that was rather decent of him.
Indeed, champion thing to do in the situation. I would hazard a guess that it was one of the reasons behind KP's U-Turn.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but KP didn't send texts before the 2nd test.

Its a whole different ballgame when you don't trust the guy you walk in to battle with. Even if KP would do well in the third, the rest of the team would hardly be in the right mindset. Its not KP vs. South Africa.
As grecian mentioned earlier, it reminds me of the Dane Swan suspension itbt

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Piers Morgan on the 5live cricket show in a few minutes to back KP... it's going to be awful guys, don't miss it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apparently Goughy wants to know if the texts between England players who aren't KP will be checked for any anti-KP comments