• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would like the best test team to play. The development point is nice but come the Ashes do I want to see the side which develops the best or the one that has the best chance winning it? I would prefer the second option. Same goes for an important tour in India or v South Africa say.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I would like the best test team to play. The development point is nice but come the Ashes do I want to see the side which develops the best or the one that has the best chance winning it? I would prefer the second option. Same goes for an important tour in India v South Africa say.
But I doubt there'd be a big enough gulf of difference in the qualities of Pietersen and the young player to make it worth going for KP and then it'd be worth just going with the youngster.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
We don't know this. It depends on so many variables. Form and ability at the time will let us know re this.

andmark

International Captain
We don't know this. It depends on so many variables. Form and ability at the time will let us know re this.
But we can make a reasonable estimate of the abilities of players like Ballance who are constantly playing by keeping track of their performances. Ballance for example has heavily impressed in Test Cricket and so he is worth investing in instead of taking Pietersen's runs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't think we can answer this question right now. Right now he has to discuss with ECB clearly if they feel he has a fair chance, play first class cricket reasonably well to show he is good enough for at least 9-10 games this season and one can go from there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ya..

Ganguly was a polar figure in his last days. He made a test come back. He had a pretty epic 2007 which also meant India won its first test series in England since 1986.

2008 was atrocious for him but would I want any one else in that team in 2007?

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Ganguly had a lot of desire to come back ththoughHow much desire KP has depends on KP and the men who matter as far as English selections go.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No one as there is no question of KP coming for the next series. Would have him over Bell or Ballance if KP is playing like KP.
Pratters, all of your comments in this the thread have been so far off the mark it's not funny.............but this one takes the cake. Clearly you can't or don't differentiate between test and one day cricket with these players.

Even though I don't for a second believe that KP is this great asset discarded and the answer to all of English cricket problems, lets just assume for a second that he is. As a passionate English supporter I can tell you hand on heart that I would rather lose without him than win with him.

We don't want him back mate.

andmark

International Captain
You're a fool.
When we've had years of hearing him in the news involved in virtually all the major controversies in modern English cricket, it just get's too tiresome to the point where I really would take series defeats in order to avoid him in the news.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When we've had years of hearing him in the news involved in virtually all the major controversies in modern English cricket, it just get's too tiresome to the point where I really would take series defeats in order to avoid him in the news.
That won't stop KP being in the news.

andmark

International Captain
That won't stop KP being in the news.
But what can he really do if he's not in the team other than daft, snide criticisms? He'd be a very publicised Geoff Boycott at worst and the non-sporting media would eventually lose interest because he'd have no real power other than column inches.

morgieb

You're a fool.
Yeah no matter who the player is, you'd prefer to win no matter what in my eyes. Maybe I'm more willing to overlook personality flaws than several blokes here though, dunno. Not sure if it applies to KP's case these days anyway either.

morgieb

But what can he really do if he's not in the team other than daft, snide criticisms? He'd be a very publicised Geoff Boycott at worst and the non-sporting media would eventually lose interest because he'd have no real power other than column inches.
That's basically what he's been doing for the last twelve months, and.......

andmark

International Captain
That's basically what he's been doing for the last twelve months, and.......
He'll eventually just lose things to say on the condition of the changing room (as his book was aimed at revealing) and so begin to lose anything he could really add other than impressions on performances and maybe some stuff he didn't say in the book. People may begin to respond to him (I really hope they don't bother), but it would bound to be less publicised than KP's book was because it'd be the likes of Matt Prior saying it- not the superstar Pietersen. Pietersen would probably respond but I'd really be astonished if any of it would be as heavily publicised as the book itself. Not to mention this will all happen whether or not he's in the side; and so his being in the side just adds more room for controversy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As a passionate English supporter I can tell you hand on heart that I would rather lose without him than win with him.
You got what you wanted fellas. You lost to Bangladesh in Australian conditions to the might of the Bangladeshi fast bowlers.