• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KP is paying the price of the details of his book, how can they trust him when he has slaughtered nearly every player he has ever stepped onto a cricket field with in an England shirt?

It has all been handled very badly and was a Graves mistake.
Wow, is it a good read?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So could KP claim loss of income based on them telling him to not go to the IPL?
Yeah. I would also want him to claim loss of income for putting his England career on hold for almost two years by giving a false impression about him in the media.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So could KP claim loss of income based on them telling him to not go to the IPL?
Doubt it, would imagine he'd have to take Graves up on that as it was his loudmouth that got us to this position.

He says nothing and KP would have been in India for the last month or so and nobody would be questioning the ECB and Strauss.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
fmd, seriously? You're all the same dolts who will have a cry when someone says none of the runs Root and Ballance have got so far should count because they've been bashing the very worst attacks in test cricket. Be a bit reasonable ffs.
Not saying it shouldn't count. But the reality is Pietersen has still done very little to actually warrant a place in the side on merit over the last two years. Obviously there's complications, because we know he was a world class test batsman before that, but I don't think one knock makes it a given that he's more likely to get runs this summer than Ian Bell, or a better option to open than Adam Lyth.

I think the ECB have handled this very badly. They could have still used the wait and see response for the NZ tests and reassessed before the Ashes. Instead they crumbled under the pressure of one innings and basically admitted they didn't want to pick him for non cricketing reasons.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyway Steve Davies was more unfairly treated than KP and he's probably done more this summer. Got a double and now a 57 ball ton. Where can I apply to be his Piers Morgan?

Spark

Global Moderator
Not saying it shouldn't count. But the reality is Pietersen has still done very little to actually warrant a place in the side on merit over the last two years. Obviously there's complications, because we know he was a world class test batsman before that, but I don't think one knock makes it a given that he's more likely to get runs this summer than Ian Bell, or a better option to open than Adam Lyth.

I think the ECB have handled this very badly. They could have still used the wait and see response for the NZ tests and reassessed before the Ashes. Instead they crumbled under the pressure of one innings and basically admitted they didn't want to pick him for non cricketing reasons.
It's worth noting, though, that those "complications", if ignored, would have seen us ending the careers of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey years earlier than was reasonable.

flibbertyjibber

Anyway Steve Davies was more unfairly treated than KP and he's probably done more this summer. Got a double and now a 57 ball ton. Where can I apply to be his Piers Morgan?
You just hope his treatment isn't because he is gay. Disgraceful if it is.

Good to see him recover his best form after a troubled few years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know no one is saying either of those things, including KP himself. He expected to be in the running for a place if there was a replacement needed for the current 3-5.

Btw, Surrey scoring at an insane pace because they have to get 216 off 24 overs. The state of the pitch couldn't matter less.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's with the "oh, it's a road" responses anyway? Has any 300+ score ever been made on a pitch which wasn't an international-standard landing strip?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's worth noting, though, that those "complications", if ignored, would have seen us ending the careers of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey years earlier than was reasonable.
Did Ponting actually do anything after his Hobart double that was really above average? Hussey was almost dropped and many on here wanted him to be, and Clarke hasn't really had a poor year or two since he turned 30.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did Ponting actually do anything after his Hobart double that was really above average? Hussey was almost dropped and many on here wanted him to be, and Clarke hasn't really had a poor year or two since he turned 30.
Nah, but he was still clearly worth a spot in the team, not least because he took up the role of shadow VC and handled a lot of the mentoring/team-cohesion stuff that Clarke would struggle with once he was gone. On pure runs Ponting was below par but that wasn't all he was contributing -- and in a stronger side, we know he would have retired earlier (and helped his record, just as a note)

Point is, world class Test batsmen with world class records aren't common enough to be throwing them away just because they have a bad trot of form and some young bloke puts a few scores together. (Same logic applies with Cook, of course)

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You know no one is saying either of those things, including KP himself. He expected to be in the running for a place if there was a replacement needed for the current 3-5.

Btw, Surrey scoring at an insane pace because they have to get 216 off 24 overs. The state of the pitch couldn't matter less.
Nah lots of people are. There's been loads of "what more could he have done?" after one knock and there's still a large proportion of people that consider KP England's best current batsman.

As for the final sentence, pitches are precisely the reason these types of chases so rarely happen in FC cricket when similar ones are done all the time in T20. The fact they can do it indicates the pitch is of international limited overs standard.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah lots of people are. There's been loads of "what more could he have done?" after one knock and there's still a large proportion of people that consider KP England's best current batsman.

As for the final sentence, pitches are precisely the reason these types of chases so rarely happen in FC cricket when similar ones are done all the time in T20. The fact they can do it indicates the pitch is of international limited overs standard.
To be honest until not long ago, people wouldn't even have considered such a chase possible regardless of the pitch condition, so that's a bit of a moot point. Definitely an element where T20 and massive ODI chases have affected the longer format.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, but he was still clearly worth a spot in the team, not least because he took up the role of shadow VC and handled a lot of the mentoring/team-cohesion stuff that Clarke would struggle with once he was gone. On pure runs Ponting was below par but that wasn't all he was contributing -- and in a stronger side, we know he would have retired earlier (and helped his record, just as a note)
OK but in that respect he's the complete opposite of KP, who is considered a damaging influence on team environment etc. In that respect not only can he not get away with a "below par on pure runs" he probably needs to get more than your average Ian Bell/Gary Ballance would get.

I think in the end that's why he was sacked post Ashes. Not really one thing or another, but they just didn't think he was worth enough in runs to put up with the other shenanigans when Joe Root couldn't make the Sydney test side.

flibbertyjibber

To be honest until not long ago, people wouldn't even have considered such a chase possible regardless of the pitch condition, so that's a bit of a moot point. Definitely an element where T20 and massive ODI chases have affected the longer format.
Even a couple of years ago there was a chase of around 250 in 40 overs that was aborted early as they couldn't score at the rate. Shows how things have changed in even a short time like that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd be keeping an eye on him now that he's given away the gloves. I don't know if he's fallen away but he should have opened in ODI cricket a lot more than he did and if he's still doing well then he should be in contention in the pyjamas.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah, he could get some good money out of the ECB. There is no doubt the ECB has defamed him and caused him financial harm as a result of the bias of a few of its powerful members imo in the form of Cook, Strauss and co.
Hahaha, are you ****ing joking?

There's not even the remotest possibility they have done this. I don't wish to have to pull rank on you, but you do not have a ****ing clue what you are talking about.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They dropped him out of the team for not being a team player. Say they still have trust issue. That's defaming. You need members of Surrey and Alex Stewart to say they have found no issues with him. As KP said, trust is a two way street. Why should just KP pay the price of it I wonder.
Lol no.